Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Falling Asleep??

exponential

As long as the problem is reported before the warranty expires they are obliged to honour it.

Thanks stoney.

Its too risky to give him the car before we go away so i'll opt to do it after.

Im just glad its going to be sorted without any cost to myself! :)

He rang me this morning and suggested i take it to them when i get back from ireland as will be needed for at least 3 days in order to diagnose the fault.

It will be going to Ford where they will check for any software updates first then do all the necessary electrical checks as its an electrical pump not hydraulic etc etc.

He's gonna sort a courtesy car out too....

Will post back after everything is done with the result of the fault in 2 weeks..

I would of insisted on the courtesy car to take with me whilst mine is being repaired as the your car is clearly a danger to yourself and other road users whilst a problem with the steering persists and in the event of a accident god forbid you are both liable I recently drove my daughter in laws punto which are known to have power steering faults when the steering went off as I was turning thankfully at a low speed but at the same time the car went across the road luckily enougth no one was around but it opened my eyes to these problems you hear with cars with faulty power steering one being the new mini and manufactures should be brought to task over a potentially lethal problem .i would just be safe and insist on the courtesy car before I go .

Hi steads.

I appreciate your concerns as i also feel the same way but he has no courtesy car available and the car is booked onto the ferry via reg plate.

Its an 80th im going to and an awful lot of planning and preparation has gone into this occasion and its too late to change anything.

I understand thebposition im putting myself in but im sure everything will be ok but there isnt an alternative im afraid! :(

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have what sounds like a similar problem on my focus, in that the steering hits a dead spot at the central position. Turning slightly left or right results in a clunk and then it's fine.

Imagine if you will, a balljoint on the verge of seizing, where you meet resistance but it's then overcome.

My opinion says it's a faulty steering rack and not the pump .

Here's a video I found on the net that shows it perfectly;

• Like 1

Thats pretty much exactly what is happening pal.

Its going to Ford after i'm back from Ireland so I will report back then...... :)

I should qualify myself.

I've been messing with cars for 40 years+

I don't profess to be an expert, with these new fangled things :) but I've done plenty and my game is engineering.

Being an old fogey, who prefers to pay younger people to look at things for me these days, I took my motor into a garage to be assessed for this exact same reason.

The chap who looked at it agreed there was a problem, but said it wasn't major and won't fail a MOT.

I'd agree with that, fwiw.

I've driven my Focus for 1000's of miles since and I really wouldn't worry about that Ireland trip mate.

A recon rack fitted is in the region of £300-350.

Not worth it to me, on an 03 that I paid a grand for.

I hope that leaves you a little re-assured that it isn't going to imminently fail

Hi anon.

Thanks very much for your valued input!

I was a little concerned about the trip but after reading of your experience, it has put my mind at rest for sure.

I'm just glad its a warranty repair and my wallet won't be violated! :D

Thanks again pal.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Safely back from Ireland.

Problem still remains......

Tell you something, you don't half notice the difference in handling etc etc when you have 4 adults, 1 infant and a boot full of luggage!

Car is going back to Doncaster on Saturday so will report back when the fault has been found/repaired.

Heres hoping its a nice easy warranty fix!

Me too!! I have faith in Ford........

He's fitting my EGR blanking plate for me while he's got my motor.

Just havn't had time with a little 16 month old girl running rings round me! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Off to Doncaster in the morning to drop my motor off.

There was a delay in them providing a courtesy car but at least its being dealt with.

He said Ford will have it for a week (ish). They will do any software updates and thier electrician will check the whole car for faults. He assures me that they are very thorough!

Will ask him to get them to fix my aerial as it isnt straight. Its pointing slightlg to the right and its annoying me! :D

Might aswel ask while they have my car eh.......

Exponential,

I'd appreciate it if you can ask the mechanic to explain exactly what the problem is please.

"Faulty rack" or similar doesn't quite cut it for me, with my inquisitive, nosey mind :-)

I'd suspect a partial seizure of the inner ball-joint normally, but I suspect that's not the case.

The fact that it's on Youtube suggests Ford probably know about it and it's not a one-off.

Hi.

I'm the same, very inquisitive and want to know the cause, not just the answer.

When the powersteering "re-activates", it makes the headlights flicker and sometimes the radio will very briefly switch off and back on.

