Show
Photo

T Reg 1.6 16V Zetec-S Losing Power......

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Focused on my Focus

Focused on my Focus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Name: Wayne
  • Ford Model: T reg 1.6 16v Zetec-s
  • Year: 1999

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

the vss will effect performance its not uncommon for the car to stall or cut out completely when this sensor goes you have to remember all the sensors etc that connect to the dash display if anyone of those goes faulty it will effect other sensors the speed sensor and fueling etc are all interlinked

if you dont want hassle i wouldnt be looking at an st dont get me wrong great cars but they suffer from the same issues as all other focis including timing belts snapping early etc

Oh ok will have to have a think then!

One more question, i noticed yesterday when i put on my front fogs the light on the dash flickered. Should this be a concern for me?

Im driving it at them minute till i get it up to scratch for the missus. oh it also has no heating - which im hoping is just the heater motor.

:wacko:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

no heating as in no noise from the fan is likely to be the heater motor resistor easily bought on ebay and found in the passenger footell up by the fan for the heater a slight flicker as you switch the lights on isnt uncommon if it keeps flickering constantly it could be a battery issue or an earth needing cleaned up of which theres a few in the engine bay one behind the drivers light one by the battery to the body

#18 Focused on my Focus

Focused on my Focus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

no heating as in no noise from the fan is likely to be the heater motor resistor easily bought on ebay and found in the passenger footell up by the fan for the heater a slight flicker as you switch the lights on isnt uncommon if it keeps flickering constantly it could be a battery issue or an earth needing cleaned up of which theres a few in the engine bay one behind the drivers light one by the battery to the body

Thanks for that!

Ok once i get all this done which will hopefull be no later than next week i'll report back.

:driving:

#19 Focused on my Focus

Focused on my Focus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

the vss will effect performance its not uncommon for the car to stall or cut out completely when this sensor goes you have to remember all the sensors etc that connect to the dash display if anyone of those goes faulty it will effect other sensors the speed sensor and fueling etc are all interlinked

if you dont want hassle i wouldnt be looking at an st dont get me wrong great cars but they suffer from the same issues as all other focis including timing belts snapping early etc

Cheers artscot79

#20 Focused on my Focus

Focused on my Focus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

To update:

Ok the Focus will be picked up today from the garage, ready for the missus - :( (i want it for myself)

I had the following done; replaced the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug, 2 wheel bearings, replaced wheel barrels, replaced rear brakes, changed one rear wheel, changed heating resistor (had no interior heating) and fuse.

Havent driven it yet so will report back tomorrow to see if the loss of power has been resolved due to the filter replacements. If it hasnt then will buy a new VSS.

Thanks again guys

#21 Focused on my Focus

Focused on my Focus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

To update:

Ok the Focus will be picked up today from the garage, ready for the missus - :( (i want it for myself)

I had the following done; replaced the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug, 2 wheel bearings, replaced wheel barrels, replaced rear brakes, changed one rear wheel, changed heating resistor (had no interior heating) and fuse.

Havent driven it yet so will report back tomorrow to see if the loss of power has been resolved due to the filter replacements. If it hasnt then will buy a new VSS.

Thanks again guys

Sorry for the late reply.....

Ok so have driven it and i must say performance is a hell of a lot better since changing the filters (massive thank you to both artscot79 & jeebowhite) Will still probably end up replacing the VSS in a couple of weeks anyway as well as getting the heating sorted.

Does any one know where i can get a heater motor from. ive looked on a number of car part sites and its coming up at over a hundred £. Euros is caoming up as £150 and Car parts 4less is about £130.

Many thanks

Wayne

#22 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Ebays the best bet even a used one should do and its a lot cheaper is it a motor or resistor it needs

#23 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,516 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

no worries Wayne :-) glad to be of service :-) as Tony said we can only offer guidance on experience and knowledge and take it as guidance sometimes we get it right sometimes wrong but it's always cheaper than a dealer lol

sent using the Ford OC app for android.

#24 Focused on my Focus

Focused on my Focus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Ebays the best bet even a used one should do and its a lot cheaper is it a motor or resistor it needs

Morning Arthur,

I think it needs both the resistor and motor.

When i put a fuse in, it burns straight away!

#25 Focused on my Focus

Focused on my Focus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

no worries Wayne :-) glad to be of service :-) as Tony said we can only offer guidance on experience and knowledge and take it as guidance sometimes we get it right sometimes wrong but it's always cheaper than a dealer lol

sent using the Ford OC app for android.

Morning James,

Thanks for the app.

#26 Focused on my Focus

Focused on my Focus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Afternoon guys,

Hope everyone is ready for xmas. :whistling:

I have just received a worrying text from the missus. She says that while stopped in traffic the car went dead and the symbol below appared.

CEL_Amber.jpg

can anyone help? Im worried that this might be a large bill that i really cant afford with xmas only round the corner.

Many Thanks

Wayne

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users