• Super Mod
  • 14,824 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

Courtesy lights have two live feeds.
One that's remotely switched and connected to the door/ignition feed and one that permanent live which feeds to the switch mounted on the light itself.
For the footwell light loom you need to connect to the remotely switched live.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Chris398398

Chris398398

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Zetec S
  • Year: 2012

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Courtesy lights have two live feeds.
One that's remotely switched and connected to the door/ignition feed and one that permanent live which feeds to the switch mounted on the light itself.
For the footwell light loom you need to connect to the remotely switched live.

Yes I understand this but surely if I was to wire up to that feed the footwell lights would be off when the dome light switches off after it times out once I shut the doors or when I start the car the light goes out.

#18 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• FOC Supporters
  • 820 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 1.6 TI-VCT
  • Year: 2010

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Chris are you saying you want the foot well lights to stay on the whole time you are in the car, driving etc. As stoney says they are meant to work in conjunction with the interior light/courtesy light. I would still encourage u to make your own loom. First thing I would do is check what moulded connectors you have plugging into the interior light, then you can see if you can get some the same to make the loom. I got all my stuff from here www.thetoolboxshop.com.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

#19 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,824 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

If you want the lights on at all times when the engine is running you need an ignition live feed, often the switched live on the radio loom is a good one to use (this is the method used when fitting illuminated gearknobs as per Ford instructions).

#20 Chris398398

Chris398398

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

Chris are you saying you want the foot well lights to stay on the whole time you are in the car, driving etc. As stoney says they are meant to work in conjunction with the interior light/courtesy light. I would still encourage u to make your own loom. First thing I would do is check what moulded connectors you have plugging into the interior light, then you can see if you can get some the same to make the loom. I got all my stuff from here www.thetoolboxshop.com.

Yes that is what I am aiming for. I was looking for connectors the other night and I could only find the right ones on Motorcraft.com, only issue is they cost over £35 each (being a offical ford parts website you would expect that). I havent got a issue with splicing the wires its just getting the lights to come on when I want them on. Hense wanting to find a feed that comes on when I unlock the car and remain on in till I lock the car back up. I think my next bet will be the instructment lighting feed as this comes on and remains on in till I lock the car back up.

#21 Chris398398

Chris398398

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

If you want the lights on at all times when the engine is running you need an ignition live feed, often the switched live on the radio loom is a good one to use (this is the method used when fitting illuminated gearknobs as per Ford instructions).

Yes that is where I will be looking next.

#22 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• FOC Supporters
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

Ah right. The foot well lights do kick out a bit of light especially if you have led bulbs fitted, not too sure that would be too good for driving especially at night, will be a bit like driving round with the interior light on really.

#23 Chris398398

Chris398398

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Ah right. The foot well lights do kick out a bit of light especially if you have led bulbs fitted, not too sure that would be too good for driving especially at night, will be a bit like driving round with the interior light on really.

Yes thats correct but I will be putting on a switch so I have the option of turning them off, I just wanted them to come on and stay on, then I have the option whether I actually want them on or not.

#24 Chris398398

Chris398398

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Ive very picky when it comes to things like this, sometimes... most the time it makes the job so much more difficult than it needs to be.

#25 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• FOC Supporters
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

Ive very picky when it comes to things like this, sometimes... most the time it makes the job so much more difficult than it needs to be.

Lol I wish you luck my friend.

#26 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

It is possible to fit a 3way switch
1. Being auto on/off with the interior light
2. Off on all occasions
3. Being on when you switch on parking lights etc.

This way you can have I both ways and switch it off,
Cops will do you at a checkpoint if you have foot well lighting active while driving,

#27 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,824 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

Cops will do you at a checkpoint if you have foot well lighting active while driving,

If the lights are classed as too bright and therefore distracting then that can cause problems, if they are quite subtle and not dazzling then they can be classed as 'ambient lighting' then you should be ok.

#28 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,089 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

mine are via the courtesy light and theres a few reasons 1 is pc plod was not happy when they were on permenant second the leds produce a lot of heat and if on all the time burn out quickly and 3rd its a bit pointless as i have the door handle leds which are legal and a bit better

#29 Chris398398

Chris398398

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Its been a long time, just to let you all know I finally got round to installing lights in my car. Completed a few months ago, just havent had the time to do it nor post on here. I would like to point out that although it looks purple the colour is actually blue, but still looks pretty cool in the photos  B) .

photo 1
photo 2

I did end up splicing into the overhead light, I actually worked out that there is a 2 negative feeds and a positive going up to the light. One of the negatives is always there and is used for when you use the switch to turn the light on and off, the other negative becomes live when you unlock the car or open any of the doors. So i therefore ran 2 wires down from the light, one spliced into the negative door feed the other spliced into the positive feed. I had them go into a 3 way switch along with a always live negative that I connected to the cars body. Therefore I have the choice to either have the lights come on automatically with the overhead light or switch it over so that the lights were always on. O and I added a dimmer switch so I can dim the brightness if I wanted too :) Thanks for all the advice everyone !

photo

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lighting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users