Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Snagglepuss Build Thread Lenny's New Whip

Lenny

lol... nice!

was thinking of purchasing this one for the rear :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVEN-BY-A-MAD-!Removed!-RUDE-STICKER-FOR-CAR-KA-106-GTI-RS-TURBO-SAXO-LAPTOP-/251174411621?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7b295d65

29 next week & he's out in the rain with all my towels & hello kitty hairdryer playing with stickers!! !

Stop reminding me im almost in the same age catagory as you now... :unsure:

this time 12 years ago i was out in all sorts of weather with a hot ride aswell,

now its the cars turn luv :lol:

That's dedication for you :D

+1

Hardcore dedication since 2009 its only rain.

Some old habits just "Stick" bahaha ;)

:P

• Like 2

I always say there's no such thing as bad weather, just an inappropriate choice of clothing.

• Like 1

loving the sticker Lenny ;) I couldn't possibly say I agree or disagree, we just have to take your self judgement ;)

• Like 1

was thinking of purchasing this one for the rear :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVEN-BY-A-MAD-!Removed!-RUDE-STICKER-FOR-CAR-KA-106-GTI-RS-TURBO-SAXO-LAPTOP-/251174411621?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7b295d65

Stop reminding me im almost in the same age catagory as you now... :unsure:

this time 12 years ago i was out in all sorts of weather with a hot ride aswell,

now its the cars turn luv :lol:

+1

Hardcore dedication since 2009 its only rain.

:P[/quote

Pmsl. ..hmmm yeah

• Like 1

Update:

PLEASE NOTE: THE DIRT VISIBLE IN THE oil TRAY ON THE IMAGES BELOW, IS NOT CONTAMINATION IN THE oil, THE DIRT IS AN ACCUMULATION OF LEAVES, GRIT AND STONES THAT HAVE BEEN BLOWN AROUND THE YARD. THE DIRT IS NOT METAL FROM THE GEARBOX :lol:

After receiving the gearbox magnetic sump plug during the week,

And having purchased 2ltrs of 75W90 transmission fluid a few weeks back,

The last thing I was waiting on was a dry day,

IMG_20140103_130629_zpsqw3czdd_edit_1388

Today was cold but dry,

So I went out, removed the induction box in order to gain access to the top of the gearbox,

IMG_20140119_184146_zpssfrwxfz_edit_1390

Prior to going near the drain plug,

I made sure I had a bolt open to allow me to fill the sump,

Nothing worse than draining the box then to find I can't open the top to fill it again :lol: that would be a disaster ;)

Anyways, I finally got one bolt that allowed filling of the box after trying a few:

See the black Allen head

IMG_20140119_184157_zpsbbergbc_edit_1390

I unscrewed it completely then turned it in half a rotation to prevent dirt entering while I began to work on the drain side of things.

Here is the filler and the sump

IMG_20140119_184221_zpsgzuwjmg_edit_1390

I got under the car and removed part of the under tray to gain access to the sump,

The guys on the AE111 forums say the gearbox takes 1.9ltrs of fluid that's how I knew to purchase two bottles of fluid,

I used Vicki's cooking measuring pots to remove 100ml from one of the bottles leaving 1900ml perfect for filling the box,

So when I opened the sump drain I was expecting to catch around 1.9ltrs of dirty fluid.

To my absolute shock :o

A little over 500ml of fluid drained from the 6 speed gearbox and LSD sump.

IMG_20140119_182055_zpszqsqn2v_edit_1390

IMG_20140119_182137_zpsl7vr9wr_edit_1390

IMG_20140120_050945_zps77csdgk_edit_1390

I've fitted the magnetic sump plug,

Here it is compared to the standard gearbox sump plug

IMG_20140119_172716_zps0wy15sh_edit_1390

IMG_20140119_172803_zps49xbs1y_edit_1390

I then filled the box with approx. 1.9ltrs of 75W90

I've run it up and down the driveway to get the gears going,

Selecting gear feels smoother so I can only imagine driving will have improved too,

To explain the low fluid level in the sump,

Nicky reckons they swapped out a drive shaft but never topped up the gearbox afterwards,

This would explain the low fluid level because the driveshafts sit a bit above the gearbox sumps lowest point.

