Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Systems Fault And Dtc D900

bones23

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help, so that I can avoid potentially spending out unnecessary money here... although I'll say upfront that I don't know cars, so I would need a garage for anything past the very simple!

Car is Focus Zetec Tdci (110) 1.6L Diesel - 2005 (can't remember if it's 05 or 55)

This morning as I left for work, my Focus displayed 'Engine Systems Fault' with the red LED intermittently but fairly frequently during 5 minutes - I drove home and borrowed my partner's car for the commute. This evening I've had a bit of a look around and found the 'dashboard trick' which I've used to find within the test system the information "DTC #01 D900". Further searching online indicates this means "non specific can communications interruption" and does NOT indicate a fault on the car, but is merely reporting that the networking around the car had an unidentified interruption in power supply.

If this is the case, then does anyone know how I can get rid of it please? I'm looking to buy a new car and part ex soon, so even if this isn't a "real issue", I'd prefer it wasn't presenting itself.

Also the car (when idling as going through the test menu) felt "jittery" this evening, a bit like it did when I ran my diesel too low (which isn't currently the case!), so I'm concerned in case there's a real issue.

I drive to and from work 4-5 days a week, 30 minutes each way, mostly on the motorway. Last week we drove to holidays - 2.5 hours drive there, shorter journeys while away and then the journey back split into 1 hour and 1.5 hours. My partner was driving the car while away, but didn't find anything unusual with the drive, I drove it to the shops on the weekend and also didn't sense any issues.

Thanks for any help people could give... and apologies in advance if I have to ask some follow up questions to clarify my understanding a bit (just in determining how serious / expensive / how much help I need!)

The error codes on the dash trick are not the full story, d900 is a communication issue. It sounds like you will have a bigger or more prominent problem. Ideally you need a code scanner like a bluetooth obd code reader or handheld.

You could have just a duff sensor or a clogged pipe or filter...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi, I've got exactly same issue. Driving home from work one night on motorway all the panel went haywire and engine system fault came up with reduced acceleration... Car struggled to maintain speed so came off at next junction pulled over and turned engine off....like you do I turned key and car started ok and warning light gone along with warning messages. Drove home with no other problem. Car ok for several days then it happened again several times. Took it to garage after AA came out and did diagnostic ..air flow sensor. Garage changed this £294 ...robbing bleeders ....week later it's back to its limp mode engine fault ...NO fault codes ...so robbing garage wipe hands of it ..they fixed problem ??? Please can anyone come up with the solution to this fault without me changing every sensor and emptying my bank account....Ford have a lot to answer as this seems a very big issue indeed ...I've read hundreds of posts on this same fault ...surely that must be enough for a recall seems it to me .its a safety issue at least with the stupid and dangerous limp mode .... If anyone has solved this issue please let me know ....

Hi Paul,

this would indicate an electrical fault, or perhaps another sensor.

How are you reading the error codes? the dashboard trick doesnt show all error codes.

Just to note that I have not experienced this limp mode, although I only drove my car around the block (back home from fear of severe issues) so may not have reached the necessary speeds for this to present itself.

Hi Rebecca, how quickly do you need this fixing?

If it can wait about a week, you could buy yourself a code reader, let us know the codes, and we can help you from there (could save you money in the long run) oterhwise if you need it fixing now, you would be best going to a garage.

I can borrow my other half's car until it's fixed (not ideal as we're driving 360 miles on the weekend and I commute everyday... And mine is the more efficient car... But probably cheaper than expensive investigative work)

Looks like the readers are about £25 Inc postage, I guess the garage would charge a lot more to do the same thing? Can anyone recommend a reader please?

if you have an Android smartphone, then take a look at my signature at "Got an error on your car?" you can buy the adapters for circa a tenner. This will allow you to scan for error codes, and let us know the codes we can help you find out whats happening :)

That's brilliant - I just wonder if you could tell me the difference between the two types of adaptors available? They both seem to be bluetooth ELM327 v1.5 OBD2 ?

