Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Systems Fault And Dtc D900

bones23

Just been out to try and clear the codes - the app is now saying that there are no current / pending / historic codes. Although the red light and 'Engine System Fault' keep flashing on and off.

are they flashing whilst you have the reader still connected..if so then disconnect and see if they still flash

• Like 1

Tried again without the reader connected and it doesn't appear to be flashing.

The car seems reluctant to pull off (and is revving up and down between, approx, 1 and 1.25 as I press on the accelerator while finding the bite), but I'm not sure whether this is just because it's been sat there for a couple of weeks, and there's been a lot of rain too! However, there are cars parked either side of me and our street is on a slight incline, so I'll have to wait until it's clearer to give it a bit of welly and see how the car reacts.

I really have my fingers crossed, not just to avoid big bills, but because I miss driving my own car!

Latest .....new TPS fitted.....no difference whatsoever ......auto electrician looking at it tomorrow ! .... Garage reckons it's an electrical fault ...same code P2176 showing even though new TPS fitted.

Took the car for a short drive yesterday and the red light and 'engine system fault' warning didn't appear.

However, even while not pressing the accelerator, the car was revving up and down between 800 and 1000 rpm. I guess I need to get it to a garage!

Paul,

Was the error cleared off after they replaced the sensor? It could be a water ingress water...

Becca, make sure you remove the OBDII reader, I have this if I start the car with the app and car connected. If I remove the adapter it behaves itself. If you still have issues, you may want to check that the Mass Air Flow sensor is clean, and also that the air filter is replaced too.

Becca..... Do what I'm going to do ...GET RID !! The Ford Focus is garbage ! Mine has now been in garage a week .... Changed TPS and no joy...found connecter was shot had that modified ...car actually ran fine...before I could leave garage the thing died on me again ....won't start at all....after the auto electrician said all was well..... back to square one....communications fault ?? Even he's baffled ! So it's still being looked at ....with the sensors I've had replaced and the bill so far is around £400 .... Just want it to behave for a week so I can dump it with we buy any scrap .com then it's somebody else's problem... Becca get shut quick these vehicles are garbage. Ford know about this ongoing issue yet do nothing ...believe me you will be paying out forever once they start up with the electrics ....and that's what your describing ....read the forums it's the electrics on these cars that are rubbish. Hope I'm wrong and you actually get it fixed but I have no faith in that outcome....ask ...how is it this fault is prolific on all focus models yet nobody can point at one thing and say its that that's faulty....even the experts are baffled with this vehicle. Worst car I've had in my life ...utter garbage ! Good Luck !

James....yep no code showing after sensor replaced ...found to be faulty connecter which you can't buy separately so auto electrician adapted one from another vehicle connected wiring ...worked ...car running fine when he took it for test drive....went to pick it up it wouldn't even start ...com fault showing ...so he's going to have another look at it tomorrow. It's not the connecter he's done it's another problem completely ...fed up with this car now spent a fortune and it's still not right ...the focus is garbage ! Will keep all updated just to hopefully save anyone the expense of replacing things that don't need it. Been driving over 40 years and never owned a pile of scrap as this focus...absolute joke Ford have ignored the problems customers are having with their product...shows contempt ...No more Fords for me.

Rebecca....have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few mins ..this did it for me ..cleared u faults ..but make sure you have radio code first... ECU will relearn your driving over a few miles ...worth trying ...mine came up with new faults so be prepared...least you will learn what's really causing problem.. I think it's electrical ..focus known for them

Rebecca....have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few mins ..this did it for me ..cleared u faults ..but make sure you have radio code first... ECU will relearn your driving over a few miles ...worth trying ...mine came up with new faults so be prepared...least you will learn what's really causing problem.. I think it's electrical ..focus known for them

Not tried this... not sure what radio codes are / how to get them?

Paul,

Was the error cleared off after they replaced the sensor? It could be a water ingress water...

Becca, make sure you remove the OBDII reader, I have this if I start the car with the app and car connected. If I remove the adapter it behaves itself. If you still have issues, you may want to check that the Mass Air Flow sensor is clean, and also that the air filter is replaced too.

Thanks - is this something I could look at myself, or would I need someone who knows about cars? (I wish I had a mechanic friend!!)

I tried it again yesterday, without the reader connected and while I initially thought it was ok - the red light and fault message are still flashing on and off, it felt sluggish and the car kangarooed as I parked it back up.

