Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk1 Common Problems Thread

jamesm182

Just an update, I put the original plugs in ( I had the Bosch super 4 before) and that has fixed my idle issue. The car runs like a dream now, I put some cat cleaner in it and had to give it a blast on the motorway to pump it through and it's all good :)

I thought the 4 point plugs would be much better but on inspection they are a lot shorter than the originals so probably ain't igniting it effectively. So a heads up for anyone who was thinking of using them.

One thing ive noticed with my 2004 1.8 tdci is the blowers have no pressure till you recirculate the air and the rear passenger windows are a pain in the !Removed! for misting up and the egr clogs up alot leading to crap in the intercooler blanked my egr and had to deep clean the intercooler after it ran smoother and it is quite loud also even with magnetec A1 oil recomend the wyns oil supercharge additive runs little quieter with that in

Help I have a 51 plate focus lx 1.8 and it has no 1st or 2nd or 5th or reverse but still drives in 3rd and 4th??

Another fault for the list is the rear window washer dribbles when i use my front ones

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.
I have a 2001 MK1 1.6 Focus, 84k on the clock. I bought it in March this year. I paid the top of the average for it but we had seen a few and they weren't in good condition. This one was immaculate, drove like new and had 4 brand new tyres, full MOT etc.

The last week or so, it has developed an issue with the speedo/odometer. After a quick Google search, I found this problem is quite common, in various forms.
I wonder if I could get some recommendations to help me diagnose what the issue is and what we need to to do fix it.
The speedo drops to 0 during driving and from start on some occasions. The Odometer doesn't always fail but sometimes it goes blank and sometimes it does ---. I have noticed the engine chugging a bit during one of its episodes too. I thought the lights on the dash seemed a bit dimmer also but I was not sure if this was my imagination.
Any help would be appreciated.

Definitely sounds like the speedo sensor (VSS) by the symptoms.

You can buy a new sensor and mounting pin on eBay for about £20.

Do you also find that the odometer doesn't read the increasing mileage too?

Yes, that's very common. And as pointed out the sensor is knackered. It's quite easy to change it. I've a mk1 as well. Make sure you post some pictures of your motor mate.

The chugging could be the coil pack on its way out, or possibly the battery will need to be replaced. If the battery is on its way out or is the wrong type ie. not a calcium battery the car can act very strange. Also check and clean the battery terminals and the ground leads that they are making a good connection. Just last week i came to my car and turned the key and nothing. Cleaned the leads and all was well again. Mine is a 00 1.6 zetec with 116k.

I have recently bought my girlfriend a MK1 Focus Estate (2.0 litre petrol), very pleased with the price, and condition of car. I have had the warning light on a few times and re-set the code (P0171- system too lean bank 1). I have cleaned the MAF sensor and seemed fine for about a week. I have heard that it could be a vacuum issue, or PCV valve issue.

I have had a good look around the engine for split pipes etc and they all seem okay, maybe I should change the PCV next ?

Any comments please

My bf got a new VSS and attempted to fit it today. He is usually quite good with cars, did a clutch change on both my old Micra and his Focus but he struggled to do this as there was a pin he couldn't get out. He is rather disappointed he has had to give in on it and was talking about getting a blow torch to get the pin out :o

Does anyone know how much a garage would charge to do this job?

It will come out! Be patient and use plenty of wd40. If he can get a flat head wedged in he can prise it out with that. It took me 10 mins, others 2 hours. Garages will usually round their labour up than down so be expected to pay around 60-70 quid. Tell him to sleep on it. Recharge his batteries and start again tomorrow :) it's all part of the fun

• Like 1

Hi all im new to this but here goes, i recently bought a 52 reg Focus Mk1.5 TDCI Ghia like yesterday and tried to start it this morning and it wouldnt so i jump started it off my Transit and it started straight up!

But now the electronic climate/heater controls dont work so no heater or air con any advive appreaciated thanks.

Hi i checked fuse under bonnet in main fuse box is here anymore anywhere?

If you don't have a handbook I have a fuse listing for a mk1/1.5 in my guides link.

Hi i checked fuse under bonnet in main fuse box is here anymore anywhere?

Behind the glovebox.

Open the glovebox and remove everything then press the sides of the box in and it will hinge right down.

The fusebox is easy to spot on the bulkhead.

Hi i checked all the fuses behind the glovebox and they were all fine?

Hi all sorted my auto electrician friend told me to take batterry leads off for 10 mins then it should reset itself and hey presto it worked, thanks for all advice guy

• Like 1

post-62070-142166240381_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Got myself a Mk1.5 focus 1.8 TDDI under 80,000.

Does anyone know any typical faults on the turbo and intercooler side?

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 3 weeks later...

The pin can be a nightmare drop it or break it you'll be taking the gearbox out so don't use a blow torch a garage wont take much I only let ford do mine simply because they do fords they know the tricks the pins do break a blow torch would not be a good idea

took the car to the garage today and was told i have the dreaded c1288 fault.

anyway, what is my options on a fix?

Hi folks hoping someone might be able to help.

I inherited a 2004 1.4 from the da in law last year as a family run around. It had about 90k miles on the clock, but he looked after it. As have I. I've put on about 14k miles since. It's used as the family run around, but I do drive it every day (bout 2 miles to work + school run).

However, ever since I've had it I notice a "crunch" sometimes when going into first and also reverse slips out. It's starting to get really annoying, as I need to reverse out of the drive.

I'd have a look in a few other places but all sorts of mad theories. However, being the experts, maybe one of you might offer a better explanation that "the gearbox is fubared"!.

Any help much appreciated!