Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Sound While Driving

WinDrop

Hi Guys,

Damn I hate this car already...I do believe that previous owner never looked after it...
Anyway, The problem that I have now is when I drive straight I hear weird knocking sound in my left wheel. It's not wheel bearing as I have changed that couple of weeks ago. So no chance that it's the wheel bearing.

Funniest thing is that when I press the break pedal a tiny bit (maybe like 1cm or so...) the sound dissapears.

Can it be something to do with the brake pads?
I have passed MOT last week and one of the advisories for next MOT were brake pads and brake discs but not sure can they actually knock like that...
It's not loud, it's only a little bit, and mainly when I drive straight.

I have been told that it might as well be drive shaft. But I think that that knocks only when you turn the steering wheel till the very end.

I have bought the brake discs and pads already as wanted to change them pure simply because they are advised to change for next MOT.

But I would also like to know how to check the drive shaft.

How can I find out what exactly is making that stupid knocking sound?

Hope that you will be able to help me.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Damn I hate this car already...I do believe that previous owner never looked after it...

Anyway, The problem that I have now is when I drive straight I hear weird knocking sound in my left wheel. It's not wheel bearing as I have changed that couple of weeks ago. So no chance that it's the wheel bearing.

Funniest thing is that when I press the break pedal a tiny bit (maybe like 1cm or so...) the sound dissapears.

Can it be something to do with the brake pads?

I have passed MOT last week and one of the advisories for next MOT were brake pads and brake discs but not sure can they actually knock like that...

It's not loud, it's only a little bit, and mainly when I drive straight.

I have been told that it might as well be drive shaft. But I think that that knocks only when you turn the steering wheel till the very end.

I have bought the brake discs and pads already as wanted to change them pure simply because they are advised to change for next MOT.

But I would also like to know how to check the drive shaft.

How can I find out what exactly is making that stupid knocking sound?

Hope that you will be able to help me.

Thanks.

It sounds exactly like a drive shaft. Drive shaft knock can happen regardless of driving straight or cornering although more commonly heard when cornering.

The correct term would be the CV joint not the actual drive shaft although the CV joint is apart of the drive shaft. The cause of the knocking sound is usually the case of the CV joint boot has broken or cracked and oil has leaked out allowing the bearings inside of the CV joint to rub and knock about.

If it's a slight noise like you say then the boot could have a minor damage that the MOT tester missed. You can check the CV joint your self behind the wheel in question there is a shaft going towards to wheel from the engine side and either end of it has a rubber casing. Wipe it off so you can see if it's damaged, have a feel around it looking for tears or oil leak. it's best if you remove the wheel that will give you a chance to check both joints, the inner and outer joints.

Since the sound disappears when braking gently this is a sign of load change on the drive shaft easing up with knocking...

Don't be upset or hate your car bud CV joints go bad and it is a serviceable part and if it does turn out to be a CV joint once sorted you know for a fact the car is in good condition.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

What can happen if this CV Joint won't get fixed?

Can anything serious happen? Can I make long jorneys? I have to drive to the airport on saturday which is 60 miles one way.

By the way. I'm already driving with this noise for about a week now.

It doesn't really change. Doesn't get worst or anything.

The funniest thing is that you can't hear it from outside. You can only hear it slightly from inside of the car.

What could be the average price to change the CV Joint?

Hopefully it's going to be less then 100 quid :)

Also, If I will change it. Would you recommend to change both front cv joints at the same time? Just in case you know...

Or there isn't really big point doing it?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

What can happen if this CV Joint won't get fixed?

Can anything serious happen? Can I make long jorneys? I have to drive to the airport on saturday which is 60 miles one way.

By the way. I'm already driving with this noise for about a week now.

It doesn't really change. Doesn't get worst or anything.

The funniest thing is that you can't hear it from outside. You can only hear it slightly from inside of the car.

What could be the average price to change the CV Joint?

Hopefully it's going to be less then 100 quid :)

Also, If I will change it. Would you recommend to change both front cv joints at the same time? Just in case you know...

Or there isn't really big point doing it?

Thanks.

Yes you can continue driving but this is an issue that will become worse over time therefore the sooner the better.

There are two ways about fixing a CV joint, you can either purchase an entire drive shaft that comes with the CV joints inner and outer already installed, straight swap. or you can purchase a CV joint kit. The kit consist of bearings, new boot, small items specific to that cv joint plus a tube of oil to refill the boot.

Looks like this

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2010/p/car-parts/car-transmission/transmission-parts/cv-joint-kits/?657597280&1&d0d3c4c45be2957cf0b0a1942b44c670f1adf415&000095

Euro car parts has it listed from £50 to £80 for an outer cv joint kit

An entire drive shaft is listed £60 and £90 left and right. The left side is shorter than the right hand side, they are both connected to the differential... that rotates both wheels in the same direction at different speed.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2010/p/car-parts/car-transmission/transmission-parts/driveshaft/?654597251&1&05b6bb3ff406d812905fddf1af201e6719c04c2a&000113

I have never used a CV joint repair kit before but most mechanics would say it's better to replace the drive shaft than do a repair (I think this is because it's easier...) otherwise i would believe if the repair is done correctly it's no better or worse than an entire replacement.

