Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Mpg Loss

scoot600

Hi

I am new to the club.

I think I have a problem with my mpg. I have noticed that the average mpg has dropped from 53 mpg to 36 mpg!

The car was bought in August and is still under warranty.

when I bought the car the sd card for the satnav was missing,so the dealer sent me a new card (after 3 weeks) to find that the unit did not recognise the card!

The car has been back to the dealers twice to see if they can get the satnav to work, but still no luck and it seems I need a new unit.

The problem with the mpg started after the dealers had removed the unit and put it back in.

Can they have messed something up behind the dash?

On a focus, where is the code reader plug?

Thank for your help

Hi

I am new to the club.

I think I have a problem with my mpg. I have noticed that the average mpg has dropped from 53 mpg to 36 mpg!

The car was bought in August and is still under warranty.

when I bought the car the sd card for the satnav was missing,so the dealer sent me a new card (after 3 weeks) to find that the unit did not recognise the card!

The car has been back to the dealers twice to see if they can get the satnav to work, but still no luck and it seems I need a new unit.

The problem with the mpg started after the dealers had removed the unit and put it back in.

Can they have messed something up behind the dash?

On a focus, where is the code reader plug?

Thank for your help

The diagnostic port on the MK3 is located behind the small fold down compartment under the headlight switch. You have to squeeze the sides of the compartment to get it to drop all the way down.

I wouldn't have thought removing the nav unit would affect MPG. The only thing I can think of is that the battery got disconnected and the ECU is re learning itself perhaps?

The diagnostic port on the MK3 is located behind the small fold down compartment under the headlight switch. You have to squeeze the sides of the compartment to get it to drop all the way down.

I wouldn't have thought removing the nav unit would affect MPG. The only thing I can think of is that the battery got disconnected and the ECU is re learning itself perhaps?

It seems strange that for the 2 months that I have had the car the mpg was always about 55mpg but after they had the car for 2 days it now seems to only do 36 mpg.

I have no warning lights on the dash. Wanted to plug the fault code reader In just to see if there is a fault as the dealers warranty runs out in a month but still have a few months on Manufacturers warranty

And thanks for the welcome!

It seems strange that for the 2 months that I have had the car the mpg was always about 55mpg but after they had the car for 2 days it now seems to only do 36 mpg.

I have no warning lights on the dash. Wanted to plug the fault code reader In just to see if there is a fault as the dealers warranty runs out in a month but still have a few months on Manufacturers warranty

And thanks for the welcome!

Is that on the average MPG or are you looking at the instant? Just wondering if some :iim: person from the dealership has taken it for a good rag around and lowered you're average mpg. It's not unheard of!

At least you have a little warranty left, definitely worth getting it checked out whilst still under warranty if the problem persists.

Is that on the average MPG or are you looking at the instant? Just wondering if some :iim: person from the dealership has taken it for a good rag around and lowered you're average mpg. It's not unheard of!

At least you have a little warranty left, definitely worth getting it checked out whilst still under warranty if the problem persists.

I am looking at the average mpg. Didn't note the mileage when I left it, so no idea if somebody did use it

I am looking at the average mpg. Didn't note the mileage when I left it, so no idea if somebody did use it

Have you tried resetting the average MPG and then taking it for a decent run to see what you achieve?

It's probably way too soon to say if somethings wrong. Next time you're out in your car, reset the average MPG, and let it settle for a few days. They may have disconnected the battery and reset the ECU, so it needs time to re-adjust.

Also, brim your car ASAP and then see how many miles you get from a tank. After you've used that new tank, re-fill, and work out your MPG manually. I imagine that at 53mpg, you should be getting around 600 miles or so from a tank, compared to around 3-400 miles from a tank at 36mpg.

It's probably way too soon to say if somethings wrong. Next time you're out in your car, reset the average MPG, and let it settle for a few days. They may have disconnected the battery and reset the ECU, so it needs time to re-adjust.

Also, brim your car ASAP and then see how many miles you get from a tank. After you've used that new tank, re-fill, and work out your MPG manually. I imagine that at 53mpg, you should be getting around 600 miles or so from a tank, compared to around 3-400 miles from a tank at 36mpg.

Will try that the next time I am out in the car

Will try that the next time I am out in the car

Let us know the results :)

Let us know the results :)

Problem now sorted by a reset of average mileage , now reading what it was before

Feel a bit stupid for asking the question now :unsure:

Problem now sorted by a reset of average mileage , now reading what it was before

Feel a bit stupid for asking the question now :unsure:

Great news glad you got it sorted! Saves you the hassle of taking it to the dealer! :D

Great news glad you got it sorted! Saves you the hassle of taking it to the dealer! :D

Still got to go back as the satnav still doesn't work (think its anew unit job)

How are you driving to average 53 mpg I can only get near that daudling on the motorway average around 34 up and down to work and a bit of town driving .are you doing a lot of mway driving if not that's excellent mpg for normal roads .

How are you driving to average 53 mpg I can only get near that daudling on the motorway average around 34 up and down to work and a bit of town driving .are you doing a lot of mway driving if not that's excellent mpg for normal roads .

I drive 1 junction down the motorway (about 5 miles) to work but the rest of the time it is normal motoring. There again the speed awareness course may have had something to do with it

When did you last service the car? If it was a while ago, a nice service should recover a few lost mpg :).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club