The member the forum deserves but not the one it needs right now

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2014

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

I have the ZS ecoboost 125 and it's the future lol. On a par and in theory better MPG than the 1.25, faster and more powerful with torque to match the diesel. Free road tax and I'm paying £19 per month for insurance with RAC, 5 years protected ncb, legal cover and lost key cover. £250 vol excess. Happy days!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Tynesider

Tynesider

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: Eric
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.25 Zetec
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

What made you chose the 1.25 instead of the nippy 1.0 turbos?

Cost was mainly the reason and because sites like What car etc gave the Zetec a good review. I've also had an older Fiesta Zetec 12.5's before and had no issues.

#18 Tynesider

Tynesider

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

I think I have bought a bad car and I'll be stuck with it for at least 3 years, we wanted the car for our holidays in the lake district but cannot see it getting up the hills there especially with bikes on the back.

I've got it booked in with Fords Service next week so they can check it out but I don't think I will get anywhere with it by reading what other members have said :-(

#19 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

It seems then, unfortunately, you made the wrong choice of engine as even with the 100ps ecoboost engine the car never feels underpowered and will give 55-58mpg cruising at 70-80mph

#20 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

OP may have the same concern as me, durability as youd except the 1.25 82bhp to be kicking around longer than 1.0 80ps.
Likewise the 1.4 99bhp against 1.0 100ps and 1.6 118bhp against 1.0 125ps.

I admit after reading people's comments im now warming to the 1.0 engine :-)

Hi, the 1.0 80ps is not really a good choice unless you are only restricted to town driving only. I find our 100ps version very good and extremely refined on the motorway and completely unstressed.

#21 jamesm182

jamesm182

Management

• Admin
  • 1,298 posts
  • Name: James
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

I'm guessing the 60ps version must be really sluggish if people are complaining about the 80ps version?

#22 GlynnZS

GlynnZS

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Name: Glynn
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S ecoboost

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

It might still be a case of the engine needing more miles on it.  All the new cars Ive bought have felt sluggish from 0 miles.  Dont be afraid to give it some stick once warmed up as it will run in better and faster, leading to a bit more power and economy than a long granny-driving run in period.  The days where engines needed this are gone.

Lots of evidence on the internet to back this up from top engine builders, when being run in, engines need full throttle action throughout the entire rev range, best place is up motorway slip roads, holding fourth gear on the motorway for as long as possible and then slowing the car down using the engine before building up speed again at full throttle medium to high revs.

If that doesn't free it up a bit and make it more agreeable to drive, then you unfortunately bought the wrong engine.

#23 JackieR

JackieR

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name: Jackie
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.00T Ecoboost Candy Blue

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

I hope you get some satisfaction from putting it in to be looked at, but in all honesty, I think you'll find that that's just the engine i'm afraid.  

On the upside .... you have had a fair few good recommendations on the 1.0 Ecoboost for when/if you change !   I Love mine I must confess.  It's like night and day to the 1.25, which is a pity, coz it was a lovely Panther Black one and it looked really good.  

Good luck with the garage tho.   :)

#24 Tynesider

Tynesider

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

I had the 1.25 (an 11 Reg), and I also went down from the ZetecS, and I found the same as you.  It's ok once up to speed, and goes along very nicely, but going up a steep hill was embarassing at times !!  I would avoid them if I possibly could.  I also found that putting your foot hard down did no good.  When I was going up a long, steadily climbing hill, then I found that if I eased my foot up a wee bit, it picked up speed (strangely enough !), but nothing but going down gears helps on a steep hill i'm afraid.    

Anyway, I was very nervous at the thought of a 1.0 litre Fiesta after my 1.25 experience, but I have to say, the new engine is FAR superior, and I love it.   Might be a plan to hold on to your 1.25 for a year or so and then change to the new EcoBoost engine.  I just love driving it and hills aren't an issue now !!

Good luck with it, and i'm sure that once you are more used to your car you will like it a bit better.  :)

I really like the car when not going up hill and my wife thinks its great,so with a bit of luck in a few months I might tempt her to take it and I can get myself something better.....I will start on convincing her from today lol

#25 Tynesider

Tynesider

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

OP may have the same concern as me, durability as youd except the 1.25 82bhp to be kicking around longer than 1.0 80ps.
Likewise the 1.4 99bhp against 1.0 100ps and 1.6 118bhp against 1.0 125ps.