Still shocking to have been 1400ml below standard operating level,

Thankfully the magnetic sump plug fits a treat and will catch any fragments here it is in place:

IMG_20140119_184210_zpsdbw6qxa_edit_1390

Job done :)

All fluids now changed with the exception of brake fluid,

Its recently had discs and pads changed so I'm not going to touch the brake fluid,

Only other consumable it has remaining is the air-conditioning gas recharge and a fuel filter,

Comma manufacture a kit for doing this and its available in Halfords, I plan to give it a try in March/April

Regarding the fuel filter,

I've got some fuel system cleaning additive in the tank at present, I'm waiting for that tank to be used up thus flushing the dirt from the fuel tank and pump in to the filter where it will be trapped prior to me changing it.

• Like 1

Update:

Got a text from local Toyota dealership this morning to say my order had arrived,

I had initially tried to purchase two of these parts from breakers but no luck, so the dealers was the only option.

First of all was the inside weather strip for the windscreen:

IMG_20140120_121947_zpsf8btzki_edit_1390

Goes around the inside of the windscreen prior to glueing it with sealant, fitting of the replacement windscreen will take place in early February; now that this part has arrived.

Next was the foam holder that fits in to the centre of the space saver spar wheel, holds the wheel brace and jack winder bar tightly in place preventing them from rolling around the boot compartment,

Not bad for 10.26 euro inc. VAT

IMG_20140120_122020_zpsis7dsce_edit_1390

IMG_20140120_122027_zpsstas03xc.jpg

Should look like this when fitted:

20_zpsea4700d3.jpg

After that is the boot air duct,

Found in all cars the duct vents air outwards from inside the car generally to inside the rear bumper,

You will see at the start of the build; one of the problems the Levin had was a puddle of water and mud in the well behind the rear passenger wheel,

This was caused by the existing air duct; all four clips were broken on it, causing it t lose its grip and seal to the panel,

As result; any time it rained,

Water would be channeled from the roof and boot down past the duc panel where it is designed to drip free from the cars body,

But since the air duct was broken, the after would enter the body and gather in the well behind the rear passenger wheel.

Here's the existing air duct in place:

Image3869_zpsecf24260.jpg

Doesn't look broken in the above image because I had it pulled in,

But you can see how it is in the image below,

Image3863_zpsd84be472.jpg

Here's the replacement:

IMG_20140120_122052_zpsmksgdbg_edit_1390

Its going to be a long enough job to get it replaced,

Rear reg plate, rear bumper, tail lights and reg light loom, all have to be removed to gain full access to the vent,

Remove it and clip in the replacement.

Will be well worth it though, no more leaking boot.

In the post then,

The genuine Toyota lambda oxygen sensor arrived from the group purchase received from Toyota Japan,

Saving 157.00 euro exc. VAT compared to purchasing from the local Toyota Dealership for exactly the same item.

SAM_0581_zps75289b26.jpg

IMG_20140120_122139_zpskvuec1k_edit_1390

IMG_20140120_122201_zpsob0sz5c_edit_1390

That it for today guys,

I'll have another update on Saturday/Sunday

I'm up and on the road for 6am Saturday on a road trip around the country collecting replacement parts from breakers,

9 hours of driving but cheaper than getting them all posted.

Hopefully fit them on Sunday if the weathers good.

Its like piecing a jigsaw together sourcing the parts and watching it come back to life :)

• Like 3

Update:

Ownership manual came up for sale on a Toyota forum last week, so I thought it would go nicely in the glove compartment of the car,

I can only read two or three words as its all written in Japanese but its an original part of the car and a rare find even though I'm sure there's more of these manuals remaining than there are levins :)

As you may be able to see in the third image of the manual a front lip for the Levin was over 200GBP cheaper than a CD multi changer back in 2000

Its mad how the prices have swapped and its now more expensive to get a front lip than a CD multi changer when buying a new motor.

Small observation but something I found interesting when it comes to dealership crazy prices.

IMG_20140121_120030_zpsbpqjuo3_edit_1390

IMG_20140121_120101_zpsdswbmct_edit_1390

IMG_20140121_120148_zps2teaow4_edit_1390

Weather was cold but dry this morning;

So I set out to replace the boot air duct that arrived from Toyota last Monday and shown in previous posts.

Started by removing the reg plate,

Then loosening the three bolts on the top of the bumper panel

Image4085_zpsfko3vzy_edit_1390391271810_

Next for removal was this plastic screw clip,

There's two of them under the bumper much like the focus,

Unfortunately someone had tried to remove this one before and ruined the Philips head which made it super fun trying to get it removed,

Pliars was the only tool for the job in the end,

Pulled it out then added it to the list of replacement parts :rolleyes:

Image4079_zpsvs7d6q0_edit_1390391139965_

I then removed two nuts from inside the boot panel allowing the bumper to be lifted free enough to get my hand in and lift out the old broken air duct.

