Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remote Key Fob Not Working?

ian610

Hi,

Recently purchased a 1.4 Fiesta Flame MK6 and the key fob with the three buttons doesn't remotely lock/unlock the doors or boot, but can still manually lock/unlock the doors and start the car with the key.

I've changed the battery, but it still doesn't work.

Looking through past invoices, it seems the previous owner took it to a Ford dealer for the above reason.

Work carried out - 'Program Remote Key. Checked battery fitted ok. Tried to reprogram key but would not work. Internal fault in Transmitter'

Do I need a completely new fob?

I've looked on eBay and you can buy new key fobs for about £25, but would obviously need to be programmed etc.

I could also separate the key end from the fubar remote control so I wouldn't need a new key cut.

I've also been reading the owners manual about how new keys can be programmed in the ignition.

Is this a good idea, could I do this myself? Rather not have to pay £150 odd at a dealer.

I have two keys (the remote key and a normal key)

Any advice much appreciated,

You are correct that you can fix the key yourself thus depriving Ford of their cheeky profits.

Buy a new blank key off eBay, swap the RCL circuit part of the new key to your existing working parts (blade and battery side with the transponder chip on it then programme it yourself.

As long as you ensure you have the original transponder chip (the glass tube which is a Texas Crypto ID4D-63 type) and original key blade you will be fine.

Programming procedure-

1. Insert Key and turn to II, then Turn Key from II to I and back to II four times within 3 seconds
2. The PATS LED (Flashing immobiliser light) should light up to denote that the programming phase is unlocked. Turn Key to Position 0.
3. Press the Unlock button and keep it pressed until the PATS LED flashes 4 times.
4. Turn to II and back to 0 to end.
  • Like 1

Ordered a new fob off eBay, so when it arrives I'll program it as per the procedure.

Many thanks Stoney,

All sorted; swapped blade and transponder halves from old key and put them together with the new RCL circuit half of the new fob, programmed it as per the above procedure and jobs a good'un! B)

Cheers again Stoney!

• 8 years later...

I have two keys that are both not unlocking the car using the buttons. Guess this would suggest an internal fault instead of both keys being broken? 

2 hours ago, aaronsch said:

I have two keys that are both not unlocking the car using the buttons. Guess this would suggest an internal fault instead of both keys being broken? 

More information required before a possible answer could be given.

(a) Have you ever had either of the keys work ? - Do you know when the remote fobs last worked ?

(b) Have you fitted new good quality Duracell CR2032 batteries ?

(c) Do you have a multimeter that you can measure the battery voltage ? should be 3.3V for a new fresh battery.

• 8 months later...
On 10/17/2013 at 1:16 AM, Stoney871 said:

You are correct that you can fix the key yourself thus depriving Ford of their cheeky profits.

buy a new blank key off eBay, swap the RCL circuit part of the new key to your existing working parts (blade and battery side with the transponder chip on it then programme it yourself.

As long as you ensure you have the original transponder chip (the glass tube which is a Texas Crypto ID4D-63 type) and original key blade you will be fine.

Programming procedure-

1. Insert Key and turn to II, then Turn Key from II to I and back to II four times within 3 seconds
2. The PATS LED (Flashing immobiliser light) should light up to denote that the programming phase is unlocked. Turn Key to Position 0.
3. Press the Unlock button and keep it pressed until the PATS LED flashes 4 times.
4. Turn to II and back to 0 to end.

So I can just buy a key take the side off with the buttons and the battery and put that on the new back then program it? Thanks 

• Sad 1

• 6 months later...

I have just changed the battery in a fob that didn't work remotely (still unlocks & starts the car manually) and tried the above reset process but the PATS light doesn't come on after turning from II to I 4 times. Does that mean I need a new key? 

Your key is most likely totally fine.

There are two separate functions of the keyfob, which are fully independent and are not connected in anyway.

(1) The PATS immobiliser function. Inside the keyfob is a small 'Transponder' chip which is totally passive and does not use the battery.  The transponder chip is interrogated by the ignition system each time you try to start the car. If the PATS immobiliser recognises the code in the transponder it will allow the car to start.

(2) The remote lock/unlock. This is an active function and requires a good quality battery with a voltage of 3.30V many poor batteries measure much less than this. When the battery is replaced make sure to use Panasonic or Energizer and be sure to insert the battery the correct way up. Stand outside the car and with the working keyfob lock/unlock the doors 3 times. Then repeat with the keyfob that you have replaced the battery.

If the Keyfob does need to be reprogrammed back in to the car then use the software FORScan.

• Like 1

One other point that has caught people out.

Some brands of battery have a removable sticker with a warning about swallowing etc. When removed this can leave an almost invisible residue which can interfere with the function of the battery and needs to be cleaned off thoroughly with a solvent.

You can just be unlucky and get a "dud" battery. Happened to me a couple of months back when the new battery read 3.3v on inserting, 2 days later the fob wouldn't unlock the car and the key was not recognised. Voltage on checking was down to 1.8v.

(This was a Duracell btw and there are reports of fakes getting into the supply chain. Second replacement (Energizer) has been fine.)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club