Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta, Underpowered?

Tynesider

Two weeks ago I bought a new Fiesta 1.25 82 Zetec petrol,toreplace my old Mazda3 1.6.

I don't know if it's just me coming down from a 1.6, but I find that it's not nippy like I thought it would be and when going up a hill I am having to come right down the gears to sometimes 2nd, if I don't go down the gears even with the accelerator to the floor it doesnt pick up, so the only way to get more speed is to go to a lower gear.

I tried it on the motorway and was travelling at 70mph with no problems but then when I tried to overtake an old micra who was also travelling at about 70mph I came alongside to overtake but even with my foot to the floor the accelleration was so slow and I eventually had to slip behind him again. I would have overtaken eventually but I'm a bit concerned that my car is a bit under powered.

I know it needs running in, but has anyone else had problems with this car being underpowered?

Can't speak from personal experience but I was under the impression that the 1.25 was a good little engine. I'm sure it's not the quickest in the world but you would think that 82ps would be a reasonable amount of power in a fiesta?

It might be that I have only done about 150 miles so far and that the engine needs to be run in. When I first got it my mpg was only 30,but in the last two weeks its gone up to 35.5mpg and thats with short journeys back and forth to work. I'm hoping that the engine will pick up with a few more miles on the clock but at the moment its slow on acceleration. I've had Fiesta Zetecs in the past and the engines were far more responsive but as I said this is a new car and only time will tell if it gets better.

I had the 1.25 (an 11 Reg), and I also went down from the ZetecS, and I found the same as you. It's ok once up to speed, and goes along very nicely, but going up a steep hill was embarassing at times !! I would avoid them if I possibly could. I also found that putting your foot hard down did no good. When I was going up a long, steadily climbing hill, then I found that if I eased my foot up a wee bit, it picked up speed (strangely enough !), but nothing but going down gears helps on a steep hill i'm afraid.

Anyway, I was very nervous at the thought of a 1.0 litre Fiesta after my 1.25 experience, but I have to say, the new engine is FAR superior, and I love it. Might be a plan to hold on to your 1.25 for a year or so and then change to the new EcoBoost engine. I just love driving it and hills aren't an issue now !!

Good luck with it, and i'm sure that once you are more used to your car you will like it a bit better. :)

• Like 1

I know mine is not a petrol engine but i have found the same as JackieR, i have found it ok on the motorway and it seams to go very well but we went to Chedar and some of the hills there i thought i was going to have to get out and push it!, on mine it seams like the gears first and second could do with being a different ratio as first gear the change up light comes on very quick. As i drive always changing when the indicater comes up i think that maybe if i got a bit more rpm`s before changing up it may be better on hills but i dont want to try really.

I have the same problem 1.2 engine 59 plate up hills might as well walk :( its slow as, from 0-30 its alright 30-70 its useless then 70+ goes like the clappers very quick responding when at speed, had the car 2 years and dont like the engine at all, wish i got a bigger size one but hey live and learn.

I had that a 13 plate 1.25 as a courtesy car for a day. Massive difference in power compared to my 1.0 ecboost zs. Struggled like anything to pick up speed on the motorway. It had done just over 1k . Mpg figures were crap like low 30s but probably as its a courtesy car people floor it and dont drive eco at all

My mate drove his girlfriends car the other week ( same as yours ) and basically described its performance or lack of it almost word for word to your post. Seems that's just how they are...... He then borrowed my 1.6tdci to go to work one day, and although its only got 8 more horsepower he said it was a totally different car, he was very pleased with the way it got down the road, and also commented on its overtaking capabilities. So much so, that he is now looking into buying one lol.

I had a car loaned to me when ours was in and it was a 1.25 petrol and it was a lot worse than ours, one of the hills on the way home i had to change down to third gear to get up it, on ours i have to go down to fourth gear unless i get a bit of speed up before going up the hill.

My wife's car is the 1.25 , and i find that 3rd gear is really flat , i think it's just the characteristic's of the engine and theres not alot you can do to boost it.

Never had those problems (1.25 owner since 2009), it feels quicker than most of its rivals (!#=?! Corsa 1.2 and 1.4, Swift, etc.)...... of course when I change from 170 bhp Giulietta this feels slow as *"!#, but all in all it is a decent little car.......

Oh, I recently installed a Pipercross HFIC, makes a nice difference to the throttle response.......

I'm not surprised.

The mark 1 Ka has better power to weight ratio to Fiesta 1.25 82bhp.

Ideally one should spec a Fiesta with 1.4 99bhp or 1.0 100ps as a minimum.

