• Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale

jamesm182

Ford Focus Mk2 Common Problems Thread

Hi All. I have sold my 2009 Zetec S TDCI and bought a  1.8 2009 Focus Titanium TDCI, mainly for extra space. It has the uphill assist thing going  on though not sure it works as if I let my handbrake off on a hill it rolls back.

Anyhow, my issue is the engine. So you guys all know it's a duratec and i need to know if there are known issues with it? It's done 72000 miles, one retired owner from new, FSH so pretty clean. However, it drives pretty badly in that it holds back in first and second gear but once it gets going it's smooth. If I put my foot down hard through the gears, in 3rd and sometimes 2nd, it hits 3000 revs then nothing, like it's in limp mode, but it isn't because if you back off for a second or 2, the power is there again. I am getting about 47 mpg average on a run, which is way down on the Fiesta's 60 mpg but not sure if that's about right or the possible problem I am having is lowering the mpg. I know I need to get ti to a garage for a plug in check, but wondered if anyone else has had this issue or knows what the possible cause could be

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, webby37 said:

So you guys all know it's a duratec and i need to know if there are known issues with it? It's done 72000 miles,

Just a minute, the Duratec is the petrol 1.8! Can you confirm it is the diesel (Duratorq) 1.8TDCI?

Assuming it is the diesel (and 47mpg would be very good for the petrol 1.8 !), then 2 things to look out for are the injectors, and the lower timing belt.

There was a bad batch of injectors for the whole 1.8TDCI family in 2008, that may affect some 2009 models. There is a batch number ending in 3 on the questionable ones. There is more info on this site.

The earlier 1.8TDCIs had a lower timing chain, and an upper belt. The chain was replaced by a 2nd belt in about 2007. Although the official service life is 100k & 10 years, If I recall, there have been reported failures earlier. And some garages do not seem to know about the change, and do not service the lower belt, which is a much harder job to replace than the upper belt. At 72k this is probably close to needing doing.

I rarely take my 1.8 much over 3000rpm, there is not much point as max torque is 1900rpm, and although max power is about 4000, there is not a lot to be gained by holding in the lower gear. But it does go smoothly through the 3000 mark. So I am not sure what would cause that. The turbo should be fully up to speed before 2000rpm, so it would not seem to be that.

Air filter & fuel filter are two simple things to try changing if they are of unknown make, age or condition.

A garage check may well not reveal much, as they can not do any power tests unless they have a (very rare) dynamometer. A system like Forscan is available for as little as £16, and allows you to log Turbo boost and many other parameters while driving, under real conditions.

Must be a Duratorq engine as it is definitely a diesel. I did look at the engine without my glasses on so that may explain it....

Great information, thank you. It has a FSH and was serviced not long before I bought it so I can only imagine the air and fuel filters have been changed recently. 

I'll have a check of the injectors, I'll check the site to find out where the batch number is on the injector.

I did notice this morning that from cold it didn't seem to hold back at all but started when the car warmed up so i'll have to investigate that further too but i'll check the things you mention.

To use Forscan, do I need other tools, like a laptop? I have googled it and can see it's a download but imagine you have to have something plugged into the car while you are actually driving

2 hours ago, webby37 said:

To use Forscan, do I need other tools, like a laptop?

This is my standard intro to Forscan:

Forscan is a powerful Ford specific system, Cost is about £16.00 for the interface. It needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available). You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

The Tunnelrat ELM327s have been reported to work well by several people, and are stated to be compatible with Forscan and ELMConfig.

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992
or
https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

Forscan works best on a Windows laptop, with a USB ELM.  Forscan is also available for iOS & Android for some tablets & phones, using USB if available, or bluetooth or WiFi ELMs. But there are some limitations.

Wireless ELMs are often not as reliable as the wired ones. Also they are rarer in the "modified" form which is needed to access the 2nd Ford bus system. This 2nd bus is the MS-CAN bus, and links all the car interior electronics like door modules, and the BCM (aka GEM). But a standard ELM will still work with all the Underbonnet Modules (PCM, ABS etc) and with the IC (Instrument Cluster).

The Forscan programme is free (in Windows format) and you can get it from:
http://forscan.org/download.html

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

-----------------

I can guide you through the process of doing data logs while driving if you wish. It is a bit fiddly to set up, but once running should not interfere with or distract from driving the car.

Here is a link to some info on the injectors:

It is a bit long and confusing in places. But the symptoms you describe do not match up with the symptoms described for this injector failure. It is usually hesitations under acceleration, followed by the MIL coming on with injector error codes stored.

So hopefully this does not apply to your car!

Re MPG: I got 56 on a m/way run this summer. My normal mileage is no m/way, about one third is with a trailer & heavy load, quite a lot on little lanes, and some short trips, with just a few decent main road runs. Even there I get about 50 mpg in summer, 47mpg in winter.

So if your 47 is on a decent main road run, that is a little low.

19 hours ago, webby37 said:

known issues with it

Another note on the lower (wet) timing belt. I just looked at one thread on this, and a mechanic said Ford changed back to the chain on the '09 engine. You should be able to check with Etis, or a main dealer or spares site, which system your engine has.

See:

On 11/16/2017 at 9:49 AM, TomsFocus said:

This shape Focus doesn't have hill hold assist, it was the Mk3 (2011 on) that got that feature...  

You need a laptop, tablet or smartphone to use FORScan.

Thanks for the info. The car was advertised with Hill start assist, which is why I mentioned it. I did wonder why the car rolled back on a hill .I guess it's best not to believe all you are told

On 11/16/2017 at 11:26 AM, Tdci-Peter said:

This is my standard intro to Forscan:

Forscan is a powerful Ford specific system, Cost is about £16.00 for the interface. It needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available). You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

The Tunnelrat ELM327s have been reported to work well by several people, and are stated to be compatible with Forscan and ELMConfig.

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992
or
https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

Forscan works best on a Windows laptop, with a USB ELM.  Forscan is also available for iOS & Android for some tablets & phones, using USB if available, or bluetooth or WiFi ELMs. But there are some limitations.

Wireless ELMs are often not as reliable as the wired ones. Also they are rarer in the "modified" form which is needed to access the 2nd Ford bus system. This 2nd bus is the MS-CAN bus, and links all the car interior electronics like door modules, and the BCM (aka GEM). But a standard ELM will still work with all the Underbonnet Modules (PCM, ABS etc) and with the IC (Instrument Cluster).

The Forscan programme is free (in Windows format) and you can get it from:
http://forscan.org/download.html

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

-----------------

I can guide you through the process of doing data logs while driving if you wish. It is a bit fiddly to set up, but once running should not interfere with or distract from driving the car.

Here is a link to some info on the injectors:

It is a bit long and confusing in places. But the symptoms you describe do not match up with the symptoms described for this injector failure. It is usually hesitations under acceleration, followed by the MIL coming on with injector error codes stored.

So hopefully this does not apply to your car!

Re MPG: I got 56 on a m/way run this summer. My normal mileage is no m/way, about one third is with a trailer & heavy load, quite a lot on little lanes, and some short trips, with just a few decent main road runs. Even there I get about 50 mpg in summer, 47mpg in winter.

So if your 47 is on a decent main road run, that is a little low.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it