Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Winter Prep

vince_13

looking to get my focus ready for winter, if it is as bad as last year I don't want to be caught out,

now my MOT advised I get the 2 front tyres replaced (still within legal limit)

last year I had summer tyres on and used Auto Socks (which I cant recommend enough) however you cant use them all the time etc so now im considering getting winter tyres,

if I was to change the fronts to winter tyres would It ruin them by using them now?

snow tyres are expensive compared to snow socks, so I don't know whether to buy mid range tyres and use snow socks or buy the snow tyres and use snow socks as backup

any advice? anyone used snow tyres

A lot of people on here tend to recommend having two sets of tires - eg. having summer ones, and then proper winter ones in storage, so that they don't get worn. This way it can last a few winters too, so you won't be spending much. Personally, I would recommend this, and get some good winter tires. I wouldn't put them on now though, as its not proper cold obviously.

If you wanted to go with this route, I'm sure someone will pop in with some specific recommendations.

I operate all year round tyres, only once did I get stuck,every other winter was clean and no issues at all.

Snow socks are a good idea, but they are limited. I would advise that you need to keep them on only when on snow, but I wouldn't worry.

FYI, TDCiST did a winter care guide, so take a look on the forum for some inspiration.

Yh id love to have sets of tyres but don't have the space or the time to store and change them over

Sensible driving is what's needed,not doing 0-60 in 5 seconds as most people in my area think. Snow socks in the boot arena good idea though.

too true,

can any recommend any good tyre brands, not necessarily winter tyres, ideally need them to be good in wet and motorway conditions

I run 2 winter tyres in the front and leave summer's on the back. Because I'm a poor student and got given 2. Lol.

too true,

can any recommend any good tyre brands, not necessarily winter tyres, ideally need them to be good in wet and motorway conditions

For all-seasons tyres take a look here on this link, go down the right hand side and find All Seasons Tyre Test 2013 http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Avon ZV5 are excellent tyres for all round conditions.

thanks guys, having read that website it sounds like the best solution is to have osme all season tyres and then use the snow socks if and when required during winter time

ive seen them avons they have good ratings

Snow socks are an excellent survival tool, I am hoping to get some, but need to wait for funds to be freed!

thanks for all your input guys, unfortunately my GF had a blowout this morning so she will be in need of some new tyres, and the only avons for her wheels are ZV3 which don't have a good rating

ive found the avon ZV5 tyres on tyres on the drive .com for a very good price, they have agreed to do both cars at the same household on the Saturday which I think is excellent service

Not bad at all, question is whats the cost!?

I'm picking up an ST2 soon which I can't imagine is going to be any good in the winter at all!

I don't think i'll be buying winter tyres, but does anyone have any recommendation of snow socks? where to get them from etc?

Thanks

snow socks are excellent, i used them for the first time last year and as a terrible driver in the snow even i was impressed, they allow you to be able to break like normal,

id suggest go onto the autosocks website they also have how to guides and videos explaining the operation etc also has some tips

type in your wheel details or your reg this will then give you an autosock size (645), you can then locate a dealer and buy from them, but i searched eBay using the 3 digit number and buy them from there, i paid £60 last week for a pair of socks for the front tyres for my car

1 thing i would suggest is buy the socks 1" bigger than the diameter of your wheels, this saves lots of time and effort when taking them off especially if your next to a busy road

well worth a buy, another tip i was told is not to have summer tyres on, because in the low temps this causes the rubber to go rock hard and therefore increase the change of slipping etc

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

I just bought (yesterday) A set of TexChain auto socks, and they look like an excellent build quality, most the pictures I see of snow socks, look like this thin woolen polystyrene material, but these are what I bought (Large for 205/55 R16)

£40 and with all but one as an excellent review.

http://direct.asda.com/Tex-Chain-Anti-Skid-Snow-and-Ice-Wheel-Covers--2-pack/MASTERTexSnowChains,default,pd.html

For those going down the winter tyre route, you can't beat these: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/60712/continental-contiwintercontact-ts-850

I got some new in June for £350 inc delivery from here: http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/

I just bought (yesterday) A set of TexChain auto socks, and they look like an excellent build quality, most the pictures I see of snow socks, look like this thin woolen polystyrene material, but these are what I bought (Large for 205/55 R16)

£40 and with all but one as an excellent review.

http://direct.asda.com/Tex-Chain-Anti-Skid-Snow-and-Ice-Wheel-Covers--2-pack/MASTERTexSnowChains,default,pd.html

can you keep us updated on the perfomance of these, (if there is any snow that is)

indeed, I plan to :-) not heard any whispers of snow this month but next month is meant to be more trying. will post updates though :-)

sent using the Ford OC app for android.

• Like 1

well Ive had the avons fitted and ive never had a car feel so stable and positive, the car now tracks true and corners so easily

haven't had chance to test them in the wet yet fingers crossed

Avons are a good choice. I had Avon Ranger Ice winter tyres on my Land Rover.

Snow socks or chains are a good thing - if you are running summer tyres in the winter due to cost reasons (very affordable at £40) you can stick them in the boot in case you get caught out in the snow - but are just a low-cost solution and no substitute for a proper set of dedicated winter / snow tires on a second set of rims

Likewise "all year round" tyres, not as good as summer tyres in the summer (some with 10metres longer wet braking distances!- see link/) and not as good as dedicated winter tyres in the snow - so really just a compromise, comfort/ noise and economy/ rolling resistance can also be poor

Quote - "there’s no escaping a dedicated summer and winter tyre setup is the optimum for year round safety and performance".

"All year round" tyre review -

- http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

-

So ultimately - for the best performance/ safety/ etc in the summer/ winter/ snow you really need a second set of rims with winter/ snow tyres on them - there are other advantages like getting the best milage/ wear out of your tyres / having a second set of rims for emergencies (steelies will do)- saving money in the long run

So when you brake in the snow hopefully you won't break anything! (note the correct spelling!) :lol:

fully agree with you there FOCA, socks and chains are better than a kick in the ghoolies, and driving around without them, but they will be a tad faffy (for example, stopping to put them on and take them off). They should be enough to get anyone out of a tight pickle, but if you can afford the winter tyres, the best consumer advice available is to buy the winter tyres.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club