Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiring Harness On Melted

whitelightning

I wonder if any one might know a good place to start with a little issue on my focus. Was warming it up this morning no lights just radio and fans and heated front screen!!, next thing car full of smoke, opened bonnet to find main wiring harness to pozi battery terminal melting and bubbling!!! Turned off and and all electrics gone-fried- "He's dead Jim"

Do I even bother starting to diagnose......? heated screen was probably the catalyst...?

Cheers in advance

focus '99 1.8 zetec petrol :o

Ouch, I think at this point you may be better surrendering her to the scrapyard in the sky! I think if the harness is gone, thats a couple of hundred quid to replace, and a lot of effort, then you have to hope that it doesnt happen again? then you have to further troubleshoot individual parts.

Unfortunately, I think its more cost effective to wave her off, unless your willing to rip parts from scrappies for pennies?

c'set la vie! However I may have eliminated the culprit....sub power lead a bit melty, 10a in line fuse didnt go which started the emulsification in the other lead on harness. Took sub out of equation, battery sparked and she fired into life! Off to garage to while its running to see if how deep this may run.........keep you posted

Upon searching through this forum.... I might just pull the entire wire for the sub/amp, while looking for any cuts and grounding that may have caused my little woe....... and lay a new one!

Questions if I may,

1,Should the sub/amp be on its own connector on the battery terminal?, i just had a ring connnector on top of the other connectors held on by the 10mm bolt,

2, The Earth cable for sub/amp I just had screwed to the metal work in side the boot area, should that earth really be run all the way from the battery?

I want me focus flamin for the right reasons, and not my because of my wiring.......

I think it needs to be in wired and with an inline fuse, but perhaps 10 amps is insufficient.

I was always under the impression that amps are wired entirely seperately, directly to the terminals for the power source though?

Cool cheers. Amp/sub is one pre wired unit so only needs one power lead Will pop down to road radio, was just thinking that maybe the connectors shouldnt meet on the terminal, motor home batteries have a little bank of 10mm's on a plate round the +terminal I was just thinking more along those lines....

You should be able to attach it even to the clasp that holds onto the terminal (where you tighten the 8mm bolt)

Cool cheers. Amp/sub is one pre wired unit so only needs one power lead Will pop down to road radio, was just thinking that maybe the connectors shouldnt meet on the terminal, motor home batteries have a little bank of 10mm's on a plate round the +terminal I was just thinking more along those lines....

clamping onto other connectors is fine providing that the clamp on the battery terminal can be sufficiently tightened and the cable are secure

depending on the size of the power cable determines the rating of the fuse, normally the inline fuses of these "prefab" wiring harnesses usually supplied with the sub (Which i don't trust) are very thin cable and the fuse carriers are likely to fail or corrode, i would suggest running a power cable rated above the current draw of the amp and then add in an waterproof enclosed 30A fuse (no less)

that way if the cable does start to draw more current then it will at least be able to carry it or at least get a little warm, with the regards to the earth, in theory any part of the body of the car is suitable to use as a return path to the battery however it is advisable to check the condition of the earths in the engine bay including the -ve cable to the battery,

many people choose to upgrade there earthing system using the big 3 method (Google) this ensures that any audio don't affect the engine/car wiring

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NIce thanks. More manley cable fitted with 30a fuse and re routed so as to eliminate any trapped wires, car seems ok now with only a few electrical gremlins.....still got my tunes thou!!