These parts sold by parts company are not brand new they are all reconditioned parts cleaned and replaced worn out bits sold as new, the only place you could get a true brand new drive shaft is ford., don't be put off by this though alot of car parts are reconditioned nothing is wrong with it either hence the cheaper prices compared to ford.

You do not need to change both at the same time.

If the boot is badly damaged with no oil at all and bearing destroyed in worse case scenario the joint can pull apart and then your wheel falls off disconnecting from the suspension, wishbone taking the wheel hub and brakes don't let that scare you though if yours was this bad you'd know, the car would wobble and drift about and knocks loudly.

Firstly identify the true issue so far its only an assumption that the noise is caused by a drive shaft.

PS, if the bearings are badly damaged you cannot use a repair kit in this case only a new drive shaft to fix it.

Also i don't know how old your car is or it's condition but when changing a drive shaft the bolts can be rusted and seized up, in this case heat may need to be applied and decent tools used to avoid rounding off the bolts in other words let a mechanic do it

• Like 1

Once again. Thank you for the very detailed information.

I will try to make some time tomorrow to actually lift the car up and take off the wheel so I can take a closer look at the CV Joint.

Will also make some pictures so I can post them up here for you to take a look at them.

I have been quoted £70 for a CV Joint replacement, the price is including labour.

I think it's not that bad to be honest. But before I actually go for it I will try my best to inspect the Joint myself to see is it that or not.

Once again. Thank you for the detailed explanation. Will keep you updated.

• Like 1

Hi,

I did a 50 mile journey today and found something very funny.

I can hear the knocking noise only when I drive at around 15-35mph limit.
If I drive faster or slower then that I will never hear the sound.

I haven't actually took the wheel off, will do it tomorrow, but I'm just curious shouldn't drive shaft be knocking at any speed?
When I was at MOT I was told that most likely it's the brake pad that knocks because it's at it's limit but I don't really believe that brake pad could knock like that...

Any ideas at all?

• Like 1

Right, Ok. This is really weird now...

I installed new brake disks and pads today and also took a look at the CV Joint. CV Boot is not damaged, it's absolutely fine there.

BUT!!! After I changed the brake pads and disks the knocking sound disappeared. I don't hear it anymore. How can this happen?

• Like 1

It's hard to say if CV joints are all good and noise disappeared after brake change. what i can suggest to you if keep an eye out for the and if it comes back make a video or an audio recording if possible. I don't know of any reasons why your brakes should knock, bit strange

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but it could be of some use to someone who is experiencing this knocking problem at low speed and stops knocking while accelerating or at speed. The probable cause and first thing to check would be the wheel nuts. The wheels can move if not correctly tightened, hence the knocking at low speed and no knocking while under pressure from acceleration. Your brakes may well have needed changing, but you solved the issue when you tightened the wheels back on afterwards. 

Yes,  spuds - I'm surprised it was mentioned first to just check everything is nice and tight.  

Wheel nuts don't come loose on there own, this comes down to failure to torque them down or even do them up at all and just finger tight. 

On 10/12/2013 at 8:48 PM, WinDrop said:

Hi,

I did a 50 mile journey today and found something very funny.

I can hear the knocking noise only when I drive at around 15-35mph limit.
If I drive faster or slower then that I will never hear the sound.

I haven't actually took the wheel off, will do it tomorrow, but I'm just curious shouldn't drive shaft be knocking at any speed?
When I was at MOT I was told that most likely it's the brake pad that knocks because it's at it's limit but I don't really believe that brake pad could knock like that...

Any ideas at all?

If the pads are really low (nearly worn out) and it's the original calipers (probably) there might be enough room for the pads to rattle about in the caliper guide, it only needs to be a couple of mm.  If you've got new pads and discs I'd fit them 1st and see if it improves before spending £70 on a driveshaft.

• 3 months later...

My 2007 5 door fiesta has a terrible knocking noise on the left front side Every time I clutch the car,but noise dies when I accelerate or breaking I lifting the car checked the free movement on the wheel but nothing seem loose the noise can be felt even on the steering wheel,but I don't suspect the suspension cause when in going over humps the noise doesn't change or affected show no link.

To be more specific the noise is consistent to the speed,as the speed decreases so as the knocking noise 

• 1 year later...

Help needed please,

Going over slight bumps or a little faster then normal approaching a speed bump I get a loud knock noise on the front drivers side I've changed the suspension arm, shock absorber, spring, drop link and top mount, and still getting a knock noise, this does not do it on the passenger but only on the drivers, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks aaron! 

Ford focus zetec 2012 mk3 

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:40 PM, Aaron harrison said:

Help needed please,

Going over slight bumps or a little faster then normal approaching a speed bump I get a loud knock noise on the front drivers side I've changed the suspension arm, shock absorber, spring, drop link and top mount, and still getting a knock noise, this does not do it on the passenger but only on the drivers, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks aaron! 

Ford focus zetec 2012 mk3 

Hi did you ever sort out what the problem was? I'm getting the exact same thing driver side

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club