Image4083_zpsk6hq2ct_edit_1390391958399_

Broken air duct now removed:

Image4091_zpsugfizyu_edit_1390391606794_

Image4082_zpsf0eelzh_edit_1390391871870_

Here is old compared to the new:

Image4086_zpsio9hcwg_edit_1390391697288_

Image4087_zpsezknwsw_edit_1390391794490_

Now back in place

Image4089_zpsl06fai8_edit_1390391399922_

Looks much better,

No more broken clips allowing water in to the well at the rear of the arch or gathering dirt slowly rusting the body,

Image4090_zpsuq79etk_edit_1390391482658_

If we cast back to October here's a picture of the puddle:

Image3833_zpsf3297dd7.jpg

Dried in dirt that was brought inside the body via the broken air vent

Image3854_zps319909cb.jpg

Image3829_zpsd8cf40e5.jpg

I reckon replacing this vent has been the best long term improvement done to date, no more puddle or water engress,

I'll get the rust treated eventually when having it painted and filled exterior work, but for now its comforting to know; its not going to get any worse in the meantime.

• Like 1

Update:

Purchased a set of seatbelt pads for the rear to prevent the belts rubbing off the fabric,

Purchased on eBay from china last November for 3gbp they arrived today..

IMG_20140124_090227_zpsebvefqvl.jpg

I've not fitted them yet,

Weather today was raining all last note and today, usually a complaint but I was glad as it give me a chance to check if the boot was still leaking and thankfully its not,

So I began putting the parts back in t place,

Although some rust exists, I'll get it treated when it comes time to paint the body,

Spare space saver wheel and jack now back in clean/dry place

IMG_20140124_150944_zpsxoimv8bo.jpg

IMG_20140124_151041_zpsj63nuj8n.jpg

IMG_20140124_151129_zpspkpbkje3.jpg

IMG_20140124_151745_zpsybm7flj_edit_1390

I'm up at 5am in the morning feeling like "mike brewer" minus 10 stone; I'm heading off on an eight hour round driving trip to the west of Ireland, meeting nicky87 then up to a fella who's breaking three levin to purchase some replacement parts,

I'll update y'all when I return tomorrow evening and hopefully get some of the parts fitted on Sunday if the weather improves.

• Like 1

Update:

Been on the road driving from 6am to 8pm today,

Full tank of diesel 3 tolls 1,287km covered and plenty of replacement parts crossed off the list,

I'll update in detail tomorrow absolutely wrecked from driving all day

IMG_20140125_200748_zps4cnm0ek_edit_1390

Two hours away from where I bought the parts from and realised I had come away without one of them,

So I had to do a U turn and drive back that 2hrs I can just came from, to pick u that final part before driving the 4hr journey home,

All done now though,

Some replacement air vents also expected in the post next week as I didn't have time to travel to Clare to collect them

• Like 1

That's a good haul.

thanks mate,

Well proud I got the lot for 150 euro, 7euro on tolls and 78euro on a tank of diesel.

Sent Via the App built in to Lenny's Head.

Someones been a busy boy, what can I say wow. and you said you would not change the oil yourself, It all these little things that make the difference from being on the road and being on the road and right, hopefully the extra effort will give you some reliability and piece of mind. keep up the good work :)

Someones been a busy boy, what can I say wow. and you said you would not change the oil yourself, It all these little things that make the difference from being on the road and being on the road and right, hopefully the extra effort will give you some reliability and piece of mind. keep up the good work :)

Hi George,

Good to see you online again mate,

Your encouragement caused me to service it myself, I owe you one for that mate,

Today I took kids to see "free birds" in the cinema, got home and I went out to the Levin, I began removing the dash panels to gain Accra to the 3 dash vents,

To my surprise complete overkill on Toyota's part

Each vent is secured using two 35mm Philips head screws in the rest facing in to the dash on the inside,

Only way to get at them is to remove the full dashboard from the car,

Spent 4 hours only to get the 3 vents out,

Thankfully replacements are on there way,

But unfortunitly the fitting of anything is now on hold pending arrival of the vents, here's an image of the kitchen the way its going to be until the vents get here lol

VickiC is one angry bird!!

a>

• Like 1

Who says men don't use the kitchen :D

:lol: its harbouring more parts than a Chinese sweat shop

Im exhausted too, could do with a few days off work now to stick at it but I'm on 7-3 tomorrow for six days although I'll get at it next Sunday and Monday as I'm not in until 23:00 Monday night .

