Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flickering Drl

Preee

While driving home the other night i was at a set of triaffic lights behind a black van , looking at the reflection on the back of the van , i saw i had the dreaded Mk3 Flashing DRL :( , not noticed it before , so i guess i'll be making an appointment Monday. They can also replace the rear badge while they have it due to it starting to flake.

I'm sure if i read somewhere that it's a wiring fault on the Mk3 on the lights.

• Like 1

Ive heard of the issue but last i heard there was not a fix ford had replaced the drls only for the same thing to happen so were meant to be working on a fix as well as finding the cause

Sorry to read of this guys,

From my understanding it seems it would be caused by a fluctuation in the electrical current,

If my theory is correct then this issue will effect more petrol models than diesel,

Due to petrol drawing more power for constant ignition compared to diesel which uses glow plugs at a constant current.

Paul

I have two pivot megarazin voltage stabiliser capacitors,

There not original pivot so they don't switch off when the current drops,

So I wouldn't leave it permanently connected but for trial use connect it to the battery then check your DRL for fluctuation

The additional capacitors in the pivot megarazin box will act as a resivour of power thus cushioning the draw of power from the battery,

Picture it as a gargen hose from a tap,

Your watering flowers then someone in the house used the sink,

Your water pressure drops as result.

If you were to connect your hose to a water bund,

And have your tap feeding in to the bund,

In the event of someone using another tap in the house,

The bund you have will maintain constant flow to you cushioning the lack of supply from the tap,

I imagine the electrical issue in the car is much like this,

With the spark plug ignition being the person in the house using the tap,

But on a much faster on/off rate

Causing the fluctuations on the lights,

Pivot megarazin voltage stabilisers can provide current faster than the battery resulting in constant rate.

Then the bund will catch up when supply returns.

Sounds about right lenny i read something about current alternator diodes on diesels and petrols so what you say above sounds pretty much what i read juat finished my 4th 13.5 hour night shift so my brain cant put it in technical terms

• Like 1

I see what your saying about the voltage , it's been a while since i have see any other Flickering DRL fault so maybe there may be a fix i will see what they say before i start messing with anything :).

I have done a little reading and the problem is both Petrol and Diesel models.

• Like 1

Sounds about right lenny i read something about current alternator diodes on diesels and petrols so what you say above sounds pretty much what i read juat finished my 4th 13.5 hour night shift so my brain cant put it in technical terms

That's what I've got to look forward to next Saturday mate,

I'm back on night shift tomorrow until 7am Saturday

I see what your saying about the voltage , it's been a while since i have see any other Flickering DRL fault so maybe there may be a fix i will see what they say before i start messing with anything :).

I have done a little reading and the problem is both Petrol and Diesel models.

Hope its sorted for you mate,

And top respect for being open with the problem,

I'll report back on what they say and do , the flickering happens only when the lights are on and engine running , it's only the O/S.

I'm sure it will take a few days to get booked in as i want them to replace the rear badge as well. As i'm always stuck at traffic lights i always look at the reflection of the DRL's and lights in the rear of cars , so i know this has only just started happening. Whe i first heard of this problem a few months back i checked mine , and the flickering is pretty easy to see.

• Like 1

Typical , it's not doing it now , tried every combination and it's stopped (For now) , so i will hold back on the dealers until i have something to show them. :wacko:

Pree it is common for the DRLs seen loads on titx and st owners complaining about it, mine did it a bit last winter then seemed to stop, noticed it once this year and I've even had a new headlamp due to the condensation problems.flicker usually only occurs when lights are on dip and DRLs dim down, I've not heard anymore about it on the other forums but will be good to hear if u get a result from ford.

The fault came back , so i managed to get it in today , i was there about 2 hours , they replaced the rear badge after saying first that they were only covered for one year , but the Ford tech guy was there as i was booking it in and turned around and said , "no" it's been extended to two years :) fair play to him , so they replaced the rear badge.

The Flickering DRL has received a Software update , which they say should fix the issue , i will see tonight as you can see it more clearly at night. So hopefully the fault has been fixed :)

i have said it before and i'll say it again, Furrows Ford in Telford are the best dealer i have ever used.

I've got slight corrosion on my rear badge but have dmb gel badge on it aswell so bit reluctant to ask about that yet, let me know how u get on with the update as it's supposed to change the average mph readout to the current trip on the quad display on the dash.

I've got slight corrosion on my rear badge but have dmb gel badge on it aswell so bit reluctant to ask about that yet, let me know how u get on with the update as it's supposed to change the average mph readout to the current trip on the quad display on the dash.

I'll take a look at that , but i noticed that , that section had not been reset , i think they only updated the lighting module.

• 4 years later...

Anyone update on this?

I recently purchased a '62 plate Focus Mk3 TitX and in slow traffic this morning I noticed my DRLs flickering when set to their low-light position (the full brightness setting doesn't seem to suffer, so it would seem whatever is being used to 'dim' them isn't operating correctly).

Many thanks!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club