• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

guys,

im selling my oval Ford DAB unit (see classifieds) and am replacing it with a Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB unit which is a double din unit. Do i need anything for this to fit into my car other than the fascia?

will the cage be enough to hold it in securely or do i need to visit my Ford dealer for anything?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Big_dom91

Big_dom91

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Name: Dominic
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2009

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

I know when i was thinking about getting a pioneer double din i was told you need a new cage aswell i think you can buy a seperate fitting kit for them like.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

#3 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Name: Lewis
  • Ford Model: Focus LX
  • Year: 2006

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Mines just held in with an aftermarket cage which came with facia adapters as part of a kit from ebay.. I got everything I needed to know from Brigante lol. But if you are fitting it into a MK2.5 it may be different.

#4 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

i've just bought a rectangle focus fascia (ford one) and hope the pioneer unit is the same size as i've seen another fascia plate that is smaller.

purchased: http://www.ebay.co.u...49#ht_683wt_721

smaller double din hole: http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1381wt_1473

#5 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Mines just held in with an aftermarket cage which came with facia adapters as part of a kit from ebay.. I got everything I needed to know from Brigante lol. But if you are fitting it into a MK2.5 it may be different.

do you have a link please?

#6 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

The original ford one which you purchased is bigger than the standard double din size, so you will need fascia adapters which go outside the pioneer to fill the extra room from the old stereo if that makes sense lol..

The second link will be the correct size for a double din stereo without the need for fascia adapters so I don't know whether you want to cancel the other order and buy that one? I didn't, I kept my original ford one and used fascia adapters.. i'll try and find a link to the kit Brigante gave me lol, it was ages ago now but it should be in my inbox somewhere.. 2 secs

#7 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Here's a link to the exact kit I used to fit mine:

http://www.ebay.co.u...3545693&afsrc=1

It will come with everything you need included in one tidy kit so you don't need to buy anything else. I fit a AVH-8400BT so fitting should be exactly the same for you as it was for me if you have the first head unit surround you linked. 

The patch lead it comes with though might be different as your car is the MK2.5.. might be worth messaging the seller?

And it includes the right size fascia adaptor to build out to the head unit fascia you just bought so there won't be any gaps, it also includes a steering control adapter, enabling use of the stalk controls on the steering wheel :)

#8 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

thanks for the info Lewis. it was too late for me to cancel my order as by the time i got back to them it had been posted. i'll try and sell it back on ebay or something. bidding on the smaller din hole one so hope i win it.

just wondering how the cage will fit inside the bigger hole as i cant see how it will stay secure...might have to modify it.

did you have to use that loom in the kit too?

#9 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

No probs mate, you can thank Brigante though lol he gave me all the info I needed ;')

Its probably worth keeping the head unit surround you bought tbh, because it fits nicely with the kit and the adapters which come with it, but if you can get a good deal on the other surround then why not I suppose.. it'll probs look nicer.

And the cage which comes with the kit has teeth which you bend outwards to hold it in place, it fits nicely when finished ;)

#10 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Oh and yeah I used the loom, it makes it a plug and play job, connects the pioneer to the car with no probs.. you just need to let the seller know your model car and that its a pioneer stereo..

Hope this helps :)

#11 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

i won that other adaptor and also found a loom for £5. cant wait to fit it all....got a new sub and amp to fit too

#12 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Fair enough mate, I fit a sub and amp aswell.. the only problem I found was getting the power cable from the battery through the rubber grommet into the car lol, the grommet was so damn thick and I pushed the cable through it with a metal coat hanger and lube haha

#13 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

i've already got exisiting wiring but am going to replace with with 0AWG cable! i want to try and do it so i can remove the sub/amp if i need the boot space but keep the existing sub/amp combo in place (side of boot mounted in custom install)

#14 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,416 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for the mention focuz

Sal if you need help with the head unit fitting you can always use my guide for reference

I wrote it when fitting my now outdated pioneer headunit

The cage that comes with the head unit will be too big i think and you'll need a smaller cage that comes with the fitting kit if you need it

You say you got a loom for 5quid, does it come with the stalk controls adaptor n aerial adaptor?

Concerning the head unit surrounds, as focuz says the standard ford surroune has a none din sized hole so you'll need the fascia adaptor if you choose to keep the ford surround

Or as you say you've now purchased the double din sized head unit surround so there is no need for the fascia adaptor and it will look a lot tidier n neater

I would of rather had the double din surround but it would mean i couldnt have my dummy head unit

#15 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

No worries charlie, its been a while.. you probs can't remember me lol, messaged you last year!
I've learnt so much from this forum and got so many ideas from you lot haha! :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users