Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Falling Asleep??

exponential

Hi.

I have a funny problem with my power steering which I have never experienced with any other car.

Whenever I either start the car or when I'm sat waiting at traffic lights, when I am just about to move off and I slightly turn the wheel, the steering wheel feels like its a lead weight but a millisecond later, I hear what sounds like a pump activating (like a thump noise) then the wheel returns to normal "powered" steering.

Its starting to annoy me but if I have to live with it I will. There is no powersteering reservoir on show in the engine bay (2009 tdci 110) so I presume it is underneath the engine cover??

Any thoughts guys?

Mike.

power steering reservoir is under the driver side wing behind the

wheel arch liner

that's why you don't see it

• Like 1

As my previous reply in topic FAULT take out the o/s headlight you will see the power steering pump there check the connectors are clean .

• Like 2

Oh great! Thanks guys. Appreciate your guidance.

Will have a good look tomorrow and report back.

Mike.

Please note that there are two electrical connectors. The power supply one is the one with the two big wires. There is another one, presumably for the sensor.

Also clean the top of the reservoir & filler cap and check the fluid level.

Also check the power steering (EHPAS) fuse in the engine bay fuse box. They can get corroded.

Unfortunately, the "worst case scenario" is that the PAS pump is on the way out. Evidently, they're prone to failure on the Focus.

• Like 2

Please note that there are two electrical connectors. The power supply one is the one with the two big wires. There is another one, presumably for the sensor.

Also clean the top of the reservoir & filler cap and check the fluid level.

Also check the power steering (EHPAS) fuse in the engine bay fuse box. They can get corroded.

Unfortunately, the "worst case scenario" is that the PAS pump is on the way out. Evidently, they're prone to failure on the Focus.

Thanks for the valued info!

I'm going to have a look tomorrow on my dinner and check what you have suggested.

Its going into a trusted mechanic on thursday for a once over on a ramp as its got a months warranty left so any defects he discovers will give me ammo to take it to be corrected! :)

It certainly isnt normal for the PS to behave like this.

Will update tomorrow.....

Have checked everything as above and all appeard ok.

I have rang the place I bought the car from and the guy said this.....

"Its a powersaving mode the car goes into when stationary, its quite common and its to save battery. The ecu shuts it down when not in use."

Now ive owned many cars and not one has done this.

I have 3 weeks warranty left on the car and something tells me he's trying to avoid paying out for a new pump as ive heard they are expensive!

What do you guys think??

Is he trying to pull the wool over my eyes so I pass the 3 month mark and therefore be out of warranty??

I'd say if that was the case it would do it every time you switched the car off and to all of us on here that do not experience this problem I,ve not heard of it before for one I,d say he,s tryin a fast one

Yeah, I trust the guy, he's the most clued up mechanic/business owner ive ever come across but I think, from a business point of view, he's not wanting to open his wallet which is understandable BUT, he gave me a car with warranty so its tough.

I may make up a situation where the steering has alledgedly failed whilst driving in order to get his attengion on the matter (child in the back etc etc)....

Ask him to provide his feedback in writing, and advise in advance that you will be seeking a second opinion. If there are any faults diagnosed with the vehicle that you will be returning it to him and expect it to be honored under warranty as per the Sale of Goods act.

• Like 1

Thanks jeebo!

Will give him a call tomorrow and see where we go from there. It clearly isn't functioning correctly tho.

Steering cannot go to sleep! my Cee'd had functionality that the faster I drove, the less responsive it went, but this was just firming up the response so that it was a gradual change from comfort to sport mode, but nothing as severe as you describe. I have never known a ford have a power saving mode that would deliberately make steering the car at slow speeds difficult, when your driving a heavy car you need more, not less help!

Keep us posted!

Been to busy at work to ring them yet jeebo but i will.

Ive noticed a change in the handling at speed, becomes much firmer which im sure is a design feature.

Just as a side note and possibly unrelated but ive noticed my steering wheel is not centre at all. Its turned slightly to the left so if i properly straighten the wheel, the car turns slightly. Is this anything to bring up or bother having sorted??

it could be either alignment, tracking or camber. I had KwikFit did all the tracking for me when I got new tyres, cost about 60 odd quid all in for the wheels to be put back to perfect!

