Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo 2 Litre 130 Break

tats

hi,just bought a ford mondeo 2 litre tdci on a 55 plate it as done 97 000 miles it is the 130 break.i am getting puffs of black smoke when I set off in first and second gear but no loss of power,any of you guys have any answers.thanks tats

Mine used to do that before i blanked the EGR with a solid plate

The open EGR valve can cause a reverse flow, blanking it cures this but the EML can come on with the EGR blanked with a solid plate - resetting the Fault code with an OBD reader can put the light out, at least for a while

A fresh air filter will help (if it has not had one in the last 6k/ 6months)

Carbon can sit in the cat, and get released when you "boot" it, a good "italian tune up" can help, or a decat, oops i mean a sports cat.

The inlet manifold can get choked up, with carbon from the EGR system and oil from the crankcase breather, which mixes together to form an oily sluge over time - reducing the air entering the engine- the manifold needs to come off to be cleaned properly - spray EGR cleaner is a waste of time/ money.- the cleanout should be part of the service schedule

If you are unsure of when it was last serviced, a good service followed by resetting the ECU might stop the smoke (watch you don't loose your radio code)

Finally, if none of that works, be happy it runs ok, there is no loss of power and repeat after me "no smoke no poke"

When i turn my tuning box up and forget to switch my boost controller on i can produce a smokescreen that would put James Bonds Aston Martin to shame and get the neighbors running to get their washing in!

My Dad used to have a 2006 2 litre tdci mondeo, but his was the 115bhp version. His would shoot out a bit of black smoke too upon hard accelleration.

As FOCA says, "no smoke, no poke."

Much better than the modern "no smoke, that's because my DPF is working". :lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club