Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird Rattling Noise When Moving Off.

Waqs

Whenever I move off from a standstill to the left or right there is a rattling noise which seems to be coming from the front of the car. After like 2 seconds once I'm straight there's no noise at all. This has been happening for the last week or so.

Doesn't happen when I do the same in reverse by the way.

Any help?

Thanks a lot!

Possible loose heat sheild on manifold ? Hard to say really without having a listen can you possible post up a video .

I'll try to post up a video in the next couple of days mate.

Thanks

I had this on my Mk 2 I recently brought.

It came from the metallic insulation between the gearbox and car floor at the bottom front of the engine bay bulkhead.

I just got a piece of wood and levered it away from the gearbox, as this was rubbing on the insulation.

I also went over every pipe, pipe clip and wiring loom on the bulkhead and engine bay as they all had play in them and put a blob of silicon on them all and now the car is completely rattle free.

It is surprising how many pipes or clips are free to rattle around, especially after a service when they are not refitted correctly, or retaining screws are left out.

Darryl

Whenever I move off from a standstill to the left or right there is a rattling noise which seems to be coming from the front of the car. After like 2 seconds once I'm straight there's no noise at all. This has been happening for the last week or so. Doesn't happen when I do the same in reverse by the way. Any help? Thanks a lot!

Could be your anti-roll bar engaging mate.

Sounds like metalic sounding clunk or scraping sound and happens only once after moving off from starting the engine....

Darryl I recently serviced the car myself about 2 months ago but this problem has only started like a week or so ago. What you advise sounds to be the likely problem but I don't know if I'm competent enough to check all those things. Might have to get my mechanic on the case.

Exponential, I'm not sure it's the anti roll bar mate as it happens all the time when doing slow speed 1st gear turning. The steering wheel has to be turned considerably for it to happen but not full lock.

Also yesterday it happened while I was reversing.

Need to get that video up so you guys can hear the noise.

Thanks everyone.

Darryl I recently serviced the car myself about 2 months ago but this problem has only started like a week or so ago. What you advise sounds to be the likely problem but I don't know if I'm competent enough to check all those things. Might have to get my mechanic on the case.Exponential, I'm not sure it's the anti roll bar mate as it happens all the time when doing slow speed 1st gear turning. The steering wheel has to be turned considerably for it to happen but not full lock.Also yesterday it happened while I was reversing.Need to get that video up so you guys can hear the noise.Thanks everyone.

Oh, its happening all the time eh?

Ok, so maybe not the roll bar engaging.....hmmmm

There are a ton of people with incredible experience on here so I hope you have an answer soon!

Try to get the video/sound posted pal......

Thanks mate. Video should be up tomorrow. I've got my cousin over so he can record it.

Could it be a wheel bearing gone bad? My clutch is on its last legs also to be honest

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club