bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Name: Rebecca
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Tdci (110) 1.6L Diesel
  • Year: 2005

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Ok - I'll try clearing the code. Would that explain the 'shuddery' type feel of the car while idling?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,322 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Could well be to be honest. I had a similar experience recently, battery light came on as the voltage dropped and the car started to shudder like it was going to stall, even though the revs were high.

Give it a clear out and now that you have the code reader, see what else it throws after the next fault :)

#48 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,322 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Paul, hoping you get it sorted soon! looking forward to hearing all fixed and well!

#49 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Could well be to be honest. I had a similar experience recently, battery light came on as the voltage dropped and the car started to shudder like it was going to stall, even though the revs were high.

Give it a clear out and now that you have the code reader, see what else it throws after the next fault :)

Thank you very much! I think I'll test it on a couple of drive around the block over the weekend, before I attempt the 30 mile motorway drive (the weather is miserable at the moment and I don't want to be stood in it at 8am on Monday morning!)

#50 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,322 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

No worries Becca, just let us know and we can go from there!

#51 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

Just been out to try and clear the codes - the app is now saying that there are no current / pending / historic codes. Although the red light and 'Engine System Fault' keep flashing on and off.

#52 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

are they flashing whilst you have the reader still connected..if so then disconnect and see if they still flash

#53 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Tried again without the reader connected and it doesn't appear to be flashing.

The car seems reluctant to pull off (and is revving up and down between, approx, 1 and 1.25 as I press on the accelerator while finding the bite), but I'm not sure whether this is just because it's been sat there for a couple of weeks, and there's been a lot of rain too! However, there are cars parked either side of me and our street is on a slight incline, so I'll have to wait until it's clearer to give it a bit of welly and see how the car reacts.

I really have my fingers crossed, not just to avoid big bills, but because I miss driving my own car!

#54 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford focus 1.6 zetec

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Latest .....new TPS fitted.....no difference whatsoever ......auto electrician looking at it tomorrow ! .... Garage reckons it's an electrical fault ...same code P2176 showing even though new TPS fitted.

#55 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Took the car for a short drive yesterday and the red light and 'engine system fault' warning didn't appear. 

However, even while not pressing the accelerator, the car was revving up and down between 800 and 1000 rpm. I guess I need to get it to a garage!

#56 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,322 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Paul,

Was the error cleared off after they replaced the sensor? It could be a water ingress water...

Becca, make sure you remove the OBDII reader, I have this if I start the car with the app and car connected. If I remove the adapter it behaves itself. If you still have issues, you may want to check that the Mass Air Flow sensor is clean, and also that the air filter is replaced too.

#57 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Becca..... Do what I'm going to do ...GET RID !! The Ford Focus is garbage ! Mine has now been in garage a week .... Changed TPS and no joy...found connecter was shot had that modified ...car actually ran fine...before I could leave garage the thing died on me again ....won't start at all....after the auto electrician said all was well..... back to square one....communications fault ?? Even he's baffled ! So it's still being looked at ....with the sensors I've had replaced and the bill so far is around £400 .... Just want it to behave for a week so I can dump it with we buy any scrap .com then it's somebody else's problem... Becca get shut quick these vehicles are garbage. Ford know about this ongoing issue yet do nothing ...believe me you will be paying out forever once they start up with the electrics ....and that's what your describing ....read the forums it's the electrics on these cars that are rubbish. Hope I'm wrong and you actually get it fixed but I have no faith in that outcome....ask ...how is it this fault is prolific on all focus models yet nobody can point at one thing and say its that that's faulty....even the experts are baffled with this vehicle. Worst car I've had in my life ...utter garbage ! Good Luck !

#58 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

James....yep no code showing after sensor replaced ...found to be faulty connecter which you can't buy separately so auto electrician adapted one from another vehicle connected wiring ...worked ...car running fine when he took it for test drive....went to pick it up it wouldn't even start ...com fault showing ...so he's going to have another look at it tomorrow. It's not the connecter he's done it's another problem completely ...fed up with this car now spent a fortune and it's still not right ...the focus is garbage ! Will keep all updated just to hopefully save anyone the expense of replacing things that don't need it. Been driving over 40 years and never owned a pile of scrap as this focus...absolute joke Ford have ignored the problems customers are having with their product...shows contempt ...No more Fords for me.

#59 Paul mann

Paul mann

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Rebecca....have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few mins ..this did it for me ..cleared u faults ..but make sure you have radio code first... ECU will relearn your driving over a few miles ...worth trying ...mine came up with new faults so be prepared...least you will learn what's really causing problem.. I think it's electrical ..focus known for them

#60 bones23

bones23

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

Rebecca....have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few mins ..this did it for me ..cleared u faults ..but make sure you have radio code first... ECU will relearn your driving over a few miles ...worth trying ...mine came up with new faults so be prepared...least you will learn what's really causing problem.. I think it's electrical ..focus known for them

Not tried this... not sure what radio codes are / how to get them?

Paul,

Was the error cleared off after they replaced the sensor? It could be a water ingress water...

Becca, make sure you remove the OBDII reader, I have this if I start the car with the app and car connected. If I remove the adapter it behaves itself. If you still have issues, you may want to check that the Mass Air Flow sensor is clean, and also that the air filter is replaced too.

Thanks - is this something I could look at myself, or would I need someone who knows about cars? (I wish I had a mechanic friend!!)

I tried it again yesterday, without the reader connected and while I initially thought it was ok - the red light and fault message are still flashing on and off, it felt sluggish and the car kangarooed as I parked it back up.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users