Thanks jeebo. Thats next on the list after the DPF removal.... LOL

Couldnt get through to them tonight for some reason?

Anyway, it has been suggested to me that it may actually be the battery at fault here....

Apparently, the PS is quite a power hungry device.

If you have a weak or short life battery, the ecu will compensate for this by shutting down non essential systems when the engine is at idle therefore preserving battery life.

Any of you guys put any faith in this reasoning??

Very cold morning and after driving onto the main road, noticed that my lights flicker very briefly just before setting off too also, the radio turned off for a microsecond. I'm thinking battery now......hmmmm

I hadnt heard of this power saving but I would agree the battery could be up for recycling. I have recently had to replace the battery on my car, had a few warning lights, a few flickers, and not long after driving off, the stereo switched off then back on, since replacing the battery its perfect, but I didnt notice any change in steering or other behaviour. although I have the Focus CMAX, its still the Focus underneath for the most part so I couldnt really say with certainty if they are right / wrong on the ECU power save mode?

I did the dashboard trick and it shows a constant 14.4volts with everything switched on but when you turn the steering wheel it drops right down to 11 volts.

Is that normal behaviour?

I expect it to drain a little, but I have never seen it that low. When steering my CMAX and electrics on, I see it drop to about 12 .5 but not 11...

I might try it tonight and see what happens, using Torque and will look to update later or tomorrow.

Okie doke jeebo. Sometimes all you need is someone to claify what you are saying to put your mind at rest.

In the meantime, i'll try to get booked in with a mate whos a mechanic to get a proper diagnosis/opinion so I can go armed with definate knowledge.

Its a 150 mile round trip to the place i bought it from so i need to know for certain what the issue is!

Ford Focus Electric Power Steering Pump Fault

The Ford Focus Electric Power Steering failure is very common on all Ford built from 2005 to 2010, normally starts off as an intermittent fault and if left will lead to total failure causing the steering to become very heavy in both directions with the power steering light illuminating on the dash.

The common faults that will indicate that your electric power steering pump is faulty are:

1. Heavy steering in both directions.

2. Intermittent loss of steering.

3. Complete loss of power steering.

4. Noisy power steering pump.

5. Leaking power steering pump.

6. Power steering light illuminating on dashboard.

That was an extract from a power steering pump supplier (focus).

So I have points 1, 2 and 4.

Number 1 only briefly before the pump makes that noise but nevertheless.....

New powersteering pump required I reckon.

Could well be, wait until your friend does the diagnostic. Also dont drive to the dealer just yet, call them, give them a diagnostic (when your garage has reviewed it) some would rather have another garage do the work (cheaper labour perhaps) rather than have you drive up there to them

I spoke to my friend and without even seeing the car he told me to take it back asap.

He said under no circumstances should you even be aware that the power steering is there.

You should have no noise from the pump whatsover and the noise I am hearing is 100% a failing pump.

He then went on to tell me that if it failed at 70 on the motorway, I would have little chance of gaining control as it is electrical which instantly made me sit up and listen.

The only cars that even slightly make any noise are the new stop/start cars and even then, the noise is minimal at best.

I also rang OMC Ford in Oldham (my nearest ford dealer) and he mirrored everything my friend told me.

I am going to email the garage i bought it from and state that after calling 3 dealers/mechanics, they all state it is a faulty PS pump and request it be booked in. I will also ask that receipts are kept for my records to try to avoid them buying a second hand one which will not last long.

Will post back with their answer.

Well I rang them last night and to be honest, they were ok with me.

He said he will take it to his autoelectrician to rule out the alternator first (there is also a bad earth somewhere, radio and lights flicker off/on at random) then replace whatever needs replacing.

Problem is, my warranty runs out in 8 days but i go ireland on the ferry in 6 days so its either risk giving him the car in the hope he can solve it before I go away or do it after i get back but that would mean im over the warranty period.

Will need something in writing off him if its being done after i get back so i have it in black n white that he'll honour the warranty.

Nevertheless, a good result. :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club