Tynesider

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: Eric
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.25 Zetec
  • Year: 2013

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

Two weeks ago I bought a new Fiesta 1.25 82 Zetec petrol,toreplace my old Mazda3 1.6.

I don't know if it's just me coming down from a 1.6, but I find that it's not nippy like I thought it would be and when going up a hill I am having to come right down the gears to sometimes 2nd, if I don't go down the gears even with the accelerator to the floor it doesnt pick up, so the only way to get more speed is to go to a lower gear.

I tried it on the motorway and was travelling at 70mph with no problems but then when I tried to overtake an old micra who was also travelling at about 70mph I came alongside to overtake but even with my foot to the floor the accelleration was so slow and I eventually had to slip behind him again. I would have overtaken eventually but I'm a bit concerned that my car is a bit under powered.

I know it needs running in, but has anyone else had problems with this car being underpowered?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jamesm182

jamesm182

Management

• Admin
  • 1,396 posts
  • Name: James
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Can't speak from personal experience but I was under the impression that the 1.25 was a good little engine. I'm sure it's not the quickest in the world but you would think that 82ps would be a reasonable amount of power in a fiesta?

#3 Tynesider

Tynesider

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

It might be that I have only done about 150 miles so far and that the engine needs to be run in. When I first got it my mpg was only 30,but in the last two weeks its gone up to 35.5mpg and thats with short journeys back and forth to work. I'm hoping that the engine will pick up with a few more miles on the clock but at the moment its slow on acceleration. I've had Fiesta Zetecs in the past and the engines were far more responsive but as I said this is a new car and only time will tell if it gets better.

#4 JackieR

JackieR

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Name: Jackie
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.00T Ecoboost Candy Blue

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

I had the 1.25 (an 11 Reg), and I also went down from the ZetecS, and I found the same as you.  It's ok once up to speed, and goes along very nicely, but going up a steep hill was embarassing at times !!  I would avoid them if I possibly could.  I also found that putting your foot hard down did no good.  When I was going up a long, steadily climbing hill, then I found that if I eased my foot up a wee bit, it picked up speed (strangely enough !), but nothing but going down gears helps on a steep hill i'm afraid.    

Anyway, I was very nervous at the thought of a 1.0 litre Fiesta after my 1.25 experience, but I have to say, the new engine is FAR superior, and I love it.   Might be a plan to hold on to your 1.25 for a year or so and then change to the new EcoBoost engine.  I just love driving it and hills aren't an issue now !!

Good luck with it, and i'm sure that once you are more used to your car you will like it a bit better.  :)

#5 bootsy

bootsy

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Zetec 1.5 Td Econetic

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

I know mine is not a petrol engine but i have found the same as JackieR, i have found it ok on the motorway and it seams to go very well but we went to Chedar and some of the hills there i thought i was going to have to get out and push it!, on mine it seams like the gears first and second could do with being a different ratio as first gear the change up light comes on very quick. As i drive always changing when the indicater comes up i think that maybe if i got a bit more rpm`s before changing up it may be better on hills but i dont want to try really.

#6 D13 HPD 95

D13 HPD 95

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,678 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7 1.25
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

I have the same problem 1.2 engine 59 plate up hills might as well walk :( its slow as, from 0-30 its alright 30-70 its useless then 70+ goes like the clappers very quick responding when at speed, had the car 2 years and dont like the engine at all, wish i got a bigger size one but hey live and learn.

#7 Clarky2013

Clarky2013

Addicted to boost

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3 MP215 Spirit Blue
  • Year: 2014

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

I had that a 13 plate 1.25 as a courtesy car for a day. Massive difference in power compared to my 1.0 ecboost zs. Struggled like anything to pick up speed on the motorway. It had done just over 1k . Mpg figures were crap like low 30s but probably as its a courtesy car people floor it and dont drive eco at all

#8 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

My mate drove his girlfriends car the other week ( same as yours ) and basically described its performance or lack of it almost word for word to your post. Seems that's just how they are...... He then borrowed my 1.6tdci to go to work one day, and although its only got 8 more horsepower he said it was a totally different car, he was very pleased with the way it got down the road, and also commented on its overtaking capabilities. So much so, that he is now looking into buying one lol.

#9 bootsy

bootsy

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Zetec 1.5 Td Econetic

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

I had a car loaned to me when ours was in and it was a 1.25 petrol and it was a lot worse than ours, one of the hills on the way home i had to change down to third gear to get up it, on ours i have to go down to fourth gear unless i get a bit of speed up before going up the hill.

#10 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

My wife's car is the 1.25  , and i find that 3rd gear is really flat , i think it's just the characteristic's of the engine and theres not alot you can do to boost it.

#11 blade

blade

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Name: Robert
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7
  • Year: 2009

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Never had those problems (1.25 owner since 2009), it feels quicker than most of its rivals (!#=?! Corsa 1.2 and 1.4, Swift, etc.)...... of course when I change from 170 bhp Giulietta this feels slow as *"!#, but all in all it is a decent little car.......

Oh, I recently installed a Pipercross HFIC, makes a nice difference to the throttle response.......

#12 Mirage

Mirage

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Ford Model: Ka
Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'm not surprised.
The mark 1 Ka has better power to weight ratio to Fiesta 1.25 82bhp.
Ideally one should spec a Fiesta with 1.4 99bhp or 1.0 100ps as a minimum.

I have test driven 1.25 82bhp myself and found it gutless in comparison to the mark 1 Ka I own.
Subsequently I drove the 1.0 100ps and liked it and thought power was sufficient.
I'm opting for the 125ps/123bhp as I just want a little more power.

#13 Tynesider

Tynesider

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

In pne respect I'm glad I'm not the only one who has or has had this problem, on the other hand I was hoping I was the only one so that I could take it back and get it seen to. There is one hill around where I live and its 30mph up and down and the police are often there with speed guns. I was in 2nd gear by the time I got to the top with cars up my backside wanting me to speed up. I find the accelerator too soft and too easy to push to the floor there seems to be little resistance in it.

Anyway thanks everyone for being so honest, I will just have to wait a few years to change it!

#14 Willy

Willy

Mountune'd 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (Midnight Sky)

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,749 posts
  • Name: Willy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium MP135
Contributor

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

What made you chose the 1.25 instead of the nippy 1.0 turbos?

#15 Mirage

Mirage

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Ford Model: Ka
Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

What made you chose the 1.25 instead of the nippy 1.0 turbos?

OP may have the same concern as me, durability as youd except the 1.25 82bhp to be kicking around longer than 1.0 80ps.
Likewise the 1.4 99bhp against 1.0 100ps and 1.6 118bhp against 1.0 125ps.

I admit after reading people's comments im now warming to the 1.0 engine :-)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users