Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Dashboard & Limited Power Issues

matsam01

Hi there,

Recently I've been having issues with my focus. When driving along normally both the rev counter and speedo die on the dashboard and pretty much every warning light comes on. After a short period of time they ususally come back to life (2-5 mins) and the lights go off but the Engine Systems Failiure warning light stays on resulting in reduced power. If i turn the ignition off and back on again everything is normal for a bit (sometimes 30 mins or up to a week or even two??).

I have just been to see a freind who has a OBD2 fault code reader, we plugged this in and found "No Stored Faults", upon unplugging the device the car would not start at all?!? If you turned the key every single warning light would stay on and turning the key did nothing?! We disconnected the battery for 10 mins and it then started again?

Please can anyone shed any light on this as its driving me insane! PLEASE!!

Regards, Mat.

P.S dont know if its worth mentioning but sometimes the dashboard and stereo clocks stay lit up for a while after locking the car?

Hi again,

I have just tried the trick to find any fault codes using the dashboard button and upon pressing through test, 8888 and LED I then get the following:

r0608

e01

er0608

dt5t66

dt848f

Does this mean anything to anyone? :(

I would suggest that you get the error codes cleared, or you clear them yourself. Then when you have done so, monitor the situation.

I would suggest you REMOVE the OBDII reader.

If I leave my OBD connector in and I have torque pro connected, my car panics, throws error lights, the engine revs and drops, and displayed errors like transmission failure, water in fuel etc.

Disconnect the car battery for half an hour, reconnect and ensure you do not have the OBD connected. It should be fine.

Possible gear box speed sensor issue this causes the speedo and revs to die off and come back on again and possibly a battery issue either a faulty cell or incorrect type of battery fitted none of those are codes by the way

Thanks for the replies guys! I have already disconnected the battery and got it working but for how long dno lol. Thanks for the advice, I'm gna nip down to my local garage and get them to check for error codes if what I found is just gibberish, I will also get him to check te battery for me. It looks a bit small for a 1.6 :s not had the car long. Speed sensor is probably the issue tho if that's the side effect. What does it mean when the stereo and odometer stay lit up for ages?

Cheers :)

• 5 months later...

Hi first time on here so be gentle if I have hijacked some ones thread/

focus 1.6 TDCI. engine management issues, I have read loads of threads but don't seem to find an answer.

turning on ignition all warning lights illuminate. the milage reading disappears, and just 2 rows of dashes. Turn ignition key and nothing happens. try a few times and the mileage display will remain and the car will then start, all lights go out but the yellow engine management light re appears instantly. car continues to run ok. some times the rev counter does not indicate any reading , so turn off and start again engine runs, rev counter works, but the yellow warning light still lit, car will rev to 4000 + but light remains on. it will then either run for 2 hours all cut out. I did the focus cluster for error and the main one is this ERfail 0608 followed by loads of others. but cannot find any info how to resolve, I took it for a long fdrive yesterday, and the EML when off for half our, and then came back on.

it went to fords, got robbed of 300 pound and the fault is still there. HELP

It seems to me your problems are caused by a defective instrument cluster. This is a common problem on the Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters. Most problems are caused by bad soldering connections of the circuit board of the instrument cluster.

Due to vibrations (especially when driving on bad roads) the soldering connections become cracked which results in a bad connection (or no connection at all). Most problems can be solved by resoldering the instrument cluster connector to the circuit board. If you are handy you can do this yourself. Otherwise you could go to a specialized company which repairs instrument clusters.

Another solution is to install another instrument cluster. A used instrument cluster can be found for under 100 Pounds but because a new or used instrument cluster needs to be programmed to the car this will be more expensive.

It sounds to me like the speed censor that happened to my focus 1.8 edge 04 I put into a ford dealership where they done a full diagnostics to detect the fault as I asked them because my car had the same symptoms

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Many thanks, I have just packed my tools away so will have a look at this, my mate has the same car, so I will substitute the part first, so save money, but thanks for this

bluebell

Many thanks, I have just packed my tools away so will have a look at this, my mate has the same car, so I will substitute the part first, so save money, but thanks for this

bluebell

no problem hope you get sorted! If you do decide to put it into a dealership it'll cost around £180 that's diagnostic part and labour

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

The Focus MK2/MK2.5 does not have a speed sensor. On these vehicles the speed is calculated by the brake control module (ABS pump) and distributed to the instrument cluster over the CANbus network.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club