Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bad Fousty Smell

thor

if my car is left idle for any length of time there is a bad smell to greet me when i open the door, this goes away in a few minutes after the heater blower is turned on . i have had the car valeted but its made no differance. Any ideas please. i'm the sort of person that can change a tyre but that about my normal limit.

• Like 1

if my car is left idle for any length of time there is a bad smell to greet me when i open the door, this goes away in a few minutes after the heater blower is turned on . i have had the car valeted but its made no differance. Any ideas please. i'm the sort of person that can change a tyre but that about my normal limit.

Hi,

You need to get your pollen filter changed,

Its a filter fitted in a box generally behind or below the glove box and it filters air coming in to the car,

The filter housings can leak allowing rain in to the car if not fitted correctly,

So I recommend going to ford for a pollen filter change.

Will sort it for you straight away.

• Like 1

thanks a lot for that. will do exactly that. infact i think i remember telling the garage not to bother changing that filter on the last service..

Its a bit fiddly to do yourself but doable. It probably is the reason for the unfortunate smell!

Pick one up from EuroCarParts for less than a tenner, it took me half an hour or so to fit, fiddly, but worth it!

Let us know how it goes!

i know what the smell is,i think. Do you own any cats? or any male cats near you? I have this problem as my female cat attract a couple a males. Ive seen them nearly every day,going upto front bumper,turning around,then pffffft(spraying) all over the front of car. when you get in,turn on engine,the heater blows it thru the car for a little while(& its disgusting lol).

I renewed pollen filter also,but its SO pungent,i still smell it.(little buggers lol).I'd bet my bottom dollar its this

to the op i have a smell too smells like smelly feet notmine lol had the car for a month and has a smell

same wi you-cats!!! wait til next yr,it'll get worse in warmer weather.

obviously when you start car with heater on even a bit,it gets sucked in. pungent aint it? lol

1 day the same cat that does my car came in my house & sprayed everywhere. Had to buy 2 new carpets & new settee it was that bad. If its a really young cat its even worse(like they have more to prove lol)

same wi you-cats!!! wait til next yr,it'll get worse in warmer weather.

obviously when you start car with heater on even a bit,it gets sucked in. pungent aint it? lol

1 day the same cat that does my car came in my house & sprayed everywhere. Had to buy 2 new carpets & new settee it was that bad. If its a really young cat its even worse(like they have more to prove lol)

i bought this car from a farmin the middle off nowhere lol now i have 5 cats lol but never had a problem with smells maybee come from the farm what do you think

could be. unless something has been spilled in car,in the past. usually,cat spray can be detected when cars 1st started in morning,,then it'll disipate after a few mins. if its wafting in thru heater vents id say its a cat. cat-spray is unmistakable,so pungent!

I find you can get a horrible 'fusty' smell through the vents after aircon has been on, too. I have a Mk3, not a Mk4, but my mondeo has this problem, as did the Mk1 Focus I had before it. You can get stuff from Halfrauds to sort that.

best thing to do is to change the filters, air filter and pollen filter as a starting point, then you may wish to clean the carpets (rug doctor or similar) and see if you can remove the smell that way.

• Like 1

i had the car valeted but the smell was still there, and it goes when the heater is turned on.. thanks for all the replies and the car is going into the local garage tomorrow and i have told them about the possiblitiy of it being the pollen filter.

have you smelled the front (outside)of your car(i mean where the air intake is at front bumper)? same smell there? although if your pollen filter is covered in algae type black fur,it could be that.mines is black also but cant be arsed changing it.

could be. unless something has been spilled in car,in the past. usually,cat spray can be detected when cars 1st started in morning,,then it'll disipate after a few mins. if its wafting in thru heater vents id say its a cat. cat-spray is unmistakable,so pungent!

its just there all the time cant put my finger on it

it'll have been something spilled inside your car,like milk(that can leave a really bad evil smell lol).

You can buy anti-enzyme stuff that'll clean em. think its called Nature's Miracle or something.The trick is to get whatever has been spilled,even in every tiny crack,nook n cranny.

If it's a musty fungus type smell it can be mould in the air vent system.

A vapour cleaner is very good at clearing the smell and mould.

If you or anyone who gets into the car has Asthma or respiratory conditions the mould can cause attacks.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=224996&catalogId=10151#tab3

• Like 1

had car back from garage after it had been serviced. the pollen filter was in good order and didn't need changing. they let of some kind of bomb inside the car that kills all odours, and did a service on the air/con as well, as that had never been done since i bought it(new). no bad smell when i picked it up ,we will see how it is in the morning.

• Like 1

Pretty much the same as I linked above.

It's an anti-fungal mist.

• Like 1

I have a couple of those ones on the Halford site. I find it pays to do it at least once a year - they really do help.

• Like 1

just checked the car this morning and the fousty smell is not there, but there is a sweet odour that i presume is the remains of the bomb that was used. so far so good. we'll see what the next few weeks will bring.

• Like 1

any chance you can do me a favour & next time you see thyat mechanic,can you ask for the name of the smoke-treatment if possible? cheers

• Like 1

ok. i'll give them a call tomorrow and i will let you know

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club