Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indicator Stalk

J4rbo

Hi

I have an annoying issue with the indicator stalk for my Mondeo (Titanium X '08 model).

After indication before it clicks back to normal position, sometimes the indicator is still going so I would either have to tap gently on the stalk to stop it, or indicate to the opposite direction and click it back to normal manually before it stops.

Does anyone else have this issue? is this easily fixed or would I need to get the Ford Dealers to replace the (possible faulty) part?

Any advice please? Thank you.

:unsure:

I had this problem with 2 cars & turned out to be knackered comms unit(where indicator stalk joins to column). I know a guy(me lol) who took one apart once & reassembled it poorly, & the little spring thing inside was sitting wrong.Never tried it on mk4 though.

ended up going to scrappy & getting another one. theyre not cheap to buy new i know that!

someone on here will know if mk4's units can be stripped down.Its a pain though usually

Sounds like the return spring is busted, you could probably resolve this with a new stalk and fitting it yourself.

• 10 months later...

I ended up following this and (touch wood) for the last couple of weeks the annoying indication has stopped :)

1, Remove both screws from under the steering colunm, lift the top cover off and drop the bottom cover.
2, Remove the two screws holding in the stalk.
3, Pull the stalk away towards the door, you will have the indicator unit in your hand.
4, On the unit is a small circuit board, held on with 2 screws, remove the screws.
5, On the other side ,of this circuit board are copper tracks and contacts.
6, Clean these contacts,
7, Put it all back together, problem sorted, 20 minutes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

J4rbo. That worked for me. Thank you. 

• 6 months later...
On 9/4/2014 at 4:42 PM, J4rbo said:

I ended up following this and (touch wood) for the last couple of weeks the annoying indication has stopped :)

1, Remove both screws from under the steering colunm, lift the top cover off and drop the bottom cover.
2, Remove the two screws holding in the stalk.
3, Pull the stalk away towards the door, you will have the indicator unit in your hand.
4, On the unit is a small circuit board, held on with 2 screws, remove the screws.
5, On the other side ,of this circuit board are copper tracks and contacts.
6, Clean these contacts,
7, Put it all back together, problem sorted, 20 minutes

I followed these steps too and it's worked a treat. Thanks for posting!

• 6 months later...

Hello Mr J4rbo,

I hope it's still okay to necro-reply in this thread.

I had basically the same issue in my Mondeo Titanium Mk4 2008 (2.0 tdci if that matters), so I decided to try your advice and.... that worked!

So as a contribution to the thread that saved me a headache, list of tools I used:

• for step 1 from the original recipe: torx T20 (long-ish one, 8 cm was minimum) and 7mm socket
  • for step 2: torx T10, then obviously small philips screwdriver for step 4.

I had to spend some time in Bunnings trying to find the set with correct sizes, so hopefully that'll save someone a minute or two.

Thanks again, @J4rbo!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Had a very similar issue on a Mondeo mk4 2008 but with the wipers as opposed to indicators. wiper worked on fast but not slow or intermittent. Removed cowling as above. Removed wiper stalk which is also held in place with 2 t10 screws. Removed the small printed circuit as described above. Cleaned the contacts on back of circuit board with cotton buds and WD40. Refitted and all working again. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club