Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks Like I've Possibly Been Stitched Up :(

swhite87

loks like i may have been ripped off a bit with my recent purchase,

bought a 2004 mk3 2.0 tdci 130 mondeo on saturday morning and now it looks like the clutch slave cylinder has gone!!!!!!!!!!!

(clutch sat on the floor with no resistance at-all, loss of fluid from reservior and unable to select any gears)

since it was a private sale and had driven fine up until this morning it looks like its going to be a bit of a pricey fix :(

anybody got any idea how much i could be looking at for a complete replacement (DMF, clutch + cylinder)

any answers would be gratefully received.

Ouch! does sound like you were sold a lemon!

Sounds to me though your looking at a few hundred quid at best for parts, my guess... 550 for the lot is the cheapest you will find it all done for, realistically... a few hundred more for the average quote from Ford

think a lemon would have tasted a bit better lol,

strange thing is that it's been fine all weekend over about 200 miles and then this morning the cltch had gone afer about 3 miles,

do you know if it makes a massive difference converting it to solid flywheel to try and save a few quid or just go with the proper spec?

No massive difference, its claimed to be stronger, and so would benefit you in some ways, but you might get a bit more engine vibration.

To be fair though, to keep the car running, I see no harm in going to SMF, and replacing the clutch kit.

Doing this, you might be able to get an indie to do it all for about £500 or so if you go with cheaper parts...

Edit: quick google search shows you can buy clutch kits for about £250, but to be honest, not sure that will suffice, so my original estimate is probably more accurate....

Ouch! Hard to prove if the fault was there or not.

As Jeebo has said, I reckon your looking at £550 upwards for the lot. Possibly £650

Can you see where its dropped the fluid, the master ie at the peddle or the slave on the box, check the union where the pipe goes into the master on the bulkhead, if it is the slave I am afraid as already quoted expensive but if its the master relatively cheap.

have had a look around the master cylinder from the inside and it is clean/no leaks, will try and have a look at all of the pipework etc tomorrow if its dry, looks like the cheapest quote so far is £775 all in,

just a shame thats almost what i paid for the car ;( other than the clutch thecar has no other faults that i have noticed (yet)

have had a look around the master cylinder from the inside and it is clean/no leaks, will try and have a look at all of the pipework etc tomorrow if its dry, looks like the cheapest quote so far is £775 all in,

just a shame thats almost what i paid for the car ;( other than the clutch thecar has no other faults that i have noticed (yet)

feel for you i was looking for a diesal mondeo looked at a few on start up there was always problems with the dmf hence just bought a ghia x 2.0petrol instead its such a shame these diesals suffer expensive problems because when they run right there brill i had a clutch done on a 2003 fiesta recentley and it was 450 all in

would have quite happily gone for a petrol if it wasnt for doing about 350 miles a week and towing a caravan round the country with the mrs and kids,

on the upside luckily i havent sold my focus yet so atlest i still got a runabout for now

would have quite happily gone for a petrol if it wasnt for doing about 350 miles a week and towing a caravan round the country with the mrs and kids,

on the upside luckily i havent sold my focus yet so atlest i still got a runabout for now

i can understand that hope you get it sorted buddy

hopefullylol, well so far the cheapest quote i've had is £600 all in, which i think seems like a bargain, as the cheapest i can source the parts for is just under £500,

will keep you posted on the progress

We payed 800quid to get our mondeo fixed.

Sorry to hear the bad news.

I would take it back and moan.

Also,

If your planning the car to last.

Get the proper kit!

I think there's 3 spec options.

Buy the genuine stuff.

You get what you pay for!

This is a common fault on the mondeo.

I would say the seller only got rid of it because of this!

• Like 1

well i have just had a look under the bonnet and the entire hydraulic system is dry and sound on all the joints but i can see fluid oozing from the under side of the gear box so it doesnt look good

just had a quote from a mobile mechanic who will do the job for £175 if i can get the parts so if anybody knows where the best place to get all the bits from it wold be very helpfull

Euro car parts might be a good price to get a Sachs kit if you can get 25% off it either with a discount code or part of a sale.

Sometimes flywheels are excluded though

• Like 1

well i have just had a look under the bonnet and the entire hydraulic system is dry and sound on all the joints but i can see fluid oozing from the under side of the gear box so it doesnt look good

just had a quote from a mobile mechanic who will do the job for £175 if i can get the parts so if anybody knows where the best place to get all the bits from it wold be very helpfull

that is a very good quote for labor, a major garage would charge £400, even a mobile mecanic would be £250+

Ive seen a new SMF kit (flywheel/ clutch/ CSC) advertized for £250 on eBay

Personally i would not fit a stock Ford/ LUK DMF, i think they are "junk" - my engine could tear one apart in no time- if you must have a DMF go for the Sachs

If you are towing an SMF (solid flywheel) would be a good idea, (balanced) + an uprated clutch (stronger, with stronger clamping force, better materials, ) with sprung plate (puts some of the "give" back into the driveline) a genuine Ford CSC is ok (watch out for cheap chineese copies) (the 6-speed CSC differs/ is more expensive than the 5-speed)

The consensus of opinion is to replace the clutch components, the DMF/flywheel and CSC together- this is a precaution/ because of the high cost of labour - your clutch friction plate is probably contaminated with brake/ hydralic fluid (often sprays everywhere inside the clutch housing when the CSC seal fails) but the clutch pressureplate may be servacable, and the DMF might be "ok" (usable) -

As its probably best to have all the new bits ready when the work is done - at least you may be able to re- sell some of your old parts to help offset the cost of the new ones

well it's now booked in for next wednesday at a cost of £590.

managed to get all the bits for £310 so not as bad as i thought it would be but still alot more than i would have liked,

thanks for all the help/replies, i will keep you posted on the progress

just notced i don't have the radio code (cd 6000), can anybody tell me how to remove the radio to get the serial number please???

Use knife, metal coat-hanger (something strong) follow instruction in video. Slip out either side very slowly.

Seriel Number is found on the back of the radio below the leads.

• 2 weeks later...

many thanks for all the help and advice i had from you all.

I finally got the car back yesterday and can happily say that it drives absolutely perfectly (for me anyway)

in total i parted with just over £600

£290 for labour and £310 for a LUK 3 part clutch kit and dual-mass with a 4 year/80,000 mile warranty

so overall a bargain (as ford quoted me £1170)

many thanks again and i hope i can help with any issues from any other members :rolleyes:

glad you got it done mate. unbelievable how Ford can charge these prices(£1170!).well not Ford, but these so-called 'dealers'.

An excellent result and a fantastic warranty with the product.