• FOC Supporters
  • 2,408 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

Wont work dude.. The blockage is before the water reaches the jets

The chances of both front jets as well as the rear all being blocked at the same time is nill

So we've established the blockage is before the jets, prime suspect being the filter on the washer bottle

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Oliverb

Oliverb

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Name: Ollie
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

Wont work dude.. The blockage is before the water reaches the jets

The chances of both front jets as well as the rear all being blocked at the same time is nill

So we've established the blockage is before the jets, prime suspect being the filter on the washer bottle

Ah got ya ! Hmmm

#18 Focus-Jonny

Focus-Jonny

Heresss Jonny!!!!!

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Name: Jonathan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec S 1.6 Ti-vct
  • Year: 2010

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

From what your saying mate due to the rear wash not working it sounds like the problem will either be:
-pump on its way out (does it sound normal?)
-blocked supply to the pump (water bottle clogged or filter gromet blocked)
-pump no longer getting full voltage from control module

Front and back washers use there own seperate supply feeds from two different sides of the motor!

If its cold maybe both feeds have became partially blocked due to
Ice, but you would know that by now!

#19 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,408 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

Update on this

I tried various methods on fixing this knowing it would either be that the filter is clogged or the pump itself has had it

First I tried shooting a jetwash down the washer bottle in short sharp bursts to dislodge any gunk, this didn't work

Next I removed the driverside wheel, removed the wheel arch liner and completely removed the washer bottle. Disconnected the pump and removed the filter, it was clogged up to hell with really thick sludge

Washed the filter out and also looked in the bottle itself, again this was clogged up to hell I flushed it out the best I could

At this point I thought it must be problem solved as for how much gunk was clogging it all up I thought it must be the cause so I refitted the washer bottle, reconnected the pump n filter n finally refitted the wheel arch liner n wheel.

I now put some screen wash back in the bottle and tested the jets. Horror of horrors, there was no change at all and the spray was barely reaching the bottom of the screen.

At this point I knew it must be the pump that had had it so onto ebay it was and a new pump was ordered for a reasonable 15pounds

Had a break in the rain yesterday so I set about fitting the new pump

Decided to make it harder for myself by not removing the wheel n liner n instead pealing back the liner just enough to get my arm in

I pulled the pump out of the washer bottle and sat while the car did a rather long wee as the screen wash drained out

Next I had to pull the tubes off and unplug the electrical connector. This is extremely hard to do if you have big hands as theres no room for maneuver at all. At one point I nearly called the Missus out to do it for me as she has tiny hands.

I stupidly tried the gentle approach as I didnt wanna pull too hard and do any more damage. It took about half an hour before I pulled one tube off as it was on really tight and even longer before the second was off.

It was about another hour of the gentle approach before I just lost my temper and yanked the pump from the tube and then yanked the pump from the electrical connector.

Angrily threw the old pump across the garden for the faff it caused. It was made more difficult by the pump n tubes being soaked in the screenwash when it drained away so I couldn't get a good grip on anything.

Finally come the job of connecting the new pump. The electrical connection plugged straight on easy, as did one of the tubes slid on rather easy, but the last tube was a right faff trying to slide it on the pump, especially hard trying to do it all blind and by feel alone.

Managed to chew my wrist up a little in the process of it all

2013-11-03212145.jpg

When I finally had the new pump all connected up I was elated with joy

I then put some screenwash in the bottle and tested it. At this point I nearly exploded with rage as now nothing at all would come out of the jets and I was worried I'd pulled another connection or tube loose when yanking the old pump out

But then I clocked the warning message saying that the washer fluid was low. I thought I'd already put plenty in to test it but I put even more in n tested it again

To my joy my washer jets are now working perfectly again and spraying pretty much right to the top of the windscreen again

So yeah in the end it turned out it was the pump that was at fault. But there was no noticeable difference in noise of the old one n it sounded like it was working as normal.

I'm thinking the amount of sludge n gunk in the bottle n filter was causing the pump to work harder to try n pump the fluid round which in turn must of burnt out the pump

Quite a lengthy post but I thought I'd update my findings

#20 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

well done mate for sorting it out.

sometimes its better to get better access and remove everything. i've tried to cheat and only ended up with cut hands and eventually had to remove wheels/bumpers etc to do the job.

#21 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,408 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

Was gonna remove the wheel again but i dont have access to a decent trolley jack here n i dont trust the ford jack that came with the car.

Also had to do it on grass n i didnt even have a board to put down under the jack

As it was stupidly windy i just had visions of the car slipping off the jack

#22 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,501 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

glad you got it sorted Charlie, and I missed this thread altogether lol, my thought was yes the pump was on its way out, but as you are well aware of that now I dont think you need me to tell you :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users