Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T Reg 1.6 16V Zetec-S Losing Power......

Focused on my Focus

Morning Everyone,

I have just purchased a Silver T reg Focus 1.6 16v Zetec-s 69000miles for the wife and have noticed that i am somtimes losing power in 2nd and 3rd gear if i go round a bend at a certain speed but as soon as the power drops (give 3secs) then it comes bk. It doesnt actually stall!

Please tell me that i havent just wasted my money on a car thats on its way out?

Im hoping it could just be a fuel filter issue or is that wishful thinking? :wacko:

Many Thanks

Wayne

could be many things from the fuel filter to the idle control valve to the speed sensor on the gearbox what else happens do the revs drop and mph go to zero

• Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Yes my revs drop and mph goes to zero!

could be many things from the fuel filter to the idle control valve to the speed sensor on the gearbox what else happens do the revs drop and mph go to zero

• Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
  • Yes my revs drop and mph goes to zero!

its the gearbox speed sensor common issue but a nightmare to do youreself sometimes

its the gearbox speed sensor common issue but a nightmare to do youreself sometimes

Thats a great help thanks.

Can this be purchased from Euro's or would you suggest getting it from a Ford Dealer?

Thanks again

Euros will do them ide imagine i just got mine from fords

Euros will do them ide imagine i just got mine from fords

Think i'll follow suit!

Thanks again will report back once done. :driving:

Hi Wayne, welcome to the family!

It sounds to me like a choke somewhere, could be either fuel or air, possibly spark.

Whats the service history? the last known service - what was done?

Hi Wayne, welcome to the family!

It sounds to me like a choke somewhere, could be either fuel or air, possibly spark.

Whats the service history? the last known service - what was done?

Thanks for taking the time out to read my post.

Im now confused only because i have been told via here (Focus Section) that its my Speed Sensor on my gearbox that needs changing.

If the consensus is that i need to change feul filter, air filter, spark plugs and speed sensor to solve this issue then so be it.

Just need to know what i 100% need to do to solve the problem.

:(

I can understand the speedo dropping out can be the gearbox VSS however I wasnt personally aware that this also caused a drop in performance and power. Its entirely possible that the VSS is the sole problem, but if that doesnt resolve it, I would be looking to solve the fuel filter and other filters as I mentioned above.

Wayne, though i agree with opinion there is an issue with the speed sensor,there is no way anyone can 100% guarantee correct diagnosis over the www....wish it was that easy mate but its a bit more complicated than that.

take it as an opinion only, its upto you to decide wether you gamble on that opinion or take it to a garage and get it properly checked out...

its hard enough diagnosing a lot of faults with all the right tools and car in your possesion,nigh impossible over www...view these forums as a guiding hand, not 100% guarantee

I can understand the speedo dropping out can be the gearbox VSS however I wasnt personally aware that this also caused a drop in performance and power. Its entirely possible that the VSS is the sole problem, but if that doesnt resolve it, I would be looking to solve the fuel filter and other filters as I mentioned above.

Thanks for the advise - think i'll do just that!

- Change the Speed Sensor

- Change Fuel Filter

- Change Air Filter - i will do myself

- Clean MAF - i will do myself

- Change oil Filter (and ONLY put back in 5w/30 Oil)

- Change the Idle Control

I that doesnt solve it i think i'll break down and cry.

Fingers crossed, will report back once done. Hoping to book it in for sometime next week.

Wayne, though i agree with opinion there is an issue with the speed sensor,there is no way anyone can 100% guarantee correct diagnosis over the www....wish it was that easy mate but its a bit more complicated than that.

take it as an opinion only, its upto you to decide wether you gamble on that opinion or take it to a garage and get it properly checked out...

its hard enough diagnosing a lot of faults with all the right tools and car in your possesion,nigh impossible over www...view these forums as a guiding hand, not 100% guarantee

Thanks for the reply

I totoally undertsand i was more speaking out loud out of frustration.

I plan to buy another Focus for myself (i fancy an ST) once i have sorted these few blips on my wifes 1.6 i can look towards that.

Also knowlegde is power so really want to learn a lot more before hand.

