Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Name: Lewis
  • Ford Model: Focus LX
  • Year: 2006

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Lol I know I shouldn't even be asking for help on this one but I bought one about 6months ago, only just decided to fit it, and realised that when connected up the ignition ring doesnt light..

Any ideas why the ring doesn't illuminate? I connected the plugs as they should, the dome light lights up but not the ignition ring..? Really annoying because if its broken i'll have to buy a new one from hong kong and wait ages for delivery :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,020 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Check that the connectors behind the light are correct and the right polarity.

#3 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yeah im pretty sure the connectors behind the dome light are right because it illuminates, its just the ring doesn't when everythings connected >_>

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

#4 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 8,717 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

Yeah im pretty sure the connectors behind the dome light are right because it illuminates, its just the ring doesn't when everythings connected >_>Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

If you have active foot well lighting in your focus,

You can splice the ignition ring to the foot well lighting for the same results,
Its worth a try encase its the plug/socket loom that's at fault and not the LED's

Splice blue on the ignition ring loom to orange on the foot well light loom
And
Splice black to black on the foot well lighting loom.

Worth a try before purchasing another one mate.

#5 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hi Lenny!

I've already looked at the footwells, and unfortunately I don't have the wiring or the bulb holders :(

One reason I decided to buy this ignition ring was so that I could splice footwell lights into that instead of the dome light.. I'll have a good look over the connectors and everything and if it all looks fine but still doesn't work i'll just buy another one.

Thank you both though because your guides have come in very helpful! ;)

#6 leesheffield

leesheffield

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

If you have active foot well lighting in your focus,

You can splice the ignition ring to the foot well lighting for the same results,
Its worth a try encase its the plug/socket loom that's at fault and not the LED's

Splice blue on the ignition ring loom to orange on the foot well light loom
And
Splice black to black on the foot well lighting loom.

Worth a try before purchasing another one mate.

I've just recently found my footwell lights (hVe to admit I wasn't looking very hard when I first looked lol) and I'm well happy with the results. Show up the aluminium pedals brilliantly. I was going to post about splicing to them for an ignition barrel so you must have read my mind haha. Thanks for the reply to this thread.

#7 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

I'm so jealous.. wish I had the wiring already there lol, ah well I like doing this sort of thing anyway.

And yes I do read minds!  ;)

#8 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

The wiring inside these ignition lights are very not the best , they are just LED's soldered together in series , you might have to pull it apart and see that noe of the Led soldering has broken , on the same not if all of the connections are good then you will have a failed Led , and as it's wired in series , if one fail's it will stop the rest from working , it would not be a hard job to replace the led's if you have a soldering iron. You will need a 12v supply to test each Led.

#9 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 8,717 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

I've just recently found my footwell lights (hVe to admit I wasn't looking very hard when I first looked lol) and I'm well happy with the results. Show up the aluminium pedals brilliantly. I was going to post about splicing to them for an ignition barrel so you must have read my mind haha. Thanks for the reply to this thread.

No prob :lol:
I've spliced mine to the foot well lighting loom,
I've also fitted rear foot well lighting and rear bird bath illumination,
Click on my aviator image to be brought to my profile where you will see my list of guides

#10 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,873 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I find that there is an easy way to test electrics. go down to your local 99p store and buy yourself a 1 - 4 12v extension. Cut the extension off, and then use the raw wires as the positive and negative.

For example, I did this on an old 12v extension, and I took the positive and wrapped it around my positive wire of my footwell, and then did the same with the negative. I then plugged the 12v in and switched it on and it lit everything like a christmas tree, so I saw that my wiring worked! :D

#11 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

The wiring inside these ignition lights are very not the best , they are just LED's soldered together in series , you might have to pull it apart and see that noe of the Led soldering has broken , on the same not if all of the connections are good then you will have a failed Led , and as it's wired in series , if one fail's it will stop the rest from working , it would not be a hard job to replace the led's if you have a soldering iron. You will need a 12v supply to test each Led.

My ignition ring is all exposed as it is, so there's nothing to pull apart lol, I did look at the soldering and it didn't look great to be honest! :/

No prob :lol:
I've spliced mine to the foot well lighting loom,
I've also fitted rear foot well lighting and rear bird bath illumination,
Click on my aviator image to be brought to my profile where you will see my list of guides

I am planning on fitting rear footwell lighting too, I have all the parts I need, I bought 2x 30cm 5050 smd led strips so they should be nice and bright blue :)

I have to admit I love the birdbath illumination you have, i'm sure i'll be using alot of your guides lol

#12 Hyrule

Hyrule

Batman

• FOC Supporters
  • 754 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2.5 Zetec 1.6
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Which ebay seller did you buy it from? As the first ring I bought was just plain awful and I ended it throwing it against the wall. This was from one seller in China.

Then I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.co.u...-/321224970098?

And voila, much better build quality and worked straight away.

#13 Focuz

Focuz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I bought it from Watchage222, they have pretty good feedback and have sold lots, so don't know why mine is faulty :/

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4cff471281

Think i'll buy the one you linked then, I just wish there was a seller in the UK because I don't wanna have to wait weeks for delivery.

#14 Hyrule

Hyrule

Batman

• FOC Supporters
  • 754 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2.5 Zetec 1.6
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I bought from that exact same seller initially. Its nothing you are doing wrong, its the cheap way this ring is made. Trust me buy from the seller I linked you will see the difference in quality. Plus delivery is faster, only took 9 days to come from china as opposed to nearly a month when i ordered from Watchage222.

jooceloosener the way to go :)

#15 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,873 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I bought mine from watchage, the first one arrived and one LED went out, the second one I havent even installed it, two of the LED's work fine and it illuminates fine, so I currently have it sat in the boot in case I get bored one day lol.

Come to mention it though, the second one they sent me was a much better build quality! perhaps they have both a decent and a not so one!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users