• Like 1

Who says men don't use the kitchen :D

Grrr...guess who has to hop the wall tomorrow to unlock side gate to get to the dryer in the shed

!!!!

• Like 1

hmm, Lenny?

lmao I'd run through it quicker than climb over it mart.
  • Like 2

Pmsl, Lenny thats class but dont think Vicki will leave it there for long mate, so hope your vents come quick, ;). and Vicki just think how fit you'll feel after a couple of weeks of jumping the wall LOL. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Haha reminds me of the bit on top gear where Richard drove that massive army truck thing through a brick wall. I have visions now of someone walking by as Lenny crashes through!

• Like 2

Pmsl, Lenny thats class but dont think Vicki will leave it there for long mate, so hope your vents come quick, ;). and Vicki just think how fit you'll feel after a couple of weeks of jumping the wall LOL. :ph34r:

Not as fit as Lenny will be having to dodge heavy items being lobbed at him by a very unhappy Vicki :D

Keep ducking mate. :P

• Like 3

1390845782"]Pmsl, Lenny thats class but dont think Vicki will leave it there for long mate, so hope your vents come quick, ;). and Vicki just think how fit you'll feel after a couple of weeks of jumping the wall LOL.

Eh I'm already fit George in my prime I am.. .ain't tat right Leo??;))I'd be more than happy to put up video of Leo's tries to get over wall

Haha reminds me of the bit on top gear where Richard drove that massive army truck thing through a brick wall. I have visions now of someone walking by as Lenny crashes through!

It will beLenny's head going through the wall Martyn

• Like 2

:lol: expecting vents to arrive by Wednesday mate, hopefully all will be safe until then

:lol: ive had similar moments mate,

I was fitting the MCM decals to the car with a hair dryer, one passer by asked if i was drying the car lol awkward

Eh I'm already fit George in my prime I am.. .ain't tat right Leo??;))

Of course it is Victoria spot on luv :) just don't touch me car parts lol

Bit of a !Removed! in a vice situation response to post here guys :lol:

• Like 1

Update:

Fitted the newly acquired ;) rear passenger side; interior quarter panel that has sustained no scratches or chips unlike its predecessor.

I'll upload a picture of the old one here..

Here is the replacement now in place along with the rest of the back seat.

I have purposely kept the cup holders slightly raised from the side panels as I'm considering fitting some ambient cup holder illumination much like the focus.

IMG_20140127_165552_zpsah0hvqbp.jpg

IMG_20140127_165634_zpswi4joexp.jpg

IMG_20140127_165700_zpsefgbseyz.jpg

Moving on from that,

Here's a picture of how the front dash currently looks,

IMG_20140127_165722_zpsjyzyt2fy.jpg

IMG_20140127_165758_zpsyxpftvru.jpg

The dash vents were dispatched today from the west of Ireland so if they were sent via standard untracked post they should arrive tomorrow, but if sent via tracked post it will be Wednesday before they get here; weird I know, pay more for tracked and wait a further 24hrs to get it.

Anyways

I've fitted the side panels and carpet to the boot along with the scuff panel, I was hoping to get a scuff panel with less scratches on it but sadly the three I saw on Saturday were much the same as my existing one, so I'll stick with this one until I source one in better condition if possible because it won't be carrying cargo.

IMG_20140127_165758_zpsyxpftvru.jpg

IMG_20140127_165825_zpst3wjr3c0.jpg

IMG_20140127_165835_zpsnrpdes67.jpg

Following this; I picked up a replacement centre console section in better condition than the existing one,

I sat them side by side and transfered the parts

One on the left is the replacement

IMG_20140127_175831_zps3sqjyl1h.jpg

Here's an example of some scuffing on the old centre console

IMG_20140127_175837_zpsisca1r8o.jpg

Here's the replacement; sure its a small scuff but its not scratched in other places aswell,

IMG_20140127_175844_zpsjiaal2qj.jpg

Cup holder transfered:

IMG_20140127_182129_zpsz341b1lo.jpg

And now complete;

IMG_20140127_214102_zpsot9onhaf.jpg

Now that the boot compartment is back together and empty,

I decided to use it to store some parts, i cleaned each part using pound shop car wipes prior t placing in the boot compartment thus clearing up the space in the kitchen and confining the parts to on top of and underneath the kitchen table,

Leaving Vicki full access to the back door again,

IMG_20140127_214140_zpsvdixoetw.jpg

I'll update with pictures of the vents when they arrive but the next progress update including fitting the vents will most likely be on Sunday.

• Like 1