Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Diesel Has Become A Tractor...... :(

exponential

Hi guys.

I have noticed a significant change in audible noise coming ftom my engine under load.

I've had the car just short of 3 months and compared to other similar aged diesels I viewed, this one was byfar the quietest and refined as far as engine noise both at idle and acceleration.

Its a 2009 (59) euro 5 diesel 1.6 with no mods except a "green" air filter fitted and has been run on Shell fuelsave from the start.

It was serviced (apparently) before I bought it yet no reciepts were given so.......

Anyway, in the last week, ive noticed that, under acceleration, the engine has become very rattly sounding, like an old transit van and it is concerning me. Cant tell if any power is lost but is very slow to built revs.

Is this normal? I dont expect it to be quiet like a petrol but for it to go suddenly from very quiet to rattly is odd to me......

Is there anything I should be looking out for or is all this perfectly normal......

Mike.

• Like 1

service it again, without prove I wouldn't trust, and diesels get sluggish and less refined when they need service, its the first thing I would try.

• Like 2

Ditto, full service don't trust dealers.... I had loads of trouble with Arnold Clarke over our focus..... that place was its second home..... at 1 stage it was there more then at hone lol....... they even refused to replace my alternator under warranty when it went.... ( whistled it's knackers off)..... they stated it has a pod check n all car serviced b4 they give for sale....

Ours had neither..... so within the first week it has like £100 on a full service.... just spent almost 7k in the car.... never buy from em again...

Manchester eh? I'll keep my eyes and ears out for you :) Mine seems to sound a lot louder when colder, which I believe is standard.

• Like 1

Does it have oil ? Turbo could be going. Common on the 1.6 although think if was fixed in newer models. Could be a vacum hose or blown exhaust ?

Don't ever trust dealers I always service mine. That way I use top quality for same price and peace of mind it is done.

Never known a diesel when cold not to sound like a tractor under bonnet soundproofing and an undertray help dampen the noise somewhat as said it may need a service check the oil is it black and quite smelly look at the oil filter is it clean and new looking or does it look old

On the black oil front, I've found mine is instantly black, within around 100 miles (if not even less) of a service. Have proved this as well, checked it before I left the garage, then a short while after. I believe this is normal for a diesel. The smelly thing might give you a clue though!

Regarding the turbo going, I think you're referring to the banjo bolt that used to clog starving the turbo of oil? This was definitely fixed in later models, and saying that, I know of two other 1.6 diesels that did have this issue, and the turbo's still going on one, (90,000 miles) and went at around 120,000 on the other.

Sometimes mine sounds tractor like, sometimes it sounds refined. Often related to being cold, but sometimes it's just different on different days. Sometimes my ears are blocked a little also! (No joke, this really makes a difference to me!).

• Like 2

I agree in princepal with just about everything others have said,

other things wothth considering are -

The weather has gone colder, that means the engine starts off colder- colder diesel engine = sounds like a tractor

Situations like starting the car from cold in a garage or close to a wall or in the middle of the night (when it is quiet) may draw your attention to the noise that may have been there already

Also- the green cotton filter tends to increase induction noise compared to a stock paper filter

Jg321, ur oil goes blk after 100m.... just checked mine and almost 800m after change mine has not gone fully black, just a tinge of dark colour..... is this good then?

On the black oil front, I've found mine is instantly black, within around 100 miles (if not even less) of a service. Have proved this as well, checked it before I left the garage, then a short while after. I believe this is normal for a diesel.

This is because an oil change doesn't drain all the old oil. There is always a quantity trapped in the oil galleries etc. If you look in your manual you will find two different quantities quoted, for a fill from empty or a change.

This also applies to petrols but their oil doesn't normally get so black.

Jg321, ur oil goes blk after 100m.... just checked mine and almost 800m after change mine has not gone fully black, just a tinge of dark colour..... is this good then?

I guess I could have worded better - mine started to go black almost instantly, and then was fully black pretty quickly, although I'm not sure when.

I've done mine about 200m ago only just started changing color.

Sorry I havnt posted back.

Didnt get any notifications of replies??

Ive just done a 16 hour stint at work so am knackered but will reply properly tomorrow guys..

Bed time

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry I havnt posted back.

Didnt get any notifications of replies??

Ive just done a 16 hour stint at work so am knackered but will reply properly tomorrow guys..

Bed time

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You should have got notifications - perhaps you should adjust your settings

If its any consolation, mine sounds quite loud/ like a really big truck when i start mine up, especially from cold (straight- through exhaust, no sound proofing, large diameted CAIS, / heavily modified motor etc)

Just try not to wake every one up when you start your car up at night from cold :lol:

• Like 1

LOL! :)

Well i'm back at work for another 8 hours but its all treble time so its ok.......

Be back on later........

I think after reading your comments that an engine flush and oil/filter change is in order.

Best to do it yourself! At least i'll know exactly what oil is going in it etc etc.

Gonna get some Castrol GTX or something similar with winter coming.....

Wouldn't mind meeting up with someone from manchester who has the same engine as me just to see if mine is sounding/running normal......

I think after reading your comments that an engine flush and oil/filter change is in order.

Best to do it yourself! At least i'll know exactly what oil is going in it etc etc.

Gonna get some Castrol GTX or something similar with winter coming.....

Wouldn't mind meeting up with someone from manchester who has the same engine as me just to see if mine is sounding/running normal......