• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Name: Rebecca
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Tdci (110) 1.6L Diesel
  • Year: 2005

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help, so that I can avoid potentially spending out unnecessary money here... although I'll say upfront that I don't know cars, so I would need a garage for anything past the very simple! 

Car is Focus Zetec Tdci (110) 1.6L Diesel - 2005 (can't remember if it's 05 or 55)

This morning as I left for work, my Focus displayed 'Engine Systems Fault' with the red LED intermittently but fairly frequently during 5 minutes - I drove home and borrowed my partner's car for the commute. This evening I've had a bit of a look around and found the 'dashboard trick' which I've used to find within the test system the information "DTC #01 D900". Further searching online indicates this means "non specific can communications interruption" and does NOT indicate a fault on the car, but is merely reporting that the networking around the car had an unidentified interruption in power supply.

If this is the case, then does anyone know how I can get rid of it please? I'm looking to buy a new car and part ex soon, so even if this isn't a "real issue", I'd prefer it wasn't presenting itself.

Also the car (when idling as going through the test menu) felt "jittery" this evening, a bit like it did when I ran my diesel too low (which isn't currently the case!), so I'm concerned in case there's a real issue.

I drive to and from work 4-5 days a week, 30 minutes each way, mostly on the motorway. Last week we drove to holidays - 2.5 hours drive there, shorter journeys while away and then the journey back split into 1 hour and 1.5 hours. My partner was driving the car while away, but didn't find anything unusual with the drive, I drove it to the shops on the weekend and also didn't sense any issues.

Thanks for any help people could give... and apologies in advance if I have to ask some follow up questions to clarify my understanding a bit (just in determining how serious / expensive / how much help I need!)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,299 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

The error codes on the dash trick are not the full story, d900 is a communication issue. It sounds like you will have a bigger or more prominent problem. Ideally you need a code scanner like a Bluetooth obd code reader or handheld. You could have just a duff sensor or a clogged pipe or filter... Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ford OC mobile app

#3 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford focus 1.6 zetec

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hi, I've got exactly same issue. Driving home from work one night on motorway all the panel went haywire and engine system fault came up with reduced acceleration... Car struggled to maintain speed so came off at next junction pulled over and turned engine off....like you do I turned key and car started ok and warning light gone along with warning messages. Drove home with no other problem. Car ok for several days then it happened again several times. Took it to garage after AA came out and did diagnostic ..air flow sensor. Garage changed this £294 ...robbing bleeders ....week later it's back to its limp mode engine fault ...NO fault codes ...so robbing garage wipe hands of it ..they fixed problem ??? Please can anyone come up with the solution to this fault without me changing every sensor and emptying my bank account....Ford have a lot to answer as this seems a very big issue indeed ...I've read hundreds of posts on this same fault ...surely that must be enough for a recall seems it to me .its a safety issue at least with the stupid and dangerous limp mode .... If anyone has solved this issue please let me know ....

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,299 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hi Paul,

this would indicate an electrical fault, or perhaps another sensor.

How are you reading the error codes? the dashboard trick doesnt show all error codes.

#5 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Just to note that I have not experienced this limp mode, although I only drove my car around the block (back home from fear of severe issues) so may not have reached the necessary speeds for this to present itself.

#6 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,299 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hi Rebecca, how quickly do you need this fixing?

If it can wait about a week, you could buy yourself a code reader, let us know the codes, and we can help you from there (could save you money in the long run) oterhwise if you need it fixing now, you would be best going to a garage.

#7 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

I can borrow my other half's car until it's fixed (not ideal as we're driving 360 miles on the weekend and I commute everyday... And mine is the more efficient car... But probably cheaper than expensive investigative work)

Looks like the readers are about £25 Inc postage, I guess the garage would charge a lot more to do the same thing? Can anyone recommend a reader please?

#8 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,299 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

if you have an Android smartphone, then take a look at my signature at "Got an error on your car?" you can buy the adapters for circa a tenner. This will allow you to scan for error codes, and let us know the codes we can help you find out whats happening :)

#9 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

That's brilliant - I just wonder if you could tell me the difference between the two types of adaptors available? They both seem to be bluetooth ELM327 v1.5 OBD2 ?

Does it matter which I buy? (Determined by car model, fuel, transmission, age of car, etc.)

#10 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,299 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

theres not a great deal of difference, its just the interface it uses to communicate, as long as they are of OBDII stanard, then you should be able to at the very least read and clear error codes.

ELM327 is more the protocol for more thorough communication to and fro, for example, a lot of us have a modified ELM 327 cable that allows us to write to the cars PCM systems and change onboard settings :)

#11 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thank you - I have ordered one which should arrive on Friday. I'm away for the weekend so will likely look at this again on Monday.

#12 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,299 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

No worries, if you bought a bluetooth and have android, then download "Torque" from the play store for free, then you just need to pair it up, configure Torque for the bluetooth and you could be reading codes quickly!

#13 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Downloaded and ready to go!  :D

#14 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford focus 1.6 zetec

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Not got a reader and car is now throwing up this limp mode every time I get in it now !!!! Looks like the AA are going to get another callout. Just parted with £294 and still the same as before ...feel I've been royally shafted so I'm in no hurry to be done again by some shark garage! What I can't fathom is this seems a massive fault on these cars yet no one can point at one thing and say ITS THAT !!! Why not ! Modern cars are that full of sensors it makes impossible to pinpoint a fault with any accuracy and fix it ....why are sensors so damned expensive? And why are cars full of them. Rant over,,,, Fords are crap will never purchase one again!

Edited by jeebowhite, 24 October 2013 - 08:09 AM.
Appreciate the frustration Paul but were a family friendly forum, please watch the choice of words :)

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

All cars are run by sensors just the way it is im afraid had a vw and that was truly awful for sensors and reliability yet hardly had an issue with the focus

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users