Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick Question About Powershift On A Mondeo

rokkiN

Hello, everyone.

I have a very quick question about the Sport mode in the PowerShift transmission on my new Ford Mondeo (11/2012 Titatium Ecoboost 2.0 203cv Powershift), which I just picked up today:

Does the car need to be stopped, in order to switch between "Drive" and "Sport"? And if not, if there any speed limit to do this?

Incredibly, the Ford seller couldn't answer me this question and the owner's manual isn't clear as well: while it says that "When you select position S, a gear change may occur depending on the accelerator pedal position in relation to actual vehicle speed" - thus implying that it can, indeed, be changed while moving - it also clearly says to "Apply the brakes before moving the selector lever and keep them applied until you are ready to move off".

This can be seen in the Mondeo Owner's Manual:

(http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WOCMND/~MGB~LEN/pdf/12MNDog2e.pdf, page 151 and 152)

I'd appreciate some help. Thank you in advance.

mate for this kind of thing,arent you better off finding out 100% whats correct? I definitely wouldnt gamble the health of my new car's transmission,without knowing if the advice was 100% correct.

I think you'd be better contacting Ford's customer service/Technical Dept. You mentioned the 'Ford seller',& more often than not,they're not the best to ask for advice.(unless you have a credit card in your hand lol)

mate for this kind of thing,arent you better off finding out 100% whats correct? I definitely wouldnt gamble the health of my new car's transmission,without knowing if the advice was 100% correct.

I think you'd be better contacting Ford's customer service/Technical Dept. You mentioned the 'Ford seller',& more often than not,they're not the best to ask for advice.(unless you have a credit card in your hand lol)

I completely agree, yes.

But I just thought this would be a very simple "yes" or "no" question for any PowerShift user. Besides, I cannot get in touch with any technical department during the weekend (and just got the car a few hours ago).

Obviously I won't try anything until I'm 100% sure about it.

Hello, everyone.

I have a very quick question about the Sport mode in the PowerShift transmission on my new Ford Mondeo (11/2012 Titatium Ecoboost 2.0 203cv Powershift), which I just picked up today:

Does the car need to be stopped, in order to switch between "Drive" and "Sport"? And if not, if there any speed limit to do this?

FOCA - as far as im aware you can do this at any reasonable speed just select "S" (sport) from "D" (drive)- you can also shift up and down manually by pushing the slector backwards or forwards

Incredibly, the Ford seller couldn't answer me this question and the owner's manual isn't clear as well: while it says that "When you select position S, a gear change may occur depending on the accelerator pedal position in relation to actual vehicle speed" - thus implying that it can, indeed, be changed while moving - it also clearly says to "Apply the brakes before moving the selector lever and keep them applied until you are ready to move off".

FOCA - this is just so the car does not "lurch" forward when you move the slector out of "neutral"

This can be seen in the Mondeo Owner's Manual:

(http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WOCMND/~MGB~LEN/pdf/12MNDog2e.pdf, page 151 and 152)

I'd appreciate some help. Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

FOCA - as far as im aware you can do this at any reasonable speed just select "S" (sport) from "D" (drive)- you can also shift up and down manually by pushing the slector backwards or forwards

FOCA - this is just so the car does not "lurch" forward when you move the slector out of "neutral"

I am aware of the manual mode, once you manually pull up or down a gear. Thanks.

I also want to believe that the warning is just to avoid the "creep" when you move the selector. But hey, you never know...

Let's see if I can get a definite answer on this.

Thank you for your input.

I dont have the same car or engine, or transmission for that matter, but I flick between Drive and Manual mode on my gearbox at almost any speed. It doesnt have any bearing, however switching between Drive and Sport on yours, the first thing the car will do is try to drop a gear or two in order to get the revs high for sporty mode. I see no reason why you couldn't just drop it in, as that would probably be all that happens on the transmission front. Otherwise, the slower your moving, the less change for the transmission to get to higher revs or more torque.

Email Ford directly and get their advice, but I would be shocked if you couldnt just flit between them!

Some years ago I drove a cavalier (Don't shoot, it was a company car), with the sports option on the auto box, and it made no difference switching between modes whist moving, and my Mk2 mondeo auto I had never gave me any trouble when switching modes either, However i'm not 100% certain with the later models, so I would check first

If its not documented as a warning and the car has manufacturer warranty, then to be fair, if you switch between operation modes, and the gearbox was to fail, it would be due to Ford to replace it under warranty as they offered no advice against the operation change modes.

• Like 1

Some years ago I drove a cavalier (Don't shoot, it was a company car), with the sports option on the auto box, and it made no difference switching between modes whist moving, and my Mk2 mondeo auto I had never gave me any trouble when switching modes either, However i'm not 100% certain with the later models, so I would check first

I dont have the same car or engine, or transmission for that matter, but I flick between Drive and Manual mode on my gearbox at almost any speed. It doesnt have any bearing, however switching between Drive and Sport on yours, the first thing the car will do is try to drop a gear or two in order to get the revs high for sporty mode. I see no reason why you couldn't just drop it in, as that would probably be all that happens on the transmission front. Otherwise, the slower your moving, the less change for the transmission to get to higher revs or more torque.

Email Ford directly and get their advice, but I would be shocked if you couldnt just flit between them!

This is exactly what I'm thinking: it doesn't make much sense that it cannot be switched while running.

But I will not risk anything, obviously; I've e-mailed Ford about this yesterday, and I'm awaiting an answer.

(Something tells me, though, that I will not get an answer, but that's an entirely different matter. We'll see.)

If its not documented as a warning and the car has manufacturer warranty, then to be fair, if you switch between operation modes, and the gearbox was to fail, it would be due to Ford to replace it under warranty as they offered no advice against the operation change modes.

Another fair point as well.

Thank you all, again, for your input. Very much appreciated.

Hi, guys.

Much to my surprise, I got an e-mail from Ford today, confirming that I can, indeed, switch between "D" and "S" modes with the car moving (unlike between the other modes - P, R, N and D - in which the car has to be stopped).

Just wanted to post this here, in case anyone else has this question and finds this thread.

Also, thanks for your help.

I thought that would be the case as your only swapping between gear change logic and not operation modes. glad you got a straight answer :-)

sent using the Ford OC app for android.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

First post for a long, long time.

You can change from 'D' to 'S' almost willy nilly. The difference is electronically regulated. All 'S' does simply put is to keep the car in a lower gear for longer than would be the case for 'D'. This gives the impression of it being a bit more sporty.

It is sometimes possible to demonstrate this by cruising along with a moderate throttle and knock it into sport, it should change down a gear which you can notice on the rev counter. Then knock it back to 'D' and it will change back up again.

HTH

H

• 3 years later...
On 2/17/2014 at 7:44 PM, Hamster said:

Hi all

First post for a long, long time.

You can change from 'D' to 'S' almost willy nilly. The difference is electronically regulated. All 'S' does simply put is to keep the car in a lower gear for longer than would be the case for 'D'. This gives the impression of it being a bit more sporty.

It is sometimes possible to demonstrate this by cruising along with a moderate throttle and knock it into sport, it should change down a gear which you can notice on the rev counter. Then knock it back to 'D' and it will change back up again.

HTH

H

I have the same car/same engine as OP.  You can shift from D to S at any speed.  Tried it on highway in excess of 120 km/h as well as downhills at around 80 km/h to help me brake faster.  

"Apply the brakes before moving the selector lever and keep them applied until you are ready to move off" applies to moving from P to R or D.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club