Also, and frustratingly, I am on the verge of buying a new car - I was looking to test drive one that I like the look of when my current car started playing up... and now I figure noone will want to buy or part ex a car which isn't working properly.

Although I was thinking of buying a B-Max, which would also be Ford! Are they really all (Ford cars) that bad?

rebecca

gone over the whole thread again, was getting a bit confusing with 2 different cars/faults... and noticed apart from the communication issue there are no other specific codes.

going from your description of the fault, it could easily be a misfire issue or a air leak problem or combination of the two

maybe worth an engine service if not done recently, and checks for an air leak in breather/vacuum pipes...without codes this should be a starting point for your type of symptoms..

would also have battery/charging voltage checked along with earth connections...this maybe why the drop in communication code is flagging and cause running issues.

would also keep a regular check when your MIL shows up to see if any different codes flag

Chaps, I found a d900 code on my dash diagnostics too. Tried a code reader and it came up with a P code wail about the diesel particulate filter. Discovered that the hugely expensive DPF itself was actually ok, but two rubber hoses connected to it were absolutely knackered and split. These hoses are in very close proximity to the exhaust so I wasn't comfy replacing them with boggo rubber pipe - got garage to source ford originals. Just had a vehicle fire on a movano & don't want a repeat!

Ford robbers charged well over £100 for these two lil bits of 'special' rubber pipe.... well, only to be expected :(

Did a battery reset (disconnect battery positive lead & touched to chassis then left for a few hours before reconnecting) and then cleared the P-codes using the code reader. Drove for a few hundred miles & great, DPF issue gone away no more DPF P code.

2 days later, limp home mode again. Looked at battery voltage realtime graph on code reader, 12.0V before start, 11.5V after start. rev it up, battery voltage v time graph flat line at 11.5V. Suspected alternator.

Gave to garage, yep, alternator. But, alternator on this car connected to ECU via 3-pin control connector. Alternator with this 'smart charge' technology is twice the price of standard alternator.

Alternator now replaced, did another battery reset & FCR reset.. car runs fine and charging batt ok. No faults being reported by FCR.

However, despite doing a 2 hour long battery reset including shorting the removed battery positive terminal to chassis, and despite doing a full fault code clear on the FCR, the D900 "non specific can communications error" on the dash diagnostic persists.

Would like the answer to one question if anyone has it.. how exactly, can you clear this D900 trouble code off the dash diagnostic, just to see if it comes back again?

I'm wondering if there's a persistent memory chip in the dash cluster or a little lithium battery or something. Where should I aim my lumphammer?

Ernest,,,,,, i had the D900 it went when I had the airflow sensor changed. It's a costly sensor ...Fords Expensive on parts ????? £127. But you can change it yourself in 5 mins. Try get a used one or alternative make than Fords... Was fine after that til P codes appeared and TPS fault ... Latest on my tin of scrap is the auto electrician cannot find fault .... Coms communication.... ?? He's baffled ...he fixed TPS fault ...connecter ...which you can't buy unless attached to £200 part ..Fords eh! ...he adapted one ..car runs fine... Wouldn't start when went to pick it up ....absolute dead ...today after leaving it with him it started every time he tried it ....so can't diagnose fault until it does it again....which will be 20 miles later I'm betting.... Picking it up tomorrow ...fingers crossed it starts ! Can't wait to see the bill for this ? He's having one last look at wiring under dash see if alls ok ...keep all informed on outcome.....

Noticed an odd thing but most posts are about a Focus year of manufacture 2005 ???? Same faults ....how can that not be a recall issue ...Fords didn't have any strikes in 2005 did they coz the vehicles they churned out in that year are very suspect...

i really wouldnt get hung up on D900

i see codes for 'loss of communication in can' on nigh on every car with can, i plug into, no matter the make/model

if no other faults are showing, have battery checked, connections and charging...beyond that i really wouldnt be concerned about it..

what you have to try and remember is the can network runs throughout the car, for eg. it could relate to engine, gearbox, lighting, instruments, air bags, abs etc etc

to trace it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, i really wouldnt waste time or money changing things because somebody else managed to get rid of the code by changing 'insert any sensor you like here'

that code and the can network is very unspecific and not really that important.

Tony - understand what you say & recognise it as good valid advice :)

It's deep in my nature to itch on things like this though. Surely there must be some procedure to clear it, even if it does come back straightaway with no obvious cause.

