Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi There Can Someone Help Please

nicg

Hey wondering if anyone could come up with any ideas on the problem I'm having.

When my car is warm and going up a hill or under a little load there is a weird rattle/clattering noise sort of if you was labouring the car but slightly higher pitched but coming from the front of the car I have had it on a computer and all seems to be ok not pinking or anything. Changing to tesco 99 helps a little but noise is still there I have checked the injectors and injecter 3 is noisier than the rest but it's hard to make the noise sat in a garage as it don't make the noise when free revving. would be useful if someone could sit in the bonnet and listen to where the noise is coming from but I'm not aloud haha if anyone has had this before or any ideas would be great thanks

Did forget to say its a mk1 1.6 petrol had new coil pack, leads and plugs new knock sensor passed mot and emissions with flying colours carnt think of what else to check

Cheers

Fuel filter would have been the first place to check then the pump the clatter sounds like its not getting enough fuel so ide do the fuel filter

sorry did not think to mention i changed the fuel filter around 2k ago still no joy. i poured a bottle of redex in the tank to see if it would clean out any crap then changed the filter but no joy. its weird because the car drives sweet as a nut even with the noise there is no loss of power but if you put your foot down and get above 3k it seems to go and i did stick in the redex very concentrated and gave her a good thrash when she was hot but made no difference im stumped.

Hi, From what you have described , it deffo sounds like Pinking (pre ignition). Its caused by the fuel igniting before the spark plug ignites the fuel this causes a shock wave which is the noise that you hear. Especially noticeable at low revs and when labouring the engine.

A weak fuel mixture can cause this (to much air in the mixture) . A weak mixture can make the engine run hotter and cause Pre ignition.

Also if the cooling system is not performing as it should and the engine is running hotter.

One of the most common causes is a carbon build up on the valves and pistons. The carbon can glow during combustion and can ignite the fuel before the spark plug.

You could try a stronger fuel system cleaner or maybe pay a bit more and get the engine professionally cleaned to remove the carbon. I have read on these forums that the Terraclean system works well.

A couple of tanks of a good quality fuel like Shell V power and an italian tune up may help.

This is where i would start.

Yeah I thought it was pre-ignition as it only happens when it's warm but I thought the knock sensor was suppost to sort that problem out. The computer (live data) shows that it is retarding the timing correctly. I've heard of terra clean just need to find someone down here that does it. Also there are no Shell garages or bp down here (plymouth) the closest is around 20 miles away. What's an Italian tune up ??? Thanks for your help

I am a Plymouth lad too and used Riverside Garage for my Diesel Terraclean a few months back.

Good bunch of lads and can't do enough for you.-

http://www.riversidegaragetideford.co.uk/terraclean/

BTW, an Italian tune is a burn down the Parkway at higher revs (but not speeding ;) ) to blow crud and gak out of the system.

• Like 1

Do you know how much it cost in total and did you notice any difference in the running of the car ??? And yeah well a few month back I took her up the moors and thrashed the hell out of it for about an hour just don't want to push her to hard seeing there are a few horror stories about this engine haha

Thanks

Best thing is to ring them and check prices, mine was for a Diesel and was £85+ VAT., petrol may be more or less, can't say for sure.

Fuel economy improved by about 15% and the car still runs like a champ.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41765-terraclean-seems-to-be-spreading/?hl=terraclean

Brilliant ill give them a shout hopefully might sort out my noisy injecter aswell haha thanks for the help just got stuck on we're to go next with this one haha all the mechanic say its not pinking and the computer says the car is well and healthy but a good clean carnt do any harm can it thanks again