Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Ti-Vct Timing Belt Change

Hillkidstr

Long story cut short, my focus power steering hose broke !Removed! fluid all over my drive belt :( so whilst I have to replace the power steering pipes and drive belts I might as well change the timing belt, the car in question is a 55 plate Ford Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT with 36k miles on. I know that alot of you would say that the timing belt is fine but since im down there and for what extra it will cost i would feel better knowing its done.

So here are the questions I have,

1. What is the OEM makes of Ford timing belts?

I ask as I have been quoted £77.76 for a Genuine ford timing belt kit but been quoted just £35 for a Dayco timing belt kit (with tensioner and bolts) so dont want to pay more for the sake of the ford branding.

2. Does anyone by anychance know is this is an interferance engine? (One hand im thinking no with the Ti-VCT)

3. Does anyone have a guide or auto data for the timing belt change? (Already bought the Ti-VCT locking tools)

4. I know that since it is usually a one time thing I could take it to a garage but I just dont trust them too many problems to go into even when I took my car to ford to be serviced I marked the oil filter with a uv pen turns out after a service they diddnt change the oil filter or engine air filter and just empted oil and refilled. Normal garages also have bad luck such as wrong oil fitting a timing belt wrong on another car causing it to snap a 3k later for a new engine never again.

If there's anything else you need of us just ask as any help you lot can give me would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks

Gates is the genuine ford belt kit for the ti vct i wouldnt use anything other than the original yes its an interference engine and i wouldnt even attempt the change myself and ive done timing belts before if it goes wrong big bills i would leave the belt for now the to vct usually needs a new ti vct cam at 60k miles which is a new kit again

never heard of it needing a new Ti-VCT cam? ford hasn't mentioned this to me either? Then again ford never tell me anything thus why I dont trust them.

Why wouldn't you attempt it yourself? Cant be much different to a 1.7 puma?

Don't mind staying genuine its just that when looking on Dayco website it stated the tensioner was supplied to main ford parts dealers scroll to the bottom,

http://www.daycoaftermarket.com/catalogue/tinf/TI0009EN.pdf

How much is a new VCT Cam? as dont mind changing that aswell. (I know it is very early but with the luck I have had with previous cars I would rather be safe than sorry.

My car is due a timing belt according to ford it states either 8 years or 100k miles my car is 8 years old so is due and as I don't want to leave it I might as well get it done and over with.

(Hope the above makes sense)

Thanks

I will just add after re reading everything are you on about the crankshaft pulley?

The one that doesn't have a key way? I knew that you had to discard of the centre bolt as it is a stretch bolt but didn't know about replacing the actual pulley?

Also when you say it is an interference engine is it piston to valve contact or valve to valve contact if the VCT units operate at the wrong time? as i'd of imagined that due to the oil filled mechanism either advancing or retarding the timing of the engine that it would only be valve to valve contact? and not piston to valve?

Could be totally on the wrong page but its just my understanding.

Piston to valve contact the valves work normally below 2400rpm above that the hydraulic cam retards or advances the timing by changing the angle of the camshaft to alter the opening and closing times however if the ti vct system goes faulty the engine reverts to normal so no damage can be caused to the valves common issue when the car goes into limp mode loses power engine light comes on and the car wont rev its either faulty solenoids or tge cam itself the cam is expensive to get done mine was done under warranty parts alone were £500 reason i dont change them is simple if a dealer does it its gauranteed if the belt or tensioners faulty they pay for the damage i know its gates as the dealer done mine and ford use gates not Dayco this explains the system http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Cam_Timing

Should be noted ford only use as oem conti tech or gates for there belts

Thanks for the reply,

Just to quote your first post regarding the replacement cam, you have stated that it needs replacing at 60k miles but the timing belt is meant to last 100k miles or 8 years? It doesn't make sense to me?

If only I could trust warranty's lol The Suzuki main dealer fitted our timing belt to a car we had bought from them as new, they cross threaded a bolt that caused the belt to wear away until snapping and basically destroying the engine, car had travelled just 600 miles since belt was fitted only the month before, the company that towed the vehicle confirmed that it was who ever fitted the timing belts fault well Suzuki wouldn't admit liability £3k later for a new engine and I swore it would never happen again.

