Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,717 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

Technology is the reason for all these sensors. Amongst other things its euro guff to save the planet, so you need emissions control, others are safety, from the basics of ABS and its former luxury, to airbags in their hayday. Now, we have so many protective systems between these that sensors are an important part.

Often sensors that are failing will reference themselves directly (errors such as Mass Air Flow Zero Reading for example) these can be obvious and point you immediately to the source issue, however, others such as "CANBUS Communication Error" - yeah, thanks for that. Its error codes like this that says "there might be an error somewhere between the front number plate and the rear bumper?" it is frustrating to say the least.

Have you any error codes that you can share (on a new thread) so that we can try and help?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford focus 1.6 zetec
  • Year: 2005

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Cheers James, have ordered code reader as I don't want to pay £90 every time the fault light comes up. Let you know what codes I get when I can. Did have interesting chat to a mate of mine who owned a focus ...same problem...told me the focus was prone to damp ...he went through all the sensors he could reach disconnecting them then blasting them with WD to get rid of any moisture...sensor nearest to battery near coil pack was soaking ? Since did this no system fault has occurred....but not got any faith in car now and am waiting for it to happen again...I'm not that lucky to solve problem so easily...fingers crossed at moment. Considering it was running like crap before We did this and is now quiet and smooth gives some hope. Keep all posted...least not ready to take a baseball bat to it today !!

#18 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

be very wary of spraying car electrics with wd40, though rarely a problem, it can actually cause short circuits..better off with dedicated electrical cleaner/lubricant

#19 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,717 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Agree with Tony on this one, electrical contact spray is cheap enough and is much better to use.

I would suggest that it could be due to water leaking through the likes of the washer jets. You really need to check where the water ingress is occuring, but for now, tracking down the affected area is enough of a starting point!

#20 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Plugged in code reader came up with U0001 High speed Can communication.....P0500 vehicle speed sensor.....P0123 throttle Pedal sensor A ....P0223 throttle pedal sensor B Does this mean I have to change these 3 sensors ??? Don't think bank account could stand that....time being I've wiped car clean of codes and praying won't come back ??? Any advice would be appreciated !

#21 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

James..... Only thing I had to hand WD but will get some electrical contact spray and do it again. Thanks

#22 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Leaking wash wipe pipe above sensor near ECU so know where water is coming from....will silicon it ...temp repair with insulating tape for moment

#23 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,717 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

OK So CAN BUS COMMS error can be either a fault in general communication, or it can be due to the other readings. Speed sensor could be masquerading as a previous fault on an ABS sensor and the TPS could be just a new accelerator pedal assembly.

Dont worry for now, drive the car, and check the codes, if they come back then we will look further, but for now, those codes could be years old!

#24 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Jeebowhite....Sorry didn't realise language was that strong....toned it down believe me!!!

#25 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for info ...will see if codes come back ...hope not !

#26 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Here we go again....been running ok for 3 days ...back with vengeance .... Gone into limp mode ...idle erratic ...won't drive over 10 mph and codes p0123. P0223 and new one p2176 throttle actuator idle ....end of tether now ...baseball bat looks like coming out ...PLEASE HELP !!!!!!! Can I change these sensors myself or do I need only one doing ... Which one and where is it ? Can anyone shed light on this for me . One thing I have decided ...I won't purchase another ford again! When or if this gets fixed I'm getting rid ...never felt so useless under a bonnet ...very poor vehicle all round

#27 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Codes P0123. P0223 and P2176. Any ideas anyone ....what needs doing and is it easy to do ? Any help appreciated ! Can you sidestep the limp mode by disconnecting anything ..least I could drive it on decreased acceleration mode .

#28 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

all codes are pointing to throttle position sensor

do a wiring check for any breaks/bad connections at the sensor

clean out the throttle body paying special attention around butterfly and where it closes

can do a resistence check on the TPS if you have an ohm meter

this will be a rough guide as dont have access to exact data at the moment..mainly from memory

TPS is a 3 wire sensor

check supply voltage with ign on...should have 5v

if you connect an ohm meter to 2 of the terminals on the sensor with connector plug disconnected..ign off [sorry cant remember which two but process of elimination should be fairly easy)

think you should expect approx 4500 ohms with throttle fully closed

approx 1000 ohms with throttle fully open

also vital that the readings move smoothly up/down as you gradually fully open/close throttle...any jump in reading at any point in any direction will indicate faulty TPS

hope thats of some help...

#29 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

Cheers Tony...will give it a shot. Must admit I feel it's the TPS but can't seem to find one on eBay or parts shops to purchase one ....feel it's FORDS main dealer and yet another huge bill ! Apprehensive about changing it due to me being heavy handed ha ha but have no choice it seems . Wish I still had my rover 75 ...own a Mondeo as we'll and that's a superb car ...only got this to cut down on costs ha ha ha spent more on this in 2 months than I did in 6 years on my rover. No faith in this vehicle but need it fixed to sell on .any help you can give is appreciated. Cheers again.

#30 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Tony..... Just a thought but if I disconnected battery and ECU unit for a few mins would they reset to factory settings when re connected and possibly clear the faults ..know they would prob return if driving but thinking it would clear the Limp Mode so I can actually use vehicle til I get parts. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users