Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Converting 12V Socket To Ignition Live

ahm

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to wire up a dashcam to my Mk2.5(?) Focus (08 plate). I'm aware that cigar lighter and 12v aux socket are both permanent live and looking for a solution to getting ignition live.

I really don't want to have to pull the car apart or splice cables, and a couple of options fit that well: my preferred option below, or get Dave at autostar to provide the piggyback fuse and other bits to add some extra ignition live cabling to attach to.

My preferred option is to swap the fuse location to make the 12V socket ignition live - the info I've found so far is that it should be an adjacent socket, but I have yet to find a page on the web that actually states which socket to use.

From the manual, I have in the passenger junction box:

109 : Cigar lighter, rear auxiliary power socket

This is the fuse that I need to move I believe. Disturbed by the term "rear [...] socket" as I only have one in the centre console. It could be termed rear if some models have one in the glovebox, but I am aware that some have one in the boot!

So which slot should the fuse move to? Well, if adjacent then I have a choice of:

108 : Accessory to cluster (audio and navigation unit)
110 : Daytime running lamps ignition supply to lighting control switch
114 : Instrument cluster ignition supply, engine immobiliser
115 : Lighting control ignition supply
116 : Fog lamps

However, on looking at the fuse panel, only slot 110 is free (I don't have daytime running lamps).

What is getting me is I cannot understand how pulling a fuse and putting in another slot can change the behaviour of the 12v socket! I am not very clued up on electrics - I am guessing that the 12v socket is *NOT* wired up exclusively to the 109 slot but to multiple sockets, and it just happens that you get fuse protection with ignition live if connected to slot 110, and fuse protected permanent live if fitted to slot 109 (and for god's sake don't put a fuse in both!).

Am I remotely in the right ball park? Do I have the right shape ball???

Many thanks,

Alan..

• Like 1

Welcome to the club Alan :)

Have you considered using a fuse tap? I've always found these to be really good. Just find an ignition live fuse for a function that is not used so much (maybe rear fog light or similar) and insert the replacement fuse. You can uprate the fuse slightly if you wish but don't go too mad.

This will give you an ignition live feed straight from the fuse.

post-45890-0-70196100-1382009787_thumb.j

• Like 1

James,

Thanks for the welcome.

I *think* that is what I meant by a piggyback fuse! Yes, that is the other "easy" option that I could go with, but first, I'd like to get some more info about the fuse move option. I did find a page that told you what fuse slots to use on an ancient Mondeo, but I have only read that it is possible on a Mk2.5 Focus but not specifically how to do it.

The other "issue" is that slot 109 is 20A and slot 110 is only 10A.

Alan..

• Like 1

All fuse sockets are capable of supplying 30A or more, the board will only supply whatever amperage a device draws.

As long as a device is correctly fused you will be fine.

• Like 1

Ta very much.

If I decided to just pull the fuse from 109 and pop it into 110, what could I expect (assuming it doesn't make the 12v socket ignition live)?

My best guess would be:

1) Cigar lighter and 12v socket has no power

2) Daytime running lamps circuit suddenly gets a fuse but no running lights fitted so b*gger all happens.

Suspect nothing worse than that?!

Alan..

• Like 1

Personally I left mine alone and fitted one of these

post-41018-0-28100500-1382138366.jpg

Which I wired to the back of the radio 12v ign feed, it gives me the option of using both my dash cam and sat nav at the same time, and my phone charger can also be plugged into the oem socket should I not need it to light a smoke with while i'm driving.

you can find them here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-12V-Underdash-Dual-Power-Sockets-with-covers-NEW-/251345265098?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a855861ca

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Fuse number F100 on top left corner of the passenger footwell fuse board is a switched ignition live feed,

Plug your piggyback fuse in to F100 to have it only become live with the engine running.

Some may also be interested in viewing my stealth dual camera DVR system installation guide see link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65147-guide-fitting-dual-camera-dvr-system-focus-mk2-mk25/?p=438442

• 9 months later...

Hi, new to club so forgive me if I'm asking question on wrong page. Can anyone tell me where to put a 'tap fuse' to to get a live feed when ignition is turned on and no feed when ignition is turned off on my 2010 Ford Kuga 2 wheel drive 140 bhp diesel ?.

Best slots to use are ones relating to wipers.

Not sure what number fuse it would be on a Kuga but if you have a handbook there should be a fusebox layout/location chart in there.

Personally I'd go for whichever one relates to the rear wiper circuit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm wondering if I can do this inside the fuse box with 2 piggy back fuses and hope someone can confirm my theory.... I put the first fuse tap into the ignition live "donor" location the correct way around with both fuses installed as per instructions. This is then connected to the second piggy back wire and the piggy back is inserted "backwards" with only the top fuse in place into the lighter socket fuse location. Will this give me an ignition live through both top fuses to the lighter socket (i know this isn't electrically relevant but its just helping you follow my path/logic) and no feed from the original permanent live input with the missing fuse to the socket fuse?

Is there not an option to switch the fuse to another pin right next to the permanent live? The Mondeo MK3 allowed you to chose between switched and perm by moving the fuse over a pin.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club