I admit after reading people's comments im now warming to the 1.0 engine :-)

I'll give it a good run out this weekend and it's being looked at by Ford Service next Thursday so fingers crossed they will find something wrong.

#26 Willy

Willy

Mountune'd 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (Midnight Sky)

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,310 posts
  • Name: Willy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium EcoBoost 125
Contributor

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

Your Fiesta is still a great car so don't pooh pooh it just because it doesn't like hills.
The mother in law has the same car as you and that's what convinced me to trade the Focus ST. The only reason I didn't get a 1.25 was I wanted it to be something just that more powerful so I didn't miss the sound of the 2.5 ltr volvo engine in the ST.

#27 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Looking at the tested dyno printout from superchips -

http://www.mybluefin...estaMk61.25.pdf

The 1.25 engine has a fkat spot between (approx) 4.3k and 5k, (stock/ black line)

there are 3 "stages"

The power rises nicely between 1.5k to 4.3k (where it makes approx 60Hp) then it "levels out" and the power does not increase untill about 5k/ and the torque takes a dive at these revs too (making the area between 4.3k and 5k "dead"/ the engine will not "pull")

Above 5k (5 to 6k) the power "recovers" / it makes good power again

the lighter load in the lower gears (1st and 2nd) you will (probably) not notice the dead spot between 4.3&5k, and the engine will (probably) rev to the redline at 6k, as the load increases (in higher gears, uphill, heavily laden etc ) the dead spot at 4.3k will start to become more noticable/ more of a problem, it will correspond to specific speeds depending what gear you are in

so effectively, you have a 60hp engine that revs to 4.3k (when the engine is under load)

I can only speculate why its like that -, as it is based on an older design, its probably being "strangled" by emission controls, that were "stuck on" as an "afterthought" to "ressurect" the old engine to get a bit more sales out of it before its completely replaced by the ecoboost

the 105Nm is about 77ft-lbs of torque, a bit less than you would expect from a sports motorcycle (that weighs a fraction of the weight of the Fiesta)

So its really only suitable as a city/ town car - weight makes a big difference, if you are a 7- stone woman, with no luggage etc, it probably "zips" along, 2 larger, heavier people may be 3x that weight or more - and it would make a big difference with this engine - load it up, 4-up with luggage etc - its going to be really struggling

So in my opinion its only really suitable as a city car/ not for heavy loads/ touring. You have my sympathy, but i feel you should have done your homework when making such an important purchase and chosen a more suitable car/ engine for you / your purposes - the 1.0L 125ps ecoboost has about TWICE the torque (200Nm vs 105 - a huge difference) of the 1.25 and smooth,progressive power/ torque curves

#28 JackieR

JackieR

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name: Jackie
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.00T Ecoboost Candy Blue

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

I really like the car when not going up hill and my wife thinks its great,so with a bit of luck in a few months I might tempt her to take it and I can get myself something better.....I will start on convincing her from today lol

That's a really good idea .... you know what us women are like ...  try and get her to think it's HER idea that you get something else, and that's bound to work !!   We like when WE come up with a great idea !!!!    LOL ;)

#29 Tynesider

Tynesider

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Your Fiesta is still a great car so don't pooh pooh it just because it doesn't like hills.
The mother in law has the same car as you and that's what convinced me to trade the Focus ST. The only reason I didn't get a 1.25 was I wanted it to be something just that more powerful so I didn't miss the sound of the 2.5 ltr volvo engine in the ST.

The reason I'm " pooh poohing " the car is because I go to the lake district about four times a year and there are steep hills there and we explained this to the salesman. We will have two pushbikes attached to a towbar on the car.

#30 bootsy

bootsy

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Zetec 1.5 Td Econetic

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

With our car if when i am coming up to a hill I ignore the change up indicater and just go by the sound of the engine like i use to it goes up hills much better, this was true on the 1.25 that was a loan car for a day. As long as you dont go to far with the revs. It may sound like a silly thing to say and even harder to do if you are like me and stick to the change up arrow.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users