Maybe reconnecting the battery itself causes a d900 everytime.. it's all very sparky when you put the lead back on & maybe the jitter and bounce in the supply voltage at that point, is the cause.. it's a guess

could easily be the reconnecting that flags it. they are a very sensitive system.

iirc...fords state to disconnect both terminals and touch the leads together to reset the dash {had an issue with an american ford with codes on dash i couldnt clear, sure it will be the same on a euro ford}

also make sure you reconnect the earth last.

beyond that, if no other problems i wouldnt persue it..

a friend had a similar issue on a renault, the renault comms are a nightmare, he drove himself insane trying to permanently rid the car of constantly flagging codes, to no avail....same codes would flag every time he connected a diagnostic despite the car not showing any faults....after a long exchange with renault top techs, the conclusion was that, just by connecting the diag caused the codes to flag.

i made a point of checking the systems on renaults he was having problems with, using a different diag machine, 90% of the time i had exactly the same codes come up, clear them, disconnect then reconnect and check again..codes were back...

I just emailed ford direct to see if they have a documented method for clearing the D900. If they reply with anything meaty I'll post it up here but beyond that I'll probably do just as you say and stop obsessing over it ;)

OK so there are a few posts I wanted to reply to, but I would take three pages in quoting and what not!

I can understand Paul's frustration, the Focus itself isnt garbage, but I can speak from personal experience! I bought a 2005 Focus about 4 years ago, and it was the devils child! it hated me, and almost everything that could go wrong, would! I was disappointed to say the least, but it was purely a case that my car was the runt of the litter, I suspect that Paul is having the same problem, the last of the Friday cars! As for Becca I can understand its starting to seem the same to!

Becca, in order to clean the MAF sensor, its a really easy job. All you need to do, is disconnect the Mass Air Flow hose, remove the lid of the air box, and on the side of the air box (where the hose goes to connect the engine to the airbox) you will see that there are three torx screws securing it in. Once you unscrew these, just blast it with electrical contact cleaner, let it dry, do it again, dry and again, then dry.

Refit in the same order.

Ernest, I also get d900 error codes, have done ever since I bought the car. To be honest, it doesnt bother me, I dont have any day to day running issues, when there is just that one code on the car.

It's just annoying from the point of view that if you ever come to sell the car...

Sorry James the Focus is garbage...yes I am frustrated but have never owned a crock of rubbish in my life...went to pick my car up this morning ...exactly same faults and issues from when they first took it over a week ago. Panel going haywire acceleration fault limited mode on and this after changing the sensors what the codes are saying is wrong with it.They cannot find what's wrong at all at garage ... Have spent £400 plus on this heap and still nowhere near solving problem. 2005 seems to be the year to avoid when buying a Focus ...is there any change in the wiring from earlier and later models because if there is maybe that's a pointer to the problem...now scared of spending anything else on this tin can ...throwing good money away. Just hoping they can clear problems for a week then it's gone!

For anyone interested I've completed a Vehicle Safety Defect Report regarding the Focus and sent it to VOSA . If enough people do this Ford will be forced to take action. I believe this vehicle is defective and a safety issue with the limp mode . It's become an issue with me now and I feel angry Ford can get away selling a dangerous vehicle. If anyone has had an accident due to this limp mode and the cars endless faults you really need to log your complaint ASAP. Go to VOSA site and put in vehicle safety defect report .

Useful info Paul.

ISTR reading not so long ago that there was a recall involving these vehicles, regarding a corrosion issue in the dash (which part of the 'dash' I'm not sure) causing all manner of codes to be thrown, limp home etc. IIRC if you could demonstrate that your vehicle suffered from this issue then Ford would fit an entirely new dash for £99, which apparrently was far less than the usual cost and would reliably fix the problem.

Not sure what you got, whether it was the jobby with all the dials etc, a computer behind it, both.. i dunno

Might be worth a bit of research.. short on time at the mo & unfortunately didn't save the link :-(

Car just thrown a Benny again. Missus and our 4 year old stranded at Morrissons :(

Luckily she swears by RAC so they're coming out, let's see what the FCR comes up with this time. She says there's nothing on the dash diagnostic apart from the ever persistent D900, but the engine light's come on, and the car won't start. Dash lights up as normal, but it refuses to even try turning over.

Dash diagnostic says battery voltage 14.1V