• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Name: alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi all, hope someone can shed some light on my oil changing concerns....
I have a 55plate 1.25 fiesta, and usually do my own filters and oil changes. Normally I will use a good quality oil like 5w30 magnatec or something.
But this time, I thought I would go to the ford parts department and buy the one which I thought would be factory fitted and designed for my make and model.
What I ended up with is.... what looks to be a budget brand, it's called Titan SuperSin F 5w30.
Was just wondering if some of the FOC knowledgable members could tell me if this if in fact the oil ford would use when doing a standard service, is this the brand that ford recommends, I am just a bit miffed that after using decent oils for all the years I've been self servicing my cars with good quality products, ford hit me with this "cheap" unbranded slop!
Any advice and comments are greatly appreciated.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Gary3059

Gary3059

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 Ghia
  • Year: 2001

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

tian is made by Fuchs so i wouldnt say it was unbranded slop,all oils sold in the uk will have the API logo,

It will just be a supply deal with fords next year it might be some other brand depends on how long the contrat is for

people get hung up on brand loyalty and pay a premium for the name

I wouldnt hesitate to use Fuchs oil in my vehicles

#3 Fiesta1.25

Fiesta1.25

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Name: alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi Gary thanks for the reply, I came across as a complete brand snob so apologies for that, but you are right though, people are bought into the whole brand name and pay a premium for it, I admit I should have done my homework before slagging off Titan so apologies again for that. I value your opinion and thank you for your comments, buying my oil from fords parts department saved me more than 20quid over the magnatec I usually buy (they did have a 20% off deal on though) . So I reckon from now on I will go to ford for my oil,
I think dealerships have a bit of a reputation for being over expensive.... Maybe that's true for certain parts, but not others?

#4 BOF

BOF

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

to the ford parts department and buy the one which I thought would be factory fitted and designed for my make and model.
What I ended up with is.... what looks to be a budget brand, it's called Titan SuperSin F 5w30.

Titan SuperSyn F (Silkolene or Fuchs, who are the same org, except for marketing purposes) is a respected German brand, just one that isn't marketed here very heavily (ie, you can't buy their brands of oil at Halfords, although I suspect that at one time they supplied at least some of Half-frauds own brand oils).

Not all Ford dealers supply the same oils; Ford's 'fuels and lubricants partner' is BP, so, if you got the Ford-branded oil, you'd likely get something from the BP stable, but the dealers themselves are free to make their own deals with oil suppliers, provided that oils meets the Ford specs.

As the -C spec is 'better' than the earlier -B spec, you'll want oil that meets the later '-C', and, theoretically, if an oil meets that, that ought to be everything necessary, although  as different manufacturers take different approaches to designing oils, there are differences.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users