Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ka Troubles

Pamela001

I am new, and have a major problem.

so far this car has hated me. My dad got me this 51 KA, had for a few months now, without much issue. brought it down for university, and then it happened. first my valve broke, I leaked power steering fluid. A taxi driver came to help, but mistook my power steering for my water reservoir. (I know, should have known better)

My poor dad drove two hours from Essex to fetch the car with the trailer. he fixed it in a week, replaced the valve and drained the fluid (and I know he fixed it, he knows cars, always fixes his own car). he drove it back to Portsmouth fine. THEN after one day, I move off to go to an interview and I start hearing this uncharacteristic 'coughing' noise driving back (best I can describe it like a motorbike), seemingly coming from the back of the car. I changed gears, made sure my parking brake was fully down. I have checked, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the exhaust pipe. I don't know enough about cars to try and poke around the engine without some damage. the Engine warning light has come on, and has now stayed on. the car seems the 'shake' abit, even when stationary (but engine still on) I really don't want to phone my dad again, without some clue as to what happened.

I really have no clue, and being a poor student, don't know how costly it will be to visit a mechanic. Any clues, any advice, any idea what is wrong with this car ? I have checked the oil, and it's normal, not white or milky etc.

Note: my dad has noted my starve the engine abit, ride the clutch before driving off, I know bad habit, but could that affect it ? please need some answers.

Many thanks,

Pamela

hi pamela...

not having a lot of luck are you..

from your description, it could be a misfire problem. especially if that shake is accompanied by loss of power

possible reasons, spark plugs, HT leads,coil pack or a mechanical fault in engine causing loss of compression

hi pamela...

not having a lot of luck are you..

from your description, it could be a misfire problem. especially if that shake is accompanied by loss of power

possible reasons, spark plugs, HT leads,coil pack or a mechanical fault in engine causing loss of compression

Hmm it could be. When I had to do something quite 'strenuous', like reversing or pulling off on/over a slight incline, it looses power. I stopped driving the car as soon as I could, luckily I wasn't too far from home. I will run it by my dad, see what he thinks.

What causes it ? seems to have come up pretty sudden. Though I suppose the car is pretty old. if one of the valves were worn enough to break, maybe something else could be too. stupid question, but if I were to take this to a mechanic (and this was the problem) what would be the damage to repair it ? (sure my dad could, but just save him the trip...though he probably will want to fix it him-self)

if it is a misfire

a set of plugs will set you back approx £15 plus 20 mins labour (so long as plugs dont snap off on removing, common problem on that engine, but have never had it on a KA, only on fiestas)

HT leads about £20 plus half hour labour

coil pack, £25-£50 plus half hour

if its a mechanical fault, then chances are head will have to come off and see whats wrong...looking at more serious money there

any one of those can go without warning, did the right thing by not continuing to drive, as can cause further damage to lambda sensor or cat if ecu didnt shut the injector off when misfire detected [engine light on dash)

Phoned my dad and he seems to think it could be possible. spent this morning poking my head under the bonnet to try and see where the spark plug lead. My dad might have a spare hanging about but I can't see where the plugs actually lead. All I could read off the leads were 'Motorcraft TAYFA HE 1G1'. don't know what that means, if it's useful. I've tried to take a picture from under the car, but view is obstructed.

Will post pictures soon.

the plugs are at the front of the engine just follow the ht leads & you will be able to pull off the ht lead the see the spark plug. sounds like you would be better to leave it to dad to look at . i hope it gets sorted soon for you

i would change plugs..air filter oil & filter & the fuel filter for starters then go from there.

dont goto frauds(fords) look at eurocarparts or similar for parts as much cheaper

click link for example price of a spark plug

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Ka_1.3_2002/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/regular-service/spark-plugs/?408770840&1&1d1975078e02e42912967cd2feaa48d90e9f74cb&000301

Sorry my mistake in terminology. I can see the spark plugs find. It's where they connect to the endure coil packs I can't see too well. (you can see how well I know my KA)
But yeah, dad will come and fix it in a week or so. I just hate twiddling my thumbs waiting.

the coil packs are the opposite end of the ht lead that connects onto the spark plugs.

if you remove any of the ht leads replace them in the same position dont cross them it will cause

a misfire.

its an easy part to replace if doing it yourself write on each ht lead the number of the lead so you know what terminal they fit onto

or remove a lead off the coil pack & fit on the new coil pack in same order as removed then remove old coil pack then fit the new one with the leads already attatched

here is a pic of coil pack & can be purchased from eBay .

not a bad price either as it includes p+p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-KA-STREETKA-1-3-1-6-IGNITION-BLOCK-COIL-PACK-/140579575641?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

the coil pack is fitted at the back of the engine under the inlet manifold, bit fiddly to change but not difficult...but recommend that if you need to replace it, do so with a quality part, cheapest is rarely the best option for ignition parts/sensors, often find they cause problems or fail a lot sooner.

true wase but the woman thats got the problem with the ka has already said that she does not have much money to spend on the car.just trying to give a photo description of the part she is looking for so she know what it looks like.

Had the same problem as you have with my daughters KA, Lack of power, engine management light was on and it sounded like a bucket of bolts.

It all turned out to be a broken spark plug, 4 new plugs later and a quick run round the block, out went the EML, and more power then her brothers new Astra 1.2, (Come on even a mini has more power then a 1.2 Astra)

Good news people :)

Dad drove down this morning, changed the spark plugs (wasn't the problem) changed the cables (wasn't the problem) and finally changed the coil pack, and behold, the car was fixed :) thanks to everyone for their input and advice, it wasn't wrong :) turns out that coil pack hasn't been changed, it's as old as the car, almost 12 years. it was bound to give out. So happy days, my car lives for another day :D drove around the block, parked up, no problems :) yay :)

Good news people :)

Dad drove down this morning, changed the spark plugs (wasn't the problem) changed the cables (wasn't the problem) and finally changed the coil pack, and behold, the car was fixed :) thanks to everyone for their input and advice, it wasn't wrong :) turns out that coil pack hasn't been changed, it's as old as the car, almost 12 years. it was bound to give out. So happy days, my car lives for another day :D drove around the block, parked up, no problems :) yay :)

Pleased its all sorted. Lets hope you have some trouble free driving from now on.

good news think you done right by changing the plugs & ht leads as they most prob would have let you down.as i always change those parts and oil filters etc on any car i buy as i never trust that it's been done by any garage. all ready for winter now .... happy motoring !!

if you have any details of where your dad or you got the parts can you pop a link up on here so others can use if they need same part.