Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Common Problems Thread

jamesm182

Hi all,

In a similar style to the MK1 Focus thread I started yesterday I am also looking for common problems on MK2 Focus models. I will also be looking to eventually put together a buyers guide for these models so any feedback you could give would be much appreciated! :)

James

• Like 1

Hoses from the intercooler to the turbo can split or collapse.

Dirty fuel filters bring up an engine fault light.

If the fuel filter seal is not replaced at the same time as a filter change it can cause air in the fuel line and problematic starting.

Original Ford fuel filters are a must.

Badly designed bonnet locks can cause problems with opening.

I think I cursed myself with mentioning the intercooler hose.

It's happened to mine yesterday.

Sod's law.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think I cursed myself with mentioning the intercooler hose.

It's happened to mine yesterday.

Sod's law.

ditto here :(

• Like 1

Hi I am new to this site I have a 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec and I am currently having a problem where in the morning the battery light comes on when i rev it first thing and stays on for about 20mins during this time the lights dim down and go bright again. I have just put a new Silver Calcium battery on from Ford as the one before was a normal battery. The wires in the connector going into the alternator was showing bare metal and had them repaired. The alternator on it is a reconditioned 105 amp which i had put on about 10 months ago not sure if its a genuine ford one. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dont know it this is common, i know 2 cases + mine so go figure... ~300 000km on the clock. Regulary serviced by the book at the dealer. During the yearly inspection, when they measure the emissions and redline the engine, you start to hear knocking from the engine. Cause: 1 or more Camfollowers are worn out. Mine had all 16, the guy that sold me the injectors had 6 and the third was peugeot whit the same engine and it had all 16 also.

When the camfollowers were worn out, and the engine is revved they can "jump" out between the cam, the follower and the valve, and after that they start to spin around in the valvetrain. Result = Busted camshafts, busted valves, and ofc, the worn out followers that were 60e each... and you have 16 of those...

Ironicly the service shedule ends on 280k km... :D

Problem with the ABS self test on Mk2's. First time you hit 12mph after you first start the car the ABS will self test (same time as the seat belt alarm goes off).It is quite common this will be accompanied by a noticeable clunk and sometimes a rather scary grinding noise. Ford are aware of the problem but will not recall or look at it under warranty as they claim it is not a safety concern and will not harm the car.

Think there is a thread open on this site about this but it was just to make more people aware

Luke

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have recently bought a 2010 (60 plate) Black Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol- overall happy with it but have noticed a distinct clunk or more of a spinging noise when i change from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesn't happen everytime but i recon about 70% of the time i hear this noise, i have taken it to the garage they can't see any problems with it and they have taken it for a drive and have not heard to noise. Has anyone had a similar problem of know if this is a common problem?

It sounds like it is coming right out of the drivers footwell and it is loud enough for a passenger to hear as they have noticed it too.

Any help/ advise would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank you.

Thats the ABS self test as discussed one post above your question ;)

Can anybody help me here.

I have a 59 plate st 40,000 mile and I have a grinding noise at low speeds 0 to 30 miles a hour coming from passenger wheel. I was thinking it was a wheel bearing but had it at garage and says there's nothing wrong wi it but it's getting a little worse as weeks go on. Thanks

Could be either a bearing, or a brake pad in need of replacement. Are the disks in good health?

Also could be something silly like a bushing needs replacing...

Could be either a bearing, or a brake pad in need of replacement. Are the disks in good health?

Also could be something silly like a bushing needs replacing...

Brakes are brand new not even covered a thousand miles. Somebody suggested the diff bairn but surly that would get louder the faster u went aswell

If the breaks are new check the pad's are still correctly attached and they haven't come loose. Also check there is no grit or debris between the pads and disk. Bearing's can begin to make noise before they start to show other signs of failure so i wouldn't rule that out ether.

Does the noise stop at 30mph?

Luke

I would also make sure that when you installed the pads that they have had copper grease applied to them. The vibrations they can get by driving can cause noises such as these.

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised nobody has mentioned water leaking into spark plugs on the 1.6 & 1.4 petrol engines ! judging by other threads on here it appears to be very common, I've just had this issue on my own 55 plate Zetec :-(

I think everyone assumes that its there in everyones minds lol, but its a good point you raise and one worth keeping on this thread!

• 3 weeks later...

unsure if bushes have been mentiones. rear arms and rear front arms, very prone.....

can any 1 tell me what this part is called please mine as a split and leakes oil

Surprised nobody has mentioned water leaking into spark plugs
on the 1.6 & 1.4 petrol engines ! judging by other threads on here
it appears to be very common, I've just had this issue on my own 55
plate Zetec :-(

it was on the first page :)

Hi there guys, i was looking for some advice i have recently developed a flat spot on my throttle. At around 2000 revs the car start to stutter, the engine light came on with engine system fault and limited speed setting.

managed to get it home and got the diagnostic machine on it and it came up with the code P2135 something to do with the throttle switch. It was able to drive a short distance today but still with the flat spot but then the engine system fault came on and limited the speed cut out, but then i got it restarted and nursed it back.

Any ideas to me its sounding expensive.