Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise In Aux Belt Area

jg321

Hi all,

Been meaning to post this for a while but never got round to it, as other than being annoying, it doesn't actually seem to be causing a problem. When I first start the car after it not being used for a while, I get a noise, which I've captured pretty well in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YD1h3lerDg

As soon as the engine's been running a while (less than 10 mins usually), it's gone. Doesn't seem to change with load (put the AC on the other day when it was pretty bad, and didn't change). It does however change with speed, so when I pull away, it gets noticeably quicker with the engine.

I took the video, as after all the leaky injector seal stories, I got paranoid. As you can see, all my injectors seem fine, and the noise is definitely coming from the aux belt area.

Any suggestions? Anyone else got/had similar? The car's done this since I first got it (17,500 miles), doesn't seem to have got any better or worse.

Thanks for looking :)

Jon

On my phone so cant see the file but it may just be the belt slipping a bit go on eBay and search for belt grip spray its not expensive in fact here it is if spraying that solves it theres youre answer http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=321071844161

water on the belt is nothing more really than a very temporary fix, but I doubt that would be it, I think it could be more of a pulley issue, or a duff belt.

That is EXACTLY the same noise I get from mine!

I think I posted about it the other day.....

Wouldn't mind an answer too!

dry belt by the sound of it the belt slip i linked to sorts it out i used it on mine and noise gone

I'll give it a go, and report back. I always though "belt dressings" were a bad idea?

Its not really a dressing it provides extra grip as it goes tacky its used on all sorts of belts from cars to trucks industrial equipment and doesnt harm the belt

I think i'll try it too.

I presume you spray it on as the belts are moving??

You spray on as the belt is stationary believe it ir not you can get the majority of the belt then leave to go sticky about ten minutes you can spray it on whilst its moving but remember you want to spray it on the ribbed part of the belt then switch the engine off and leave for a bit

Oh right. Shows how much I know! haha

Spraying liquid/oil onto fast moving cogs while you are stood over it probably isnt a good idea! :D

have you had the timing belt done recently, or does the housing look distorted?

had a similar noise on the wifes car which was the housing rubbing on the timing belt edge.

Nope, mine's only done 40K so not due for replacement for a while.

Tried spraying it today and it will spray with the belt moving and not throw everywhere easiest way was to spray it onto the ribbed cog that way it coats the belt as it turns

Tried spraying it today and it will spray with the belt moving and not throw everywhere easiest way was to spray it onto the ribbed cog that way it coats the belt as it turns

Thanks for the tip. Spray purchased, should arrive on Monday (along with my new iMac :D). Will update this with how I get on.

• Like 1

what is the belt dressing called?

I've bought the one that artscot79 kindly recommended. It's called "Add It Belt Slip". Still not arrived yet :-(

Tried the belt slip today, the noise is still there. It obviously did something, as there was a little bit of noise coming from the belt that stopped immediately after spraying, but 10 mins later, still the tssh tssh noise. Will leave it for the rest of the weekend now and try it on Monday, but doesn't seem to have worked so far!

Any other ideas? As it's not causing any real issue, I'll probably just live with it!

Damn!!

Was hoping you were gonna post back saying its a miracle cure and that annoying "tsh tsh" would be gone! :(

Back to the drawing board eh.......

Only other suggestion and you really need to be carefull doing it is with the engine running use a fine sandpaper on the main wheel taking the surface grime off helps

I had an annoying whining noise from my aux belt when cold on my MK1 Focus when I had that. I also tried belt slip and that cured it but only temporarily. The only thing that permanently cured it in the end was changing the belt itself. No problems after that was done.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club