Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 LX
  • Year: 2001

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Just keeping this topic alive and updated. Didn't manage to get the rust sorted this weekend due to awful weather. Hoping next weekend will be less wet.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Rob-P

Rob-P

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 LX
  • Year: 2001

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Ok, I managed to get some not-raining time in over this weekend and worked at the car. In a moment of idiocy I went and bought the Hammerite rust repair kit rather than just the kurust stuff. Several coats, washes and grinds with a wire brush disk later and most of the rust has gone. I threw a thick but crude coating of the anti-rust undercoating paint on as the weather was closing in. I'm now probably looking to grind away the remaining rust if I can get a dry day next weekend but I've got to put some body filler on it now a couple of small holes (2-3mm) have been made where its just rusted through. The main thing I have to do before I can come close to finishing the job though is clearing the pitted and rough metal where the rust once was. Would a grinding disk do it or would that be too much? Rob

#18 jamesm182

jamesm182

Management

• Admin
  • 1,380 posts
  • Name: James
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

I would say a grinding disk would be ok if you're careful and then use a thin coat of filler with wet and dry paper to smooth it out totally.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users