Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,154 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

So, I recently moved out of the parents place, and into my own with the family :D took us a couple of weeks to move in (shifting stuff, building furniture bla bla bla) and anyway, we moved in properly about 10 days ago. Started off well, until I found I was being bitten! looking down at my leg, I found a flea chowing down like it was an episode of man vs food! Seems that the former tenants outdoor cat has left us a pack of presents somewhere in the downstairs area!!!

So, having bought some flea treatment I set about spraying the place and trying to vacuum and massacre the little sods! unfortunately, having a hardwood floor can make this rather difficult.

So at the start of the week, I had the council come in and gave the house a treatment. Carpeted area's sprayed down, and the skirting boards also where treat. Monday night was bliss, no bites, tuesday night, the Mrs found one, Wednesday I got one, now I am back to how I was before.

The Mrs keeps saying we expect to see some as they hatch, but I thought they should hatch, leave there eggs, walk on the treatment and die!!! not live for a little while, bite the hell out of me and then eventually, maybe die?

The worst bit is, now that we have had this treatment down, we need to avoid hoovering and mopping etc for about another week! so I cant even go for the old hoovering tactic to kill them!

Has anyone had any experiences with a formal pesticide being used and should the little sods still be making a meal out of me? or should I notice nothing?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jamesm182

jamesm182

Management

• Admin
  • 1,493 posts
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Ouch I feel for you. When we first adopted our cat she has fleas (presumably the previous owners didn't treat properly) and they were a pain to get rid of. Took a while but got there eventually with some decent treatment etc. I'm assuming you don't have an animal to treat?

#3 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,154 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

nope, I wouldnt mind so much if I did, at least there is a reason, but I think their cat left a flea that laid a few eggs, they moved out, then they hatched and started feasting upon my body!

I have a few idea's to try, I am going to lay a plate of soapy water underneath a desk lamp overnight and attract the little blighters to a drowning session. Then spread a little salt for now under our sofa's. If its still a problem after the weekend, will buy some diatomaceous earth (try saying that sober, let alone drunk!) and use that, if all else fails and they still feast on me next week, I will be calling the council to come back and kill the sods again!

Thankfully, I have got the letting agents to pay for the council visit, just waiting for the cheque!

If anyone has any other idea's please share! I am increasingly irritated by these bites, and I will soon set off a nuclear explosion in the house to fix it once and for all!

#4 issym

issym

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Oh dear ! The trouble you have it that flea eggs can lie dormant for 6 months :( And anything can set them hatching , commonly vibrations from hoovers, walking on hard floors etc also heat and now were getting into winter you can't really avoid putting the heating on !! Providing the council fumigated properly I guess it will reduce the number but if you got eggs lurking around maybe you'll need another fumigation!

Just keep hoovering everyday and eventually they will go but keep changing the bags or emptying out side for you'll have a lovely warm little home for them to breed in!!
Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

#5 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 18,585 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: 2015 Focus ST3 250BHP
  • Year: 2015
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Buy room foggers.
One treatment and they won't come back again.
Had your ecperirnce when I was helping a friend renovate houses when I lived ib the US.
Walked into a place that had been empty for s couple of weeks, felt itchy and looked down to see my legs crawling with little brown dots.
Clothes went straight in a boil wash and me into a hot shower.
Foggers went in the next day and left everything closed up for 24 hours and problem solved.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

#6 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 18,585 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: 2015 Focus ST3 250BHP
  • Year: 2015
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

This kind of thing-

Screenshot_2013-10-25-14-24-24.png

#7 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,154 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yeah I have thought about them, the problem is, with the kids around I cant really leave a load of poison over everything :( I am tempted if things get desperate, but I just cant take the risks with the kids!

#8 georgen

georgen

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name: george
  • Ford Model: focus est 1.6 tdci lx
  • Year: 2005

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Yeah I have thought about them, the problem is, with the kids around I cant really leave a load of poison over everything :( I am tempted if things get desperate, but I just cant take the risks with the kids!

Go back to your parents for the weekend whilst you treat, they will be missing you and you can go down the pub and leave them looking after kids, win win. :)

#9 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,154 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Good Idea George, lol. On the plus side, I called the council and they are sending someone back as of Tuesday, so I will try a few tricks over the weekend, then let them come and massacre the little goits again.

I like the council (for a change!) called them up and spoke to the guy I booked with last time, told me that for my fee I have already paid, I can have them out up to 6 times to retreat the property to get rid of these little suns of guns if necessary! no extra fee! so I will probably look to abuse their services.

#10 georgen

georgen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Good Idea George, lol. On the plus side, I called the council and they are sending someone back as of Tuesday, so I will try a few tricks over the weekend, then let them come and massacre the little goits again.

I like the council (for a change!) called them up and spoke to the guy I booked with last time, told me that for my fee I have already paid, I can have them out up to 6 times to retreat the property to get rid of these little suns of guns if necessary! no extra fee! so I will probably look to abuse their services.

Now you need to get rid of these in under 3 visits, so you can subcontract the council out to someone else that has this problem lol, go and invite yourself into you new neighbours house for some sugar and infect it, then by the time you have got rid of yours they will get the problem, then charge then 50% what you were charged to sort the problem out by swapping house numbers and calling back in the council, Simples :lol:  

#11 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 1.6 TI-VCT
  • Year: 2010

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

itching after reading this thread......

#12 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,154 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Haha Nice idea there George,  and James, I cant say I blame you, its horrific!

I wouldnt be bothered if they were my fleas (so to say) but as they were left by someone elses animal....!

Well I look forward to seeing them massacred again, I hope I can kill them with slow agony, the same pain and discomfort that I am living with these damn bites that I need to scratch! My legs look a mess to say the least! I suppose I should at least be grateful they only appear to have affected the downstairs living area and (touch wood) have not ventured to the bedrooms!

#13 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,154 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

ARGH! If there was ever a time I wanted to massacre someone for getting me setup in the flea pit!

- Twice I have had the council come out and treat the house. This looks set to be a third time

- I have set off 2 lots of flea bombs / foggers (used 7 bombs all in)

- I have hoovered like never before

- I have laid salt and baking soda into the carpets and swept them in

- I have laid salt and baking soda in every crevice of the skirting board to try and kill them off

- All the bedding has been washed and rewashed on an almost every other day cycle then ran through the drier on high heat for 100 minutes

- All clothing that has been anywhere near a suspected flea has been immediately thrown into the washer and left to the washing machine fairies to drown the little goits.

- I have set out candles in a plate full of soapy water in the main rooms where the culprits are, I have drowned a few that have survived

And yet, I am still suffering! we managed 4 days without being bitten! then got one bite, then had about 3 days without being bitten and now we are back to looking like a flea buffet! Seriously getting irritated with these damned parasites!...

#14 georgen

georgen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

I would be speaking to my landlord now with something like, I dont think its fit to be lived in, failing that looks like back to parents while they deal with this problem once and for all

#15 Gary Minty Jupe

Gary Minty Jupe

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

should be able to get a house flea treatment from your local vets if you do make sure you turn your sofa and chairs over and put a couple of holes in the base fabric and give a blast in there !

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users