Does it matter which I buy? (Determined by car model, fuel, transmission, age of car, etc.)

theres not a great deal of difference, its just the interface it uses to communicate, as long as they are of OBDII stanard, then you should be able to at the very least read and clear error codes.

ELM327 is more the protocol for more thorough communication to and fro, for example, a lot of us have a modified ELM 327 cable that allows us to write to the cars PCM systems and change onboard settings :)

Thank you - I have ordered one which should arrive on Friday. I'm away for the weekend so will likely look at this again on Monday.

No worries, if you bought a bluetooth and have android, then download "Torque" from the play store for free, then you just need to pair it up, configure Torque for the bluetooth and you could be reading codes quickly!

Downloaded and ready to go! :D

Not got a reader and car is now throwing up this limp mode every time I get in it now !!!! Looks like the AA are going to get another callout. Just parted with £294 and still the same as before ...feel I've been royally shafted so I'm in no hurry to be done again by some shark garage! What I can't fathom is this seems a massive fault on these cars yet no one can point at one thing and say ITS THAT !!! Why not ! Modern cars are that full of sensors it makes impossible to pinpoint a fault with any accuracy and fix it ....why are sensors so damned expensive? And why are cars full of them. Rant over,,,, Fords are crap will never purchase one again!

Edited by jeebowhite
Appreciate the frustration Paul but were a family friendly forum, please watch the choice of words :)

All cars are run by sensors just the way it is im afraid had a vw and that was truly awful for sensors and reliability yet hardly had an issue with the focus

Technology is the reason for all these sensors. Amongst other things its euro guff to save the planet, so you need emissions control, others are safety, from the basics of ABS and its former luxury, to airbags in their hayday. Now, we have so many protective systems between these that sensors are an important part.

Often sensors that are failing will reference themselves directly (errors such as Mass Air Flow Zero Reading for example) these can be obvious and point you immediately to the source issue, however, others such as "CANBUS Communication Error" - yeah, thanks for that. Its error codes like this that says "there might be an error somewhere between the front number plate and the rear bumper?" it is frustrating to say the least.

Have you any error codes that you can share (on a new thread) so that we can try and help?

Cheers James, have ordered code reader as I don't want to pay £90 every time the fault light comes up. Let you know what codes I get when I can. Did have interesting chat to a mate of mine who owned a focus ...same problem...told me the focus was prone to damp ...he went through all the sensors he could reach disconnecting them then blasting them with WD to get rid of any moisture...sensor nearest to battery near coil pack was soaking ? Since did this no system fault has occurred....but not got any faith in car now and am waiting for it to happen again...I'm not that lucky to solve problem so easily...fingers crossed at moment. Considering it was running like crap before We did this and is now quiet and smooth gives some hope. Keep all posted...least not ready to take a baseball bat to it today !!

be very wary of spraying car electrics with wd40, though rarely a problem, it can actually cause short circuits..better off with dedicated electrical cleaner/lubricant

• Like 1

Agree with Tony on this one, electrical contact spray is cheap enough and is much better to use.

I would suggest that it could be due to water leaking through the likes of the washer jets. You really need to check where the water ingress is occuring, but for now, tracking down the affected area is enough of a starting point!

Plugged in code reader came up with U0001 High speed Can communication.....P0500 vehicle speed sensor.....P0123 throttle Pedal sensor A ....P0223 throttle pedal sensor B Does this mean I have to change these 3 sensors ??? Don't think bank account could stand that....time being I've wiped car clean of codes and praying won't come back ??? Any advice would be appreciated !

James..... Only thing I had to hand WD but will get some electrical contact spray and do it again. Thanks

Leaking wash wipe pipe above sensor near ECU so know where water is coming from....will silicon it ...temp repair with insulating tape for moment

OK So CAN BUS COMMS error can be either a fault in general communication, or it can be due to the other readings. Speed sensor could be masquerading as a previous fault on an ABS sensor and the TPS could be just a new accelerator pedal assembly.

Dont worry for now, drive the car, and check the codes, if they come back then we will look further, but for now, those codes could be years old!

Jeebowhite....Sorry didn't realise language was that strong....toned it down believe me!!!

Thanks for info ...will see if codes come back ...hope not !