Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Name: kieran
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Metal
  • Year: 2011

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Ok guys i bought myself a funky new head unit that's a direct fit like some of you have done on your focuses. I also received a rear view camera which is the problem.http://m.youtube.com...th the av feed

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 k13r4n

k13r4n

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

anybody ?

#3 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 1.6 TI-VCT
  • Year: 2010

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

You might get a better response if you actually state what the problem is :blink:

#4 k13r4n

k13r4n

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

When car ignition is on the rear view camera is perfect. But when the rear view camera is activated when engine is running there is lines and sometimes not even a display from the camera as per the video above

#5 Turvey

Turvey

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Year: 2005

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

Someone comments under the video that you have to install a relay "onto the voltage wire and colelct the 12V from fuse or somewhere the voltage is stronger with power"

​Not being electrically minded it means nothing to me though  :wacko:  :)  

#6 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

When car ignition is on the rear view camera is perfect. But when the rear view camera is activated when engine is running there is lines and sometimes not even a display from the camera as per the video above

It is possible the engine (eg - the ignition/ ht leads or alternator etc) is interfering with the signal (either air-bourn or through the cables/power supply)

On the original Golf HTI 16v, the radio ariel was relocated to the back of the roof because the engine interfered with the radio in the normal position- thus starting the trend for rear mounted arials (it was not intended as a styling or aerodynamic thing)  

If you took the (power) feed for the head unit and camera derectly from the battery, that will help with power/ cable bourne interference (you may need an extra/ additional power switch for the audio) as the battery acts as filter/ damper to power-bourn interference - you can also add filters/ suppressors

Careful shielding would help with the air-bourne (radio/ rfi) interference, (eg co-axially shielded cable for the video feed) and adding ferrite cores/ chokes to the signal wires

re-routing the earths can help too , 

there is also a possibility that the voltage changes/ raises when the engine is running (eg upto 16v) due to the smart-charge system - and the camera cannot handle this voltage - a voltage regulator could help

Alternatively you could try a different camera (it may cope with the conditions(voltage/ interference) better)     

#7 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 1.6 TI-VCT
  • Year: 2010

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Excellent post there FOCA.I was going to say interference from the engine for sure

#8 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport, KA Luxury
  • Year: 2008

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

The power to the camera should be attached to the power to one of the reversing light bulbs and a separate earth. The canbus switches the screen to camera automatically when you select reverse I pressume.

#9 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Excellent post there FOCA.I was going to say interference from the engine for sure

Thanks - yes, there must be a reason it works with the engine off - interference from the engine is the most likely culprit  

The power to the camera should be attached to the power to one of the reversing light bulbs and a separate earth. The canbus switches the screen to camera automatically when you select reverse I pressume.

It might be useful to have the camera working even when reverse is not selected, i am fitting a system with front/ rear cameras with manual/auto record/ playback feature o-lux IR (total darkness)  and a 24/7 security recorder with motion detector to protect the car when driving and also when it is parked   (a bit like a home security system but for the car) 

#10 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport, KA Luxury
  • Year: 2008

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

It looks like from the video that the camera is switching off when you turn the ignition on but the unit is still trying to show a picture. It is wired for the camera to only switch on when you select reverse gear?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users