Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Auto Box And Brake Query

esmo1978

Hi there new to forum hope ur all ok. Anyway bought an 08 focus titanium 2.0 petrol automatic last week its the first auto ive ever owned but love it already. Couple of queries though first is it seems to take a while sometimes to go from say second to third gear and third to fourth Id say maybe 3 seconds on the latter with my foot down. When it does change the power is straight there with strong acceleration just wondered if this is normal for an auto? Last car was a vrs manual so maybe im used to instant smooth power curves. Secondly the car squeaks when I apply the brakes sometimes although the brakes are very sharp....any ideas why? Thankyou for your time.

Welcome to the club. A delay in power delivery can be normal in some autos although I'm not sure about the Focus as mine is manual. With regards to the brakes it could just be rust build up at the start of the journey? Is it only the first few times you brake? Otherwise try removing the pads and cleaning them up/put some copper slip on the back. This can quite commonly cure squeaking. Hope that helps :)

Congrats on your new purchase, nice car you have. Always wanted the 2.0L variant for more power, but the insurance costs too much as a young driver.

I also have the 4spd Auto - and although its not great, at least it is smooth during normal use. Regarding the gear changing delays - personally I experience some lag when the car is changing DOWN gears - for example on the motorway/dual carriageway cruising in 4th, and you put your foot down to overtake, there is quite some delay before the car shifts down to third. And when it does, it is quite LOUD lol - the last gear ratio is perhaps too tall.

Even when changing UP gears, sometimes (though not always), my car does wait a second or two, so I'd say it is normal.

You have to remember that the 4spd auto box in this car isn't that advanced when compared to other autos (its hardly a ZF 6 spd lol), and as a result, it does consume some more fuel, and shifts do take a little long sometimes. It is also tuned for maximum fuel efficiency, which is why it takes noticeably longer to go down a gear.

Cheers lads ill relax about the gears then and keep an eye on the brakes. The cars so smooth compared to the octavia vrs I part exchanged although I did love the octavia.

Stick the car into sport mode and it gives a little restbite, but I have the 1.6 and with 7 speed (manual mode) I find that if I want it to go up a gear in Drive mode, I have to floor it, then let off a little which then puts the gear up. Certainly putting my foot down and waiting for it to drop automatically results in a wait of a second or so.

I have learned, if I want to make it move, slide over to the M side....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club