Thank you to all for your time and advice

When i have got the few bits done as mentioned in the post above i will report back..............hopefully with good news :D

Kind regards

Wayne

the vss will effect performance its not uncommon for the car to stall or cut out completely when this sensor goes you have to remember all the sensors etc that connect to the dash display if anyone of those goes faulty it will effect other sensors the speed sensor and fueling etc are all interlinked

if you dont want hassle i wouldnt be looking at an st dont get me wrong great cars but they suffer from the same issues as all other focis including timing belts snapping early etc

the vss will effect performance its not uncommon for the car to stall or cut out completely when this sensor goes you have to remember all the sensors etc that connect to the dash display if anyone of those goes faulty it will effect other sensors the speed sensor and fueling etc are all interlinked

if you dont want hassle i wouldnt be looking at an st dont get me wrong great cars but they suffer from the same issues as all other focis including timing belts snapping early etc

Oh ok will have to have a think then!

One more question, i noticed yesterday when i put on my front fogs the light on the dash flickered. Should this be a concern for me?

Im driving it at them minute till i get it up to scratch for the missus. oh it also has no heating - which im hoping is just the heater motor.

:wacko:

no heating as in no noise from the fan is likely to be the heater motor resistor easily bought on eBay and found in the passenger footell up by the fan for the heater a slight flicker as you switch the lights on isnt uncommon if it keeps flickering constantly it could be a battery issue or an earth needing cleaned up of which theres a few in the engine bay one behind the drivers light one by the battery to the body

no heating as in no noise from the fan is likely to be the heater motor resistor easily bought on ebay and found in the passenger footell up by the fan for the heater a slight flicker as you switch the lights on isnt uncommon if it keeps flickering constantly it could be a battery issue or an earth needing cleaned up of which theres a few in the engine bay one behind the drivers light one by the battery to the body

Thanks for that!

Ok once i get all this done which will hopefull be no later than next week i'll report back.

:driving:

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers artscot79

To update:

Ok the Focus will be picked up today from the garage, ready for the missus - :( (i want it for myself)

I had the following done; replaced the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug, 2 wheel bearings, replaced wheel barrels, replaced rear brakes, changed one rear wheel, changed heating resistor (had no interior heating) and fuse.

Havent driven it yet so will report back tomorrow to see if the loss of power has been resolved due to the filter replacements. If it hasnt then will buy a new VSS.

Thanks again guys

To update:

Ok the Focus will be picked up today from the garage, ready for the missus - :( (i want it for myself)

I had the following done; replaced the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug, 2 wheel bearings, replaced wheel barrels, replaced rear brakes, changed one rear wheel, changed heating resistor (had no interior heating) and fuse.

Havent driven it yet so will report back tomorrow to see if the loss of power has been resolved due to the filter replacements. If it hasnt then will buy a new VSS.

Thanks again guys

Sorry for the late reply.....

Ok so have driven it and i must say performance is a hell of a lot better since changing the filters (massive thank you to both artscot79 & jeebowhite) Will still probably end up replacing the VSS in a couple of weeks anyway as well as getting the heating sorted.

Does any one know where i can get a heater motor from. ive looked on a number of car part sites and its coming up at over a hundred £. Euros is caoming up as £150 and Car parts 4less is about £130.

Many thanks

Wayne

Ebays the best bet even a used one should do and its a lot cheaper is it a motor or resistor it needs

no worries Wayne :-) glad to be of service :-) as Tony said we can only offer guidance on experience and knowledge and take it as guidance sometimes we get it right sometimes wrong but it's always cheaper than a dealer lol

sent using the Ford OC app for android.

Ebays the best bet even a used one should do and its a lot cheaper is it a motor or resistor it needs

Morning Arthur,

I think it needs both the resistor and motor.

When i put a fuse in, it burns straight away!

no worries Wayne :-) glad to be of service :-) as Tony said we can only offer guidance on experience and knowledge and take it as guidance sometimes we get it right sometimes wrong but it's always cheaper than a dealer lol

sent using the Ford OC app for android.

Morning James,

Thanks for the app.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club