However to cure my curiosity I did get a quote from my local Ford Dealer for a new timing belt and they quoted me just over £500 think it was £523? (Something around that figure) and £453 for the replacement of the power steering hoses. Which to be honest is just excessive.

If I could pay ford to do it for a reasonable amount I would as I don't fancy being out side in this weather but cannot justify the costs.

Could you expand a bit more on the parts for replacement exactly? are you on about the actual VCT unit?

May ring up a few ford dealers tomorrow and see what they quote me.

Should be noted ford only use as oem conti tech or gates for there belts

thanks for that, I will however double check with ford as looking on conti tech site the kit for the ti-vct engine contains a conti tech belt but a Dayco tensioner? going of dayco's website it does seem to match but will have to double check with ford, (if they are feeling generous lol)

Fords belt is gauranteed the tensioner is not and its always the tensioner that goes doesnt make sense but people on here will tell you there belts have snapped much earlier than that due to the tensioners.

Its up to you but ide leave the cam till it happens they fail between 60k and 70k its not in the maintenance when mine went the dealer told me its common on the early ti vct units mine was replaced with a newer version of the cam but its pot luck i wouldnt bother about it till it happens ford also replaced 3 stretch bolts doing my belt and cam that were not part of the kit but a dealer here to supply snd fit the timing belt kit and accessory belts takes £180-250 max

Fords belt is gauranteed the tensioner is not and its always the tensioner that goes doesnt make sense but people on here will tell you there belts have snapped much earlier than that due to the tensioners.

Its up to you but ide leave the cam till it happens they fail between 60k and 70k its not in the maintenance when mine went the dealer told me its common on the early ti vct units mine was replaced with a newer version of the cam but its pot luck i wouldnt bother about it till it happens ford also replaced 3 stretch bolts doing my belt and cam that were not part of the kit but a dealer here to supply snd fit the timing belt kit and accessory belts takes £180-250 max

in all honesty if i could get a quote like that from a ford dealer i would save myself the hassle so may be worth ringing a few up.

What where your symptoms of cam failure?

I don't think I want to leave the belt as if my cam turns out to be a decent one I don't want to risk the belt snapping to be 100% honest if I needed a new cam costing £500+ i would just scrap the car or drop a diff engine in. Will have a ring round but I am in no rush to get it done. So will have a good think.

In the mean time however if anyone does want to chip in feel free as I will take everyone's advise on board before going ahead.

Its possible that the tensioner alone is Dayco but i know ford do it as a kit not seperates and mine was all gates the ti vct unit failing wont harm the belt the engine just reverts to non ti vct symptoms are under acceleration the car feels sluggish the engine management light comes on car will go into limp mode diagnostics will point to the cam solenoids but changing these will not change it you can reset the light but each time you accelerate heavily it happens again

To be honest dropping a new engine ins a bit much instead of having the ti vct fixed given most cars now use a variation of this system honda vw bmw audi etc and all new fords now badged ecoboost

• Like 1

Its possible that the tensioner alone is dayco but i know ford do it as a kit not seperates and mine was all gates the ti vct unit failing wont harm the belt the engine just reverts to non ti vct symptoms are under acceleration the car feels sluggish the engine management light comes on car will go into limp mode diagnostics will point to the cam solenoids but changing these will not change it you can reset the light but each time you accelerate heavily it happens again

To be honest dropping a new engine ins a bit much instead of having the ti vct fixed given most cars now use a variation of this system honda vw bmw audi etc and all new fords now badged ecoboost

it may be a bit excessive but gives me a good reason to drop a 2.5 st lump in there lol

WIll have a think but if I do buy the timing belt kit my self I will just order the one from ford then at least if its wrong its their fault and I cant be blamed.