If it didn't affect the lights and sometimes radio, I would also be thinking along the same lines you suggested but i'm sure its electrical. Either alternator/battery or PS pump itself.

Trust me, I will want a thorough description of the fault and will post back with the answer when I pick the car up in a week or so......

I've just bought my 54 plate Focus and had similar issues! the power steering seemed to start working mid turn on the steering wheel. Thankfully I had just bought the car from a dealer so took it back he tried to tell me it was "dirty steering oil" which wasn't doing the job properly so he said he would flush it for me then after a few weeks bring it back in. For two days it was fine until it started again, I took it back in a week after to get it flushed again but to no avail. The matter got quite serious as the locking got worse so I returned and made sure the issue was fixed, he had to (reluctantly) change the power steering pump which wasn't cheap as ECU had to be done as well (all on warranty). All is now well and the steering is better than ever! I realise this is a late post but if you're still having issues this may help!

• Like 1

Hi George.

Glad (in a way) that someone else has suffered the same problem as me! I'm also glad it was all done under warranty for you too! Pheeew. :)

My car is still with Ford (since monday) and I have had no feedback yet from the place I bought the car from. I told them to keep the car for as long as is needed until the problem/s is/are resolved.

Its funny because the courtesy car they gave me made me realise just how bad my problem is.

I can turn the wheel with my little finger!! (its a renault megane).

As an added benefit. The courtesy car has made me realise that you should NEVER buy FRENCH!

It is horrible, wallowy in the corners, underpowered with poor power delivery and sounds like a tractor! How anybody could walk in a showroom and look at the interior trim and like it is unbelievable let alone test drive one and like it!?!?!

Hahaha.

Yeah when I first had this issue he did try telling me that this wasn't a common issue so believe me I was also kind of glad to see you had the same issue :'). But bearing in mind there's a lot of different things that could be the issue still with this but mine was the pump!

Yeah Ford dealers did also cross my mind and I think you've done the right thing, when it comes to problems in the steering it gets pretty worrying to drive anywhere! I was lucky as I arranged to pay part of mine off monthly so I was always going to be in contact with the dealer. Yeah I know how you feel getting the car back today with it fixed felt like I had a brand new car!

As to your courtesy car it sounds like you've got a pooper! hahaha I also agree with you on the never buying French part as well!! :') Hope everything gets sorted for you, stand your ground though the amount of times I was told it's "this and that" and to try it for a few weeks make sure their sorting it properly! Nothing more frustrating than a mechanic LOL!

The person who owns the place I bought it from suggested that it could be any number of things from failing device, pump, alternator etc down to just a bad earth. He knows his cars (to the extreme) and I was blown away with his knowledge of cars of every make and model.

I trust the guy as he's the only person who pulled me to one side as I was buying the car and told me about the DPF (which I knew about anyway) and no other garage/dealership had done that at all.

He has never tried to avoid me and makes sure everything is ship-shape with the car.

A very rare find in my eyes.

Anyway, he packed it off to Ford for me for a full diagnostic (under warranty) and I hope to be able to pick the car up this weekend.

Ok. So ive got my pride n joy back and all seems ok up to now.

Im going to not even listen for any noises for a while now as i think you can get a bit paranoid after a while thinking something is wrong.

Anyway, the dealer said that no components were needed to be replaced as all the car required was a software update. Now i find this extremy hard to believe!

My car "feels" different now though. Clutch seems to have gone much much lighter (to press down), throttle seems more responsive and seems to drive better. There are new options on the menu that werent there before. There are now 3 settings for steering which I have set to standard as sport was too tight and comfort was too lazy.

Csn an update possibly cause the car to feel so different? How would I know if one had been done?

On the dashboard trick, the ROM levels are the same numbers which were there before i left the car with them so have they really done an update?

I suspect they are using a mobile fitter as the mileage on my car when i picked it up had barely moved.....

Thoughts guys?

P.S It was booked in with Ford apparently.... hmmmm

If theres now three different options to your steering that weren't there before there's definitely been something updated. Do you have hydraulic steering?

Software updates can make a few differences, but the physical feel of the clutch? I struggle to believe entirely.

@george. I think its electro-hydraulic? Im not sure to be honest....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club