Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fix Advice On Focus St

captainsmarttie

Hi,

Hoping someone can throw some info at me, recently a few bits of minor damage have happened and really like to get them fixed without breaking the bank,

For this, I guess I pressed the horn too hard as its now got a nice tear along the front of it, when I spoke to a Ford parts Dept, they said the only option is to replace the whole centre bit (Airbag and all!) which costs over £400 just for the part, is there any other solution like a second hand part somewhere or even fixing the current one?

post-47020-0-20505200-1380190857_thumb.j

Is there any good fix for these small chips in the back bumper or is a body shop the only option?

post-47020-0-68804600-1380190891_thumb.j

I find these seats stain really really easily, even a bit of rain water if you get in while its raining outside, anyone know or can recommend a delicate stain cleaner I can use? (stain is hard to see in this pic)

post-47020-0-91379500-1380190826_thumb.j

Just on a side note, there is a possibility that I am going to be out of the country for the best part of a year, my wife doesn't drive so looking either to sell or to store it up, has this got the potential to completely ruin the car in the end from sitting for so long or can it be safely done without wrecking the car?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Lenny on here did a typically thorough guide on how to put the car into storage, really covers all the bases so I suggest you have a read through the link below if you're seriously thinking about it.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/27463-guide-storing-vehicle-for-long-periods-of-time/?gopid=147914#entry147869

As for the other issues...

I'd say ebay/breakers would be your best bet for the airbag cover or even a complete steering wheel. By the way, who did what to warrant a horn press like that?! :lol:

As the chips are pretty small I reckon you could touch them up with a touch up stick, but I'd get a proper one from Ford to ensure best colour match rather than one off eBay or Halfords or the likes. On my old Mondeo I actually got the spray can from Ford and it came in a two part pack with a tin of lacquer as well and a little tiny brush. I would have sprayed a bit into an old aerosol lid and dipped a cocktail stick into it and used this to fill little stone chips on the bonnet. You could use a fine cutting compound to buff off any excess paint. It wouldn't be a full pro job, the plastic seems to be chipped too, but might be enough to not attract your eye straight away, so depends how much of a perfectionist you are!

And the seats...I have half leather with cloth in the centre of base and back and fine any wet at all leaves a stain. I regularly use an interior cleaner (no specific one, just whatever foam type one with the plastic brush lid is on offer at the time!) but at times I just couldn't be arsd as they seem to stain again no time at all!

clean it all up and sell it for piece of mind. the cars value will lower over the year and you dont have to worry about it being stolen either.

The airbag cover is not available as a replacement part from ford.

There are some Asian manufacturers which produces the airbag covers for several car manufacturers. Some of them will sell replacement covers also (for about €40,-). If I am right the following link will be the cover for the 3-spoke steering wheel you need.

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/SRS-airbag-cover-car-for-Ford-Focus-2-2008-2010/945927064.html

Lenny on here did a typically thorough guide on how to put the car into storage, really covers all the bases so I suggest you have a read through the link below if you're seriously thinking about it.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/27463-guide-storing-vehicle-for-long-periods-of-time/?gopid=147914#entry147869

That's really useful cheers.

As for the other issues...

I'd say ebay/breakers would be your best bet for the airbag cover or even a complete steering wheel. By the way, who did what to warrant a horn press like that?! :lol:

Some idiot driving on the wrong side of the road, didn't realise I could damage it that easily!

And the seats...I have half leather with cloth in the centre of base and back and fine any wet at all leaves a stain. I regularly use an interior cleaner (no specific one, just whatever foam type one with the plastic brush lid is on offer at the time!) but at times I just couldn't be arsd as they seem to stain again no time at all!

Yeah that definitely do stain quite easily!!

clean it all up and sell it for piece of mind. the cars value will lower over the year and you dont have to worry about it being stolen either.

I think that may be a serious option, could save a lot of hassle as you say

The airbag cover is not available as a replacement part from ford.

There are some Asian manufacturers which produces the airbag covers for several car manufacturers. Some of them will sell replacement covers also (for about €40,-). If I am right the following link will be the cover for the 3-spoke steering wheel you need.

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/SRS-airbag-cover-car-for-Ford-Focus-2-2008-2010/945927064.html

That's brilliant, just what I need for that.

Would it be wise to refit myself or do I risk breaking my nose and having a deployed airbag?

That's brilliant, just what I need for that.

Would it be wise to refit myself or do I risk breaking my nose and having a deployed airbag?

To change the airbag cover you have to detach the battery cable. Next you have to remove the airbag first. On the back of the steering wheel are 3 holes to insert a screwdriver (or something similar). These holes are intended to release the spring which holds the airbag in place. when the airbag is released the electrical connector can be removed and the airbag taken out of the vehicle.

When the airbag is removed the old cover can easily be removed by cutting the notches of the old cover. Next the new cover can be clicked in place. Next you only have to install the airbag with cover onto the steering wheel.

you may have to remove the battery cable and leave it for 30mins or so before taking off the airbag cover or something like that...