Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Cam/12V Socket

mattrix

Hi Guys,

Somebody at work recently bought a GS1000 HD dash cam - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-Dash-Car-DVR-Cam-Vehicle-Camera-LED-Night-Vision-Blackbox-Video-GS1000-/350831149562?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51af2a81fa

He seems to think its good and I was wondering if anyone else has a dash cam of any sort and could recommend one as a lot of them are chinese jobs and i don't want to get a rubbish one. I have recently started a new job which involves some business miles and I've just got a new car so that's why im looking into getting one.

Also - I have a 2010 Focus which I believe is the Mk 2.5? The 12v sockets seem to be permanently on which is great! Except it isn't very useful here, since most of the dash cams out there rely on ignition switched 12v supplies for their auto on/off feature (I'm 22 and male so I WILL forget to turn it on/off manually). I have looked at a few forums where other people have asked this and there seems to be mixed answers about it. Someone mentioned some sort of "bridging cable" which can be removed to change the 12v circuit into ignition switched?

Can anyone offer any help with either of the above? I would be really greatful!

Thanks,

Matt.

Great subject, i am also in the process of installing a dash cam. go through this guy youtube videos, he talks about this exact problem and he has reviewed much better dashcam than the one your friend has.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

Thanks I will take a look at those videos and see what I can see, maybe motion detection might get around my 12v problem...

I've already been through most of this guy's videos, however i am still unable to compare the cameras. I even asked him for such a feature on his website, so people can see all the specs in a table, but he wasn't very keen in creating one.

Personally, i would like a camera that will be small enough to be hidden close to the rain sensor (or even next to it). At the same time, i would like good quality, and i understand that this is relatively hard to get. Ideally, i would like to get a system that will consist of the sensor lens and a separate recorder, which i would then place anywhere in the car.

Regarding Mattrix's problem with the constant 12v, i believe there is a way of getting an ignition-switched voltage from the stereo loom. I am not 100% sure about that, so somebody else has to provide more info.

The radio loom has a permanent live (for radio memory and one hour function) and a switched live.

Quadlocklayout110913owndoc.jpg

I wired another 12v aux socket in the glove box , through an ignition live , works really well with my cam. which is this one.

Camera is a dual cam and quality is not too bad , You must use a Class 10 card in them though for best recording quality.

hi preee how much did you pay and where did you get it from

are they any good at night and did you get the pieces of string

thanks

As others have done, I've wired a separate double socket, (From ebay), through the ignition for my dash cam and phone charger, and being a smoker it saves the factory unit for lighting up whilst i'm driving

hi preee how much did you pay and where did you get it from

are they any good at night and did you get the pieces of string

thanks

I got it from gadget show live , but you can get them from either eBay or Alibaba.com , cheaper from Alibaba.com than eBay.

Quality from the front cam is great daytime , average night time , rear cam ir good enough if someone runs into the back of you day/night to get numberplate details ,

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=dual+dash+cam&CatId=0&catId=

• 2 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, quick question though... Does the wiring loom on the Focus match the Focus-CMAX? I am looking to wire in an ignition live for my newly acquired dashcam.

The wiring is the same afaik.

Take a supply off the radio loom ignition live.

Yeah think I might have to! I just need to dig out an extra 12v wiring set, so I might keep my eye open. Cheers Clive!

• 1 month later...

Really wish I'd had one of these on the m25 yesterday.

Some yob decided to throw his litter out his window including a bottle!! Managed to miss it just! I flashed the numpty and he didnt like it much as he did it again! I slowed down and let him get on with his sad little existence!

Do these cameras run.a continuous recording? Say a 3 hr motorway journey? Obviously depends on memory card size I suppose.

Really tempted now to get one after that performance yesterday.

Some yob decided to throw his litter out his window including a bottle!! Managed to miss it just! I flashed the numpty and he didnt like it much as he did it again! I slowed down and let him get on with his sad little existence!

Do these cameras run.a continuous recording? Say a 3 hr motorway journey? Obviously depends on memory card size I suppose.

Really tempted now to get one after that performance yesterday.

Really tempted now to get one after that performance yesterday

Check this thread out mate

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/52271-my-new-mobius-dashcam/

with this cam you can have it on continuous loop, in 5 min vids, my 16gb card will give me just over 2 hours of recordings on 1080p standard quality, but the great thing is when it gets to the end of the storage it will delete the oldest and continue recording

• Like 1

Don't want to sound the old fuddy but I did hear that some of these cameras evidence will not stand up in court because the camera has a viewable screen whilst driving???????

Don't want to sound the old fuddy but I did hear that some of these cameras evidence will not stand up in court because the camera has a viewable screen whilst driving???????

possibly - best to get one without like the mobius actioncam and tuck it away behind the rear view mirror like I have

Wow i forgot i posted this last year haha! I still havent got s dashcam, and to be honest i am not confident in wiring one up to the fusebox so that it only turns on when the ignition is turned on as i know bugger all about cars and i would need a proper step-by-step guide on what i would need, and how to do it. But im really greatful for all of you guys putting in your knowledge. I may still buy a dashcam but I might have to just unplug/plug it in to the 12v supply when i get in and out of the car.

Wow i forgot i posted this last year haha! I still havent got s dashcam, and to be honest i am not confident in wiring one up to the fusebox so that it only turns on when the ignition is turned on as i know bugger all about cars and i would need a proper step-by-step guide on what i would need, and how to do it. But im really greatful for all of you guys putting in your knowledge. I may still buy a dashcam but I might have to just unplug/plug it in to the 12v supply when i get in and out of the car.

All you need is to use a piggy back fuse connected to a ignition switched live feed in the fusebox for the positive and then the earth to where ever you want to earth it to. Its really easy. You can get 12v-5v transformer cables (this is what I used) for £3 off eBay.

Haha oh god, I'm an IT Support Engineer, and now i know what I sound like when i talk to people about what i've done to fix their server, you might as well have been speaking japanese just then... do you have a link to the eBay item at all? I'm going to search "12v - 5v transformer cables" in the mean time.

Both of them say the listing has been removed or the item is no longer available but I will search for the piggyback fuse on eBay now.

Both of them say the listing has been removed or the item is no longer available but I will search for the piggyback fuse on ebay now.

try them now, the links got messed up when I made the post :)

Ahh ok thanks i see, so the piggyback fuse lets you attach the live and neutral from the comnverter cable to it, and then also attach the regular fuse which was in that position in the fuse box to it as well? Sort of like an extension cable for power sockets? (Sorry trying to visualise in terms i can understand)

yeah that's the theory but with car electrics positive and a ground, so within the cable there is just a red and black wire - the red wire attaches to the piggyback fuse which you have located in a slot of a fuse that has an ignition switched feed (ie it is only live when the ignition is switched on) (as you say the original fuse goes in the bottom slot then you would put say a 5amp fuse in the top one which would be the protection for the cam) then the black wire can be attached to any point on the car body, there are many earthing points on the car body already or you can just tap into a ground wire for something else.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club