Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse Lights & Oem Parking Sensors Not Working.

timbosghia

Hi there,

I am new to this forum & having spent most of today on the net, I have decided this is the best focus forum about.

As the title says, I have OEM sensors fitted to my 2007 focus 1.8 Ghia tdci, which, along with the reverse lights have stopped working.

I have checked the bulb & fuse in the glovebox compartment.

I have checked for power at the switch, located on the top of the mtx75 gearbox, which is there, shorted the two wires in the connector together & still they don't' work!!

Is there another fuse or relay somewhere which could be faulty?

Cheers Tim.

The reversing sensors require a signal from the reverse light loom in order to activate so I would say that the loom from the switch to the light is most probably the culprit.

There is a footwell fuse layout for your car under this post.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have power to the switch & have joined the two wires together & still they don't work. I would presume this would eliminate the fuse & switch & also it would seem that the electric mirrors are fed from this fuse(141) & they work fine.

Does the outgoing wire from the switch go to reversing lights or to the module which is located behind the osr trim panel?

so you have shorted out the live wires at the gearbox switch and they still dont come to life?

It would suggest either a possible bad earth for that area, or perhaps a bad wire going into the reverse switch?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally it has stopped raining, so I have attempted to repair this.

I have discovered that if I remove the reverse light bulb, the sensors work correctly. I have swapped the holder with the fog light holder & it is OK in the foglight.

Thinking it must be a dodgy earth for the reverse lights, I bared a section of the earth wire (black wire) & connected that to a good earth.

Still they don't work.

So I tried linking the gearbox switch wires together & still no joy!

I have tried a new fuse & bulb as well.

All I can think of now, is that it is fault with a connection prior to the fuse box.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Tim

possibly... Although the signal is getting to the rear reverse light so I dont believe so.

If you disconnect the power for the reverse sensors, does everything else behave? I have to say it still sounds like a bad earth...

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem on an 05 plate. As both failed at same time I thought it would probably be the switch on the gearbox???

Just to tag onto this thread, my reverse light, reverse sensors and automatic rear windscreen wiper are only coming on intermittently when I reverse. To me this sounds like a dodgy connection at the reverse switch (corrosion?). I have found the switch, which is accessible with the air box taken out but is still under the battery and difficult to fit my hand and get a grip to pull it out. The Hayes Manual isn't very helpful on how to disconect - is it just a spade connector to pull straight out? Any ideas on how to pull it out without breaking something - then I can clean it up and test.

• Like 1

Apply sillicone lubricant and let it set in, but I believe its just a pull out connector.

Due to the bad weather & other commitments, I haven't had a chance to pursue this problem.

In answer to "v,s" question, the connector has little tabs you have to press in to release the connector.

I think I have eliminated the switch by joining the wires together at the switch connector & also a faulty earth by baring the earth wire from the reverse light bulb holder & connecting that to a good earth.

I was thinking that it could be a dodgy connection on the fuse box but have not had a chance to check it out yet, plus I cannot see how to remove the fuse box assembly.

If anybody got any other ideas, let me know!

Happy new year!! Cheers

Strange, so the wires joined together turned the lights on?

No, the lights nor sensors do not work at all, even if I link the wires on the switch connector together.

The sensors will however work if I remove the bulb from the reverse lights!

Think u can do gem self test to test ur switch down to module think u hear a beep this will at least tell u which end problem on

The switch is for user press buttons only, so yes, if you press and hold the rear demister as you start the car to electrics, it will enter this mode. Then you press the OEM Sensor switch and it should beep.

However, the fact that you get the thing working with the bulb removed, sounds like it could be either a bad earth, or a bad bulb holder. Check it for corrosion as a starting point.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

we seem to come to an abrupt end on this subject.

did we get an exact solution

• 6 months later...

Mine have just stopped working. I sometimes get a continuous tone about 5 secs when i drop into reverse regardless of whether anything is close by?

• 2 years later...

I have similar problem. Just bought the 1.8 zetech 2009. The reverse light, parking sensors and parking ligjts were non existent. I checked bulb and fuse. Both look new as if someone has tried to fix it before sale. So i was planning on replacing reverse switch. 

Then tonight out of the blue. All 3 came back to life. So now am thinking loose wire. As i get sensor and light not working as they both activate from reverse switch. But why is parking ligjts intermittent at the same time? 

Anyone solved this issue? 

Ok i am sorry. My mistake. The parking lights are nothing to do with reverse lights and sensors. Lol

Focus is new and i didn't know parking lights only work when engine is off. OOOPS. 

so am guessing we're back to the switch. 

• 7 months later...

I also have a 2009 1.8 Zetec with non-working reverse lights and a parking sensor that can best be described as schizophrenic. It will work perfectly fine at times, will beep continuously at other, cut in and out randomly on occasion. I admit I have not investigated the issue yet and came here first to see if anyone had figured out the order of operations to follow while trying to fix the problem. Any roadmap to fixing this is appreciated!

• 1 year later...

Any joy on this as I have a Fiesta 1.6Tdci 2013 with no sensors or reverse lights..... bulbs ok, fuse ok, switch ok

1 hour ago, FinnF said:

Any joy on this as I have a Fiesta 1.6Tdci 2013 with no sensors or reverse lights..... bulbs ok, fuse ok, switch ok

Best option I'd say was to change reverse switch. Under airbox screws into transmission. It's not expensive and usually 85/90 percentage of fix. Good look . That's all I did