I have test driven 1.25 82bhp myself and found it gutless in comparison to the mark 1 Ka I own.

Subsequently I drove the 1.0 100ps and liked it and thought power was sufficient.

I'm opting for the 125ps/123bhp as I just want a little more power.

In pne respect I'm glad I'm not the only one who has or has had this problem, on the other hand I was hoping I was the only one so that I could take it back and get it seen to. There is one hill around where I live and its 30mph up and down and the police are often there with speed guns. I was in 2nd gear by the time I got to the top with cars up my backside wanting me to speed up. I find the accelerator too soft and too easy to push to the floor there seems to be little resistance in it.

Anyway thanks everyone for being so honest, I will just have to wait a few years to change it!

What made you chose the 1.25 instead of the nippy 1.0 turbos?

OP may have the same concern as me, durability as youd except the 1.25 82bhp to be kicking around longer than 1.0 80ps.

Likewise the 1.4 99bhp against 1.0 100ps and 1.6 118bhp against 1.0 125ps.

I admit after reading people's comments im now warming to the 1.0 engine :-)

I have the ZS ecoboost 125 and it's the future lol. On a par and in theory better MPG than the 1.25, faster and more powerful with torque to match the diesel. Free road tax and I'm paying £19 per month for insurance with RAC, 5 years protected ncb, legal cover and lost key cover. £250 vol excess. Happy days!

• Like 2

Cost was mainly the reason and because sites like What car etc gave the Zetec a good review. I've also had an older Fiesta Zetec 12.5's before and had no issues.

I think I have bought a bad car and I'll be stuck with it for at least 3 years, we wanted the car for our holidays in the lake district but cannot see it getting up the hills there especially with bikes on the back.

I've got it booked in with Fords service next week so they can check it out but I don't think I will get anywhere with it by reading what other members have said :-(

It seems then, unfortunately, you made the wrong choice of engine as even with the 100ps ecoboost engine the car never feels underpowered and will give 55-58mpg cruising at 70-80mph

OP may have the same concern as me, durability as youd except the 1.25 82bhp to be kicking around longer than 1.0 80ps.

Hi, the 1.0 80ps is not really a good choice unless you are only restricted to town driving only. I find our 100ps version very good and extremely refined on the motorway and completely unstressed.

I'm guessing the 60ps version must be really sluggish if people are complaining about the 80ps version?

It might still be a case of the engine needing more miles on it. All the new cars Ive bought have felt sluggish from 0 miles. Dont be afraid to give it some stick once warmed up as it will run in better and faster, leading to a bit more power and economy than a long granny-driving run in period. The days where engines needed this are gone.

Lots of evidence on the internet to back this up from top engine builders, when being run in, engines need full throttle action throughout the entire rev range, best place is up motorway slip roads, holding fourth gear on the motorway for as long as possible and then slowing the car down using the engine before building up speed again at full throttle medium to high revs.

If that doesn't free it up a bit and make it more agreeable to drive, then you unfortunately bought the wrong engine.

I hope you get some satisfaction from putting it in to be looked at, but in all honesty, I think you'll find that that's just the engine i'm afraid.

On the upside .... you have had a fair few good recommendations on the 1.0 Ecoboost for when/if you change ! I Love mine I must confess. It's like night and day to the 1.25, which is a pity, coz it was a lovely Panther Black one and it looked really good.

Good luck with the garage tho. :)

• Like 1

I had the 1.25 (an 11 Reg), and I also went down from the ZetecS, and I found the same as you. It's ok once up to speed, and goes along very nicely, but going up a steep hill was embarassing at times !! I would avoid them if I possibly could. I also found that putting your foot hard down did no good. When I was going up a long, steadily climbing hill, then I found that if I eased my foot up a wee bit, it picked up speed (strangely enough !), but nothing but going down gears helps on a steep hill i'm afraid.

Anyway, I was very nervous at the thought of a 1.0 litre Fiesta after my 1.25 experience, but I have to say, the new engine is FAR superior, and I love it. Might be a plan to hold on to your 1.25 for a year or so and then change to the new EcoBoost engine. I just love driving it and hills aren't an issue now !!

Good luck with it, and i'm sure that once you are more used to your car you will like it a bit better. :)

I really like the car when not going up hill and my wife thinks its great,so with a bit of luck in a few months I might tempt her to take it and I can get myself something better.....I will start on convincing her from today lol

• Like 1

I'll give it a good run out this weekend and it's being looked at by Ford service next Thursday so fingers crossed they will find something wrong.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club