Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VIbration through steering!!

griff488

HI all!

I have a 2000 W reg 1.8lx focus with 105k on the clock.

When driving at 70mph+ it has a vibration felt through the steering wheel. It gets worse when you try to accelerate but lessens off if you just maintain speed or lift off completely!

List of parts changed / work done so far:

1, Wheels balanced x4 at different garages

2, New tyres

3, Discs and pads replaced

4, Track rod ends replaced

5, Anti roll bar links replaced

6, Intermediate bearing replaced

7, Tripod bearing replaced

8, Rear wheels swapped with fronts

After i replaced the intermediate and tripod bearings it improved no end but it is still there and as i do alot of motorway driving it is getting on my !Removed!!!!

The only other thing i can think to replace is the CV joint?!? There is no play in the wheel bearings at all and everything else has been replaced!!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Cheers Griff

HI all!

When driving at 70mph+ it has a vibration felt through the steering wheel. It gets worse when you try to accelerate but lessens off if you just maintain speed or lift off completely!

2, New tyres

After i replaced the intermediate and tripod bearings it improved no end but it is still there and as i do alot of motorway driving it is getting on my !Removed!!!!

The only other thing i can think to replace is the CV joint?!? There is no play in the wheel bearings at all and everything else has been replaced!!

Cheers Griff

i think you have narrowed the answer down, if it improved after you replaced the intermediate and tripod bearings , then you might want to consider replacing the cv joints, or replacing your driveshafts as a last resort, not all wear and tear is easy to spot, it sound like there is wear on one of your tripod joints, as this can cause this , at least you have narrowed it down , it sounds like it's cost you abit already , so i hope you manage to resovle it, good luck.

i think you have narrowed the answer down, if it improved after you replaced the intermediate and tripod bearings , then you might want to consider replacing the cv joints, or replacing your driveshafts as a last resort, not all wear and tear is easy to spot, it sound like there is wear on one of your tripod joints, as this can cause this , at least you have narrowed it down , it sounds like it's cost you abit already , so i hope you manage to resovle it, good luck.

FOrtunately i have done all the work myself (except tyres and balancing) so its just the cost of parts really.

Sounds like a CV joint is the next port of call.

When i replaced the tripod bearing there were no obvious sign of wear in the housing where the tripod bearing sits and the cost of a new drive shaft from Ford is stupid £293.16+VAT!!!!

It is starting to annoy me now!!

Cheers Griff

FOrtunately i have done all the work myself (except tyres and balancing) so its just the cost of parts really.

Sounds like a CV joint is the next port of call.

When i replaced the tripod bearing there were no obvious sign of wear in the housing where the tripod bearing sits and the cost of a new drive shaft from Ford is stupid £293.16+VAT!!!!

It is starting to annoy me now!!

Cheers Griff

with the age of the car you might want to consider sourcing the driveshafts from cheaper outlets, buying from ford will always be expensive, but if you want to keep genuine parts on it you might in the long run have to bite the bullet and pay what they ask, in the end it might be your only option left to replace them both. i have a haynes manual you can have, which covers your year, but it looks like you know what your doing, you can have it for nothing if you need it, just cover p&p.

with the age of the car you might want to consider sourcing the driveshafts from cheaper outlets, buying from ford will always be expensive, but if you want to keep genuine parts on it you might in the long run have to bite the bullet and pay what they ask, in the end it might be your only option left to replace them both. i have a haynes manual you can have, which covers your year, but it looks like you know what your doing, you can have it for nothing if you need it, just cover p&p.

Thanks for the offer mate but i have a Haynes manual (or bible as i call it) :lol:

I rang my local motor spares place and they say £50 plus VAT!! Woohoo!! Includes CV joints and bearings!!

Not overly fussed about it being genuine so long as it stops the bugger vibrating! Getting to much of a headache from the missus as its her motor! I do tell her its the way she thrashes it but only when i'm out of reach!!! :lol::lol:

HI all!

2, New tyres

Cheers Griff

Have you tried taking the back wheels off and putting them on the front to see if that makes any difference.

I had the same problem and turned out to be a very slight buckle in the wheel which did not even show up when the wheel was balance.

May be worth a try ?

Have you tried taking the back wheels off and putting them on the front to see if that makes any difference.

I had the same problem and turned out to be a very slight buckle in the wheel which did not even show up when the wheel was balance.

May be worth a try ?

I have swapped the wheels around from front to back and made no difference really!

i think i'm going to replace the driveshaft after payday!!

If that don't cure it then theres always a can of petrol and a match!! :P

I have swapped the wheels around from front to back and made no difference really!

I know that feeling I am getting that way with my 2001 Focus.

• 1 year later...

I know that feeling I am getting that way with my 2001 Focus.

Hi just joined this forum so i could get some info and hope my info helps, i have just had the front spring done as it had snapped and the lad who was doing it had pulled the drive shaft slightly out with the pressure of getting the shocker out, there is a tripod looking arm with 3 bearings which had slid behind and needed putting back on, it seemed fine till i got onto the motorway then i had to slow quickly for an accident in front and i got an awful vibration through the floor, steering wheel and my sat nav was shacking like the wheel was coming off, to be honest i pooped my self and ended up with the RAC coming out, i have no idea what has happened but it sounds the same as this problem as it starts at around 50 or even under hard throttle, the rac said it sounds like the bearing or drive shaft has miss lined giving the same problem as wheel balancing, i have all new goodyear tyres and balanced and thi only started after the spring so all i can suggest is to swap the whole drive shaft and you can get a quality second party brand new for £49.99 2 year warranty so i have got 1 coming and will let you know but the RAC guy said it was common for the bearing to go on this but best to replace full part to eliminate other problems, let me know how you get on and i will post soon as i test mine this coming week,

it sounds like the mechanic was trying to save time by not releasing the driveshaft from the hub and has fell fowel of the risk, drive shaft bearings can dislodge and the rear wishbone bush can get damaged due to the force put through it during the work.i would go back to the mechanic and ask him to sort it at his cost as it was his shortcuts that caused the problem/damage.

it sounds like the mechanic was trying to save time by not releasing the driveshaft from the hub and has fell fowel of the risk, drive shaft bearings can dislodge and the rear wishbone bush can get damaged due to the force put through it during the work.i would go back to the mechanic and ask him to sort it at his cost as it was his shortcuts that caused the problem/damage.

to be honest when the alignment and wheel balancing doesnt sort it out its usually 8/10 times either an unbalanced driveshaft or a bearing the cv would not give the symptoms yopu describe without there being noticeable movement in the wheel ide save the cash and have the driveshafts done and bearings to them checked out