Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Declaring Mods

Hyrule

Just about to fire off a letter to my insurers about my mods later this week. Draft below, this should be sufficient. What do you guys think? (note additional reverse is next mod to be done this week)

Dear Sir/Madam
As per the terms and conditions of my car insurance agreement I am writing to inform you of the following modifications I have made to my vehicle on policy no: xxx. The sensors and the additional reverse light are safety features and the rest are all cosmetic/assistance changes which do not affect the performance of the car.

Safety Features:
  • Reverse Parking Sensors
  • Additional Reverse Light
Cosmetic/Assistance Features:
  • Rear Privacy Glass 
  • Genuine 2011 Ford Focus Boot badge
  • Genuine Ford Mist Type Washer Jets
  • Genuine Ford LHD Clear Rear Fog Unit
  • Aluminium Pedal Covers
  • Additional Boot Light
  • Chrome Fuel Cap Cover
  • LED Illuminating Ignition Ring
  • Custom AC/Heater Controls
  • LED Bulbs for Front & Rear Interior lights
  • LED Bulbs for Glove box & Boot lights
  • Like 1

Sounds like you really have covered everything there! At least you will have total peace of mind :)

Which company are you insured with?

• Like 1

Hehe thanks, I'm with Esure, I know they charge an admin fee for changes to policy as they tried to charge me twice before:

Once for spelling my name incorrectly and secondly for changing the direct debit date. Both of those I got waived.

So my thinking is if I list a whole load in one go, should only be one charge for updating the policy. :rolleyes: here's hoping.

Good thinking. There's no way they can charge you more than one admin fee that way.

• Like 1

Hit the nail on the head there fella! The problem is even "safety" features are deemed modifications, so the sensors by default will not be insured, unless you ask them to insure that part. The second reverse light will be deemed "sport lighting" as too will your LED Bulb upgrades.

The likes of privacy glass etc as you say are cosmetic changes.

Unfortunately though, you will have to pay an admin fee for them to make this change to the policy, but if you want them to replace it if you get damaged, you have to ask specifically, this adds more cost to the policy.

Also, give them a call and tell them the modifications and advise a letter is on its way. That way, if you get rear ended in the next few days before the get the letter, they cant argue that you havent told them.

• Like 2

Hit the nail on the head there fella! The problem is even "safety" features are deemed modifications, so the sensors by default will not be insured, unless you ask them to insure that part. The second reverse light will be deemed "sport lighting" as too will your LED Bulb upgrades.

The likes of privacy glass etc as you say are cosmetic changes.

Unfortunately though, you will have to pay an admin fee for them to make this change to the policy, but if you want them to replace it if you get damaged, you have to ask specifically, this adds more cost to the policy.

Also, give them a call and tell them the modifications and advise a letter is on its way. That way, if you get rear ended in the next few days before the get the letter, they cant argue that you havent told them.

Yeah good idea thanks James

Let us know how much they bump your premium which they are bound to do.

• Like 1

If the (external) LEDs are not BS stamped (and within a specific colour temprature) they may not actually be road legal,

Also, the "privacy glass" (or gel/ lint) is liable to bump your insurance up - some companies do not even entertain this/ will not insure if this is done (apparently)

Once you get a reply ant it turns out to be extortionate, ask them for a breakdown of individual items, as some "modifications" may not increase or actually recuce the figure (eg, genuine safety features) - then you can reverse the expensive-to-insure modifications whilst keeping the others,

For example if they want ££££££££s for the tints, you could replace them with removable shades (look just like tints, but are not)

and some lighting modifications may change the premium, others may not, some they may not allow at all (eg illegal bulbs as above)

Of course, it can differ between brokers

it will be interesting to see what happens

• Like 1

Yeah will update you guys once I get a response. Letter is in the post ;)

Going to change insurers next year to a more mod friendly one such as Aflux, esure was the cheapest at the time and had no plans to modify until I came across this forum :D

• Like 1

Sometimes when shopping around, the best price is to not declare the mods when quoting, then phoning them to ask for a price with mods. A lot of comparison sites will not give you quotes with mods, or be much more expensive than speaking to someone and amending the quote manually. It can be worth comparing with and without though.

You also need to find out (or decide if you want it), if the mods are actually covered in the event of a repair/write-off. My insurers did not charge for me to declare the modifications, but they are not covered (doesn't bother me). It means they won't refuse to pay out, but if a part needs replacing it will just be put back to stock.

• Like 1

Agree with Alex, I tend to do a "clean" Car with no mods to get a base price, then call the insurer and ask what they would charge for these mods. In the end, if they are cheaper than whoever I am with at the time, I just go for them, or if they are not cheaper, I phone my insurer and tell them they are cheaper, and shave more off the price :p

• Like 1

Ok so just an update guys, I got a letter this morning saying please call Esure customer service department. I was thinking oh god here we go. I could imagine them saying you can't have this, you can't have that.lol.

To my surprise, the gentlemen went away for about 2mins to discuss with supervisor. Total increase in policy £26. So my yearly policy now costs £526 up from £500.

I almost fell off my chair.

He actually didn't know what to class the custom AC/heater controls as, so put it down as an air con upgrade. LOLOL

So im pleasantly surprised, im pretty sure most of that £26 was an admin charge for updating the policy, but hey its a small price to pay versus the cost of the mods.

One thing I can definitely recommend is submit as many modifications in one go, to avoid multiple admin charges, and it confuses them as if they have no idea what the mod is, its seems they don't bother charging you extra lol. Though may not be the same for all insurers.

Nice start to the weekend :D

• Like 1

nice suprize there then fella not suprized that you almost fell of the chair lol

• Like 1

Ok so just an update guys, I got a letter this morning saying please call Esure customer service department. I was thinking oh god here we go. I could imagine them saying you can't have this, you can't have that.lol.

To my surprise, the gentlemen went away for about 2mins to discuss with supervisor. Total increase in policy £26. So my yearly policy now costs £526 up from £500.

I almost fell off my chair.

He actually didn't know what to class the custom AC/heater controls as, so put it down as an air con upgrade. LOLOL

So im pleasantly surprised, im pretty sure most of that £26 was an admin charge for updating the policy, but hey its a small price to pay versus the cost of the mods.

One thing I can definitely recommend is submit as many modifications in one go, to avoid multiple admin charges, and it confuses them as if they have no idea what the mod is, its seems they don't bother charging you extra lol. Though may not be the same for all insurers.

Nice start to the weekend :D

Result! i wonder if the safety features like the reverse parking sensors >reduced< your premium and it cancelled some of the increases out?

I suppose it depends what you call the mods too

• Like 1

Back of the net! £26 is an epic cost just for an admin charge, but I really dont know what you can class those dials as. I think it would have to be miscellaneous :P

• Like 1