Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Name: -
  • Ford Model: -
  • Year: Non

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

You don't realise how truly terrible the design of the Mk3 Mondeo is, until you have to do anything semi-major to it.  Everything is inaccessible.  The radiator hoses - there is absolutely no need for them to be anything more complicated than a flexi hose with a jubilee clip at the end to hold it onto the radiator.  There is no reason for them not to use a decent sized bolt on the rad mounts, given the pressure needed to remove them.  I don't care what the Haynes manual says - the radiator fan does *not* fit between the crossmember and the back of the radiator - it will *not* go out of the bottom of the car.  It just won't.  There is no reason for a radiator to *not* have a drain plug on it.  There is no reason for the radiator and aircon radiator to be bolted together with nothing else supporting the aircon radiator, except for the metal coolant pipe at one side, which will not take the weight of the unit by itself.

Everything about this car, is just wrong.  Stupid, and wrong.  I bet Henry Ford is in his grave, spinning like a top at what his namesake has become.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

true. true.true & true!

(it will not go out the bottom.it just wont) lol. i bet you were swearing like a good un

got my own lil problem,replaced n/s front bearing & got everything back together moved car forwards a foot & thunk.i think ive pulled drive-shaft out too far,& dropped a bearing. (B***ard)

it was !Removed! freezing here today as well. tomorrow's gonna be even colder. Lets go!!!lol

#18 BigD

BigD

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

(it will not go out the bottom.it just wont) lol. i bet you were swearing like a good un
Well, here's the thing.  The only reason I am doing all of this, is because the fan broke, and I had to take it out of the top, which is what ripped the header tank port off the radiator and kicked off this whole, sorry pantomime.  If it had gone out the bottom like it's meant to (i.e. without manhandling it around 20 different hoses), there would probably have been no problem.

And no, I didn't swear so much today.  I'm much calmer doing stuff on the car when my mate's helping me.  Whereas if I'm doing stuff by myself I just end up bouncing off the inside of the garage walls when it doesn't go right (which is pretty much all of the time).  You have a talk and a laugh and it eases the pain.  Though, his face was a picture when he thought he'd stabbed me through the hand with his screwdriver.  It went white. :D

#19 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

true. true.true & true!

got my own lil problem,replaced n/s front bearing & got everything back together moved car forwards a foot & thunk.i think ive pulled drive-shaft out too far,& dropped a bearing. (B***ard)

it was !Removed! freezing here today as well. tomorrow's gonna be even colder. Lets go!!!lol

Well,job done. all running a-ok now. wont say what the problem was as too embarassing lol :iim:

#20 BigD

BigD

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Me too, finished a couple of hours ago.  I can honestly say it's the biggest, most complete and utter pig of a job I've ever done to a car.  Never again.

#21 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Me too, finished a couple of hours ago.  I can honestly say it's the biggest, most complete and utter pig of a job I've ever done to a car.  Never again.

Aye it can be the simplest of jobs that can go wrong,& normally its with nuts/bolts that are near extreme hot/cold/water. Every time I see a car without an undertray,well,need I say more.......

Ah I cant resist telling ya what I did,I re-stripped my left knuckle/shaft etc all over again,to find I'd forgotten to tighten up the lower wishbone(rear) nut.and it was this that made the crunch noise. It really threw me,as Ive actually done the same thing before but it just made a clunk noise. this time it gave me a crunch that made my eyes water. Oh well,live & learn lol :D

#22 BigD

BigD

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

Mine doesn't have an undertray, and I must say I generally prefer it like that.  If I've got something leaking I'd like to know about it.  On the other hand, it'd be nice if everything under there didn't seize up solid.

I had to source replacement bolts for the radiator mounts - one was destroyed getting it off, one had damaged threads and wouldn't go back in, another had a damaged/rounded head and I couldn't tighten it.  My mate dropped off his box of spare screws last night (literally hundreds of all sorts of spare screws and bolts in it), and I was fortunate enough to find a set of four that were the right size, only with a 10mm head instead of 8mm, so, even better.

Plus I put a big dollop of copper grease on each - that way I shouldn't have so much trouble getting them off the next time.... if there is a next time... which there will be, cos my car's like that.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Haynes manuals rot in hell!, radiator, drain, plug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users