Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well My Fuel Computer Aint Right

nick172sport

26 miles to go and it stopped went to fuel station put 7 pounds into a can pours it in away we go but know reads 20 miles which i presume must be correct

i dont think you're going to be able to tell with putting so little fuel in.plus its not good having so little fuel in your tank. Have you tried putting(dare i say it ) a half tank full in it?

i thought sticky float in unit but sometimes these can free up if you put a good amount of fuel into em a few times. see,all the crap at bottom of tank will accumulate around the float & eventually stick in the track,but if you keep putting tiny amounts of diesel in it,you're not going to know. you said you put 7 quid in,thats only barely over a gallon. can you imagine what a gallon of fuel would look like in that big ol tank(like a deep puddle lol)

Sounds like you might have a sticky FSU (Fuel Sender Unit)

i dont think you're going to be able to tell with putting so little fuel in.plus its not good having so little fuel in your tank. Have you tried putting(dare i say it ) a half tank full in it?

i thought sticky float in unit but sometimes these can free up if you put a good amount of fuel into em a few times. see,all the crap at bottom of tank will accumulate around the float & eventually stick in the track,but if you keep putting tiny amounts of diesel in it,you're not going to know. you said you put 7 quid in,thats only barely over a gallon. can you imagine what a gallon of fuel would look like in that big ol tank(like a deep puddle lol)

its petrol i put 40 pounds a week into it

Sounds like you might have a sticky FSU (Fuel Sender Unit)

[/quote

where are these located thanks

I had been to Shropshire and back on a tank over the weekend and on the Monday morning had to do some running about as well as get my Dad to the Hospital by 9:00 am which was 30 miles away. I started off with the computer telling me I still had 65 miles in the tank. Now I never run it low but this day I took it to zero miles left and I was 500 yards from the petrol station. I was bricking myself. I will not be doing that again. Still I was happy I managed to get over 500 miles out of a tank.

I think probably the sender is kaput.

Trip computers aren't all that accurate, but they normally err on the side of caution and tell you you've got LESS miles than you actually have. If you're running dry with 20 miles still indicated, there's a problem.

wouldnt condemn anything based on this one episode

might have said 20plus miles when it ran out, but you have to bear in mind when the fuel is that low and its swilling around in the tank,only takes a second for pump to suck air for it to come to a halt..

plus only topping a minimal amount would not make it easy for computer to work out a fairly accurate mileage estimate, especially when it has to take in account of current driving style.

would save your money till it becomes more obvious that there is a problem...such as showing 20 miles with 20 quids worth of fuel and driven at least 5/10 miles to allow computer time to work it out

• Like 1

wouldnt condemn anything based on this one episode

might have said 20plus miles when it ran out, but you have to bear in mind when the fuel is that low and its swilling around in the tank,only takes a second for pump to suck air for it to come to a halt..

plus only topping a minimal amount would not make it easy for computer to work out a fairly accurate mileage estimate, especially when it has to take in account of current driving style.

would save your money till it becomes more obvious that there is a problem...such as showing 20 miles with 20 quids worth of fuel and driven at least 5/10 miles to allow computer time to work it out

just going to top up when it reaches 50 miles thanks for the replies

I always run my tank from brimmed to quarter.

Only run below that if I really have to.

Only time the car has been nearly empty was the day I bought it (4 miles range showing), and the nice salesman gave me £60 back to fill up.

I always run my tank from brimmed to quarter.

Only run below that if I really have to.

ditto

ditto

you lot must have plenty off money then to brim a mondeo unfortunatly i havent

you lot must have plenty off money then to brim a mondeo unfortunatly i havent

I never really understand why people say that.

If you fill it up, you're only using fuel at the same rate as if you were fuelling it in dribs and drabs. All you're doing is saving time by NOT having to go to a petrol station five times a week.

• Like 2

Totally agree.

I work hard for my pay so if the car needs a good drink it gets it.

It burns fuel to get to and from a petrol station so why do the trip multiple times if you don't have to?

If you were in a pub would you go to the bar and ask for a half in a pint glass?

You'd be up and down every 5 minutes.

but maybe the extra weight of a full tank actually makes us worse off compared to him i think.i still like to fill er up tho.i couldnt be bothered going to filling station every day of the week.

Edited by jeebowhite
watch the choice of words :)

I personally fill up to brim and run it down as close to 20 miles to go as I can. even with this in toe, I find I still have about 4 litre's left in the tank. By that logic, I probably could go beyond 20 miles, but I try to never get it below 10 miles, even then I had about 2.5 litres left in the tank (took 50.5 to fill up the tank on a 53 litre tank).