rusty123

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Name: r
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci
  • Year: 2003

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

You seen to know more about these things then me. If my alternator is shot how come i can use the car for 2-3 days without the battery dying? If it wasn't getting a charge surely it would die alot sooner?? I put a multimeter on the battery just and it read 12.50 engine off and 12.30 engine on.the last time i charged the battery was Monday night and have used the car daily since then. Surely the battery should have less charge in it than that if alternators not doing its job?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

The alternator should put out more than that so probably duff alternator. And you wont find out IF theres another problem til you rectify the main one 1st. Also,alternator can just start to fail so will work intermittently til it wont put out the required current at all

#18 BOF

BOF

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

You seen to know more about these things then me. If my alternator is shot how come i can use the car for 2-3 days without the battery dying? If it wasn't getting a charge surely it would die alot sooner??

You are probably getting some charge. In daytime driving (no lights, no a/c, no heated windows, no heated seats) the car current consumption isn't that high, although it does climb markedly if you switch those big electrical loads on. Given the capacity of a battery, you take some time to 'wear it down', and if you are even putting a small average current into it, that will take longer.

The exact current:voltage profile of the alternator can only be guessed at, but the battery isn't getting enough charge overall. You have to look at your other thread for the critical information:

@rusty123, here

I had to go worcester in it today. It started ok round go there,when i started it to come home,you could hear the battery was struggling a bit and then on way home the battery light came up on dash,about 5 mins later the abs light came on also then just before i got home those lights went off but the dials stopped working speedo,revs,petrol guage and temp.the when i parked up outside mine and turned the headlights off the dials started to work again .almost like it hadn't got enough power to power headlights and dash display at once. Oh and i tried to start it after i turned it off and battery is dead again

and

Managed to bump start it,drove it home about 25 miles away,tried it again outside my house as soon as id parked up and turned ignition off and nothing,completely dead. Didn't even attempt to start. 

but when the battery is flat, shortly after the vehicle has had an extended run, it isn't a low average current drain over an extended period (overnight or longer) that's doing it. If charging is working properly, 25 miles ought to be enough to get the battery substantially charged.

That said, you could probably also achieve this state by connecting up something that took 40+ amps all the time the car was running, and then even a good alternator wouldn't be able to keep up, but you might be able to find that on on dark nights by looking for the dull red glow-y thing under the bonnet. And it would need an almost heroic level of bad practice with the work on the starter to get there without having any idea that something was wrong. 

I put a multimeter on the battery just and it read 12.50 engine off and 12.30 engine on

With the engine running (that is what you mean, isn't it?) and no big loads running, the battery voltage should go up (slightly) and yours goes down. At that condition, the battery isn't getting as much charge as it should. Maybe it gets a more reasonable level of charge once the alternator is doing a few thousand rpm, maybe it doesn't. But then, who cares, provided that you fix the right fault?

If you don't feel happy with the advice that you've been given, just take it to a garage and pay them to fix it. That way, you'll have someone to complain at, if it goes wrong.

#19 nach

nach

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: navin
  • Ford Model: mendeo titanium ecoboost 2l
  • Year: 2012

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

i have ford mondeo titanium 2l ecoboost 2012 model which wouldn't start now and again it has happend seven times in just over a year now battery goes so flat that can't even unlock the door with remote.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, non starter, electrical, drain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users