Just wish my car would stop breaking already had coil packs fail at 20k miles along with the throttle body :( at the same time, waiting to get my leather recaros fitted :D

Thanks for all of your help so far but if I do go ahead with the job my self I will create a guide for other people thinking of doing it and at the beginning I will either put *Take your car to the garage* or *Its a pain but it is possible*

Right I have rung up some more Ford garages as the chances of getting it close to the £250 seems impossible apart from a local garage who has quoted me £240, the cheapest a Ford garage has quoted me is £350, which is £100 more than you can get one for :(

Think ford may have changed the supplier of their belts just picked up both a drive belt kit and a timing belt kit direct from ford opened both up and the belts say FordMoCo Dayco, tensioner also states FordMoCo Dayco, so at least that sorted and confirmed, the parts where bought from a large Ford Main dealer so not just any old one.

Dayco make OEM parts for loads of manufacturers as well as selling them under their own name, also manufacturers are well known for sourcing parts from various companies/suppliers. That Dayco belt will be fine.

Dayco make OEM parts for loads of manufacturers as well as selling them under their own name, also manufacturers are well known for sourcing parts from various companies/suppliers. That dayco belt will be fine.

Many thanks I am just waiting on some other parts to arrive before taking the plunge dreadding it to be honest not the work but being out side in pouring down rain and thunder lol may as a mate to lend a garage for a bit saves me getting soaking wet.

Will be hopefully doing the change this weekend would it be useful if I made a guide? or is it not something anyone would find useful.

Definitely mate. Owning a ti-vct myself I would be interested in the process as I do all my mechanics myself.

Definitely mate. Owning a ti-vct myself I would be interested in the process as I do all my mechanics myself.

will get one made I will be selling my locking tools once I am done so if you do decide to go ahead you could buy the locking tools of me if you wanted.

I will try and get as many pics as poss but if it chucks it down then I will just have to plough on without pics. May stick a pop up gazebo over car to keep me dry lol.

To be fair mate my zetec s is 3.5 years old with 19000 on the clock, so in my ownership of the car I will prob never need to do it. But still really interested in the process :D

To be fair mate my zetec s is 3.5 years old with 19000 on the clock, so in my ownership of the car I will prob never need to do it. But still really interested in the process :D

why do so little mileage lol bought my 55 plate 1 year ago with 22k miles its criminal to just abandon a car lol

even though mine is still well below mileage its 8 years old which is the recommended year so not worth risking it in my eyes.

Worked on other cars and they all seem much of a muchness the only difference with this particular one is VCT on both cams.

Bought the car a month ago in that state. I do about 7k per year (live in a city - 3 mile commute, weekly drive to the other side of the city and few road trips during the summer) My intention is to sell mine in 3 years and upgrade so math says I'll never need to do it. If I was in your situation I'd be doing it too without a doubt.

Bought the car a month ago in that state. I do about 7k per year (live in a city - 3 mile commute, weekly drive to the other side of the city and few road trips during the summer) My intention is to sell mine in 3 years and upgrade so math says I'll never need to do it. If I was in your situation I'd be doing it too without a doubt.

yea yours wont need doing is it me or does the 1.6 ti-vct crowd almost seem dead lol is it a rare engine or something?

Well any zetec s 1.6 petrol will have one AFAIK. I'm sure there's plenty around. Its a good engine. Ample torque to drive around at low revs like a grandad and when you give it a hammering it goes like fook! I get around 34 mpg around to city driving normally - stop start short journeys etc, soon goes up to 38 with a few short motorway runs. I'm still getting used to this as my derv corsa did a consistent 48mpg :o

Well any zetec s 1.6 petrol will have one AFAIK. I'm sure there's plenty around. Its a good engine. Ample torque to drive around at low revs like a grandad and when you give it a hammering it goes like fook! I get around 34 mpg around to city driving normally - stop start short journeys etc, soon goes up to 38 with a few short motorway runs. I'm still getting used to this as my derv corsa did a consistent 48mpg :o

well if I hammer mine (not too often, ok more than I should) i get about 22 MPG :o

but i did a 160 mile motorway journey and drove as eco as I possibly could and to my shocking surprise averaged 48mpg was so happy diddnt last long though :(

How